Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2007, 11:46 PM   #1
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Default Rant: Motorcycle/Scooter Riders in city

now,
im normally one to be a little quick behind the wheel, overtaking where needed (and sometimes when not) but i have become to get very annoyed at motorcyclists and vespa/scooter riders in general..

now. here is where the story comes in... in the past 3 weeks.
i have hit, not nearly hit 2 riders being absolute idiots and had a great number of near misses in the 8 months i have lived in the city (sydney)

what is annoying me...
a)chopping in between lanes, i have 2 major scratches from the handle bars of riders who have tried to squeeze between me and another car, and have just ridden off.
b) overtaking cars stopped in traffic OVER DOUBLE LINES WITH ON COMING TRAFFIC! this is just dangerous for them and other around as its just monumentally stupid.
c) overtaking everyone to be at the front of the lights...
if the bike is quicker then me, in most cases i dont really mind,,, but when 50cc vespas do this, its just making me angry...

now, the 2 incidents,
both where the rider was not ment to be, and in my blind spots... im not looking for a object in my blindspot when there is not ment to be one...

once turing into a side street from a main road.. the bike was jumping up the inside... my rear door and drivers door damaged quite bad... the vespa in question totaled and the rider not much better off..

second time me turning into another street (right turn at any time kinda thing with a pedestrian crossing... a bike going up the inside to get infront of the lights... rider shaken (charged with neg driving, not indicating and a few other things) and bike scratched...

now... the laws need to be tougher on bikes for this sort of behaviour, its just reducilous!!!!
who is with me!

Old 04-11-2007, 12:15 AM   #2
Damien
Behind The Mixing Desk

What really annoys me is when I'm waiting at traffic lights on a dual carriageway road and a motorcycle sneaks up in between the two lanes of traffic to get to the front of the pack. I mean, I know motorcycles can get a quicker take off from the lights, but I don't believe it's legal and I don't think it's very safe.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #3
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
What really annoys me is when I'm waiting at traffic lights on a dual carriageway road and a motorcycle sneaks up in between the two lanes of traffic to get to the front of the pack. I mean, I know motorcycles can get a quicker take off from the lights, but I don't believe it's legal and I don't think it's very safe.
its not legal.
and they get booked for neg/dangerous driving... i would like it to be enforced MUCH HARDER though
Old 05-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
It is legal in some states and should be legal in all.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't like bikes, ban them, lock up the riders. They don't like doof doofs or modded cars, ban them lock the drivers.

Pretty soon the road is safe because the only thing left are pedestrians and you two are in jail for possession of modded cars with doof wondering "How the F*&^%$)*K did this happen".

Get along with everyone else it will be better in the long run.

Oh and as you do not ride I will explain it to you. The reason why WE push to the front is so we lessen the chance of getting run over and killed by doof doof texting ipoding mutant bogan idiot p-plate dropkicks in modded riced up falcon/commy/jap thing/korean thing who spend most of their time looking EVERYWHERE except the road ahead because they are expert drivers.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You don't like bikes, ban them, lock up the riders. They don't like doof doofs or modded cars, ban them lock the drivers.

Pretty soon the road is safe because the only thing left are pedestrians and you two are in jail for possession of modded cars with doof wondering "How the F*&^%$)*K did this happen".

Oh and as you do not ride I will explain it to you. The reason why WE push to the front is so we lessen the chance of getting run over and killed by doof doof texting ipoding mutant bogan idiot p-plate dropkicks in modded riced up falcon/commy/jap thing/korean thing who spend most of their time looking EVERYWHERE except the road ahead because they are expert drivers.......
Ditto Flappy.... It seems that the only drivers that have issues with motor cyclists are the ones that dont, or have never, riden motor cycles on the road. I always give motor cyclists, and now days, scooter riders plenty of slack. There are lots of people that are using these things through necessity. I may sometimes get a little annoyed at being held up by a scooter, but that is better than carrying the bourdon of knowing that I hurt someone, or worse. Even if technically they are at fault. A good driver is a patient and tolerant driver.... except when it comes to commodud's. Then all bets are off!!! (just kidding guys)
Old 04-11-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
SP.UTE1
Burning Up 98 Octane

Quote:

X 2, Flappist for Prime Minister :
Old 04-11-2007, 11:50 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have an issue with riders moving up between STATIONARY cars to get to the front (as long as they don't scratch my car), but I am seeing more of them doing it in moving traffic. The things some car drivers do are pretty shocking too. You have a car driver seeing a gap in the next lane and then moving across - if a rider is coming between the cars at that time, they get hit. The driver is less likely to look for the rider moving between moving cars because they shouldn't be doing it at all!

A rider got killed on the Sth Eastern Freeway a few months back - someone I know saw the rider a minute before he got cleaned up by a semi trailer, the guy was zipping between cars on the freeway!
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

I don't think this will change much , it's been that way with bikes since I got my licence in 1970 , just on a larger scale ( more cars/bikes on the road )

I got my bike permit somewhere around the Mid 80's , Dad had a massive "Yamaha 100" : , rode it around the block twice and never touched it again . I found there was "2 wheels missing" AND the damn roof leaked .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 PM   #10
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
You left out those self important cucksockers in S class Mercs etc... however, couldn't have put it better myself.
Anyone else not class scooter riders as "Motorcyclists"? Seems to me they're generally about getting to work cheaper rather than all the stuff that makes a motorcyclist a motorcyclist...

Last edited by Gammaboy; 04-11-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Gammaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #11
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Great post Flappist.

I ride. You bet I lane split. For pretty much the reasons mentioned by (funnily enough) all the riders!

Im yet to see one valid reason from Cagers why we shouldnt lane split again.

In fact there are some pretty damn poor (and scary) reasons coming up - which for me further reinforces my decision to lane splitting in the first place.

To get the hell away from people in cars with attitudes like that........
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 10:27 PM   #12
SuperMono

Quote:

Flappy for Prime Minister, Vote 1.

I have to agree, to a point, but add that as a rider I also have to say that I see a large number of riders with a seeming death wish doing stupid things.
If you want to ride, start here.
1. Everybody else does want to kill you.
2. Just because they are looking at you doesn't mean you are safe, they are just taking aim.
3. The throttle turns both ways.
4. Slowingly moving past cars that are STOPPED is relatively safe, going within 10 metres of a moving one is death.
5. All Speed Triples and XR12 Buells have to wheelstand from the lights, it is in the owners manual.
Buy a scooter for the city.
SuperMono is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMono

5. All Speed Triples and XR12 Buells have to wheelstand from the lights, it is in the owners manual..
No fear of damaging a bike that comes "pre-crashed" from the factory.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 01:02 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

There is on going debate about the legalities. Its a grey area in the law.

As for why they do it. Ride a bike in the middle of traffic with some of the drivers on the road and you will soon see why it is done.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 AM   #15
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i personally have ridden and do ride a bike in the city on occasion..
i gave up riding to work as the gas car is just as quick and i don't get wet!
i have no problems with a bike of adequate speed and rider skill being in front of me at the lights...

however i do have a problem with the riders flaunting the law riding in between city traffic and cutting off other road users...
Old 04-11-2007, 02:12 AM   #16
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Bestrafe, I'd be ****ed about those two riders as well. They have no defence - they're taught very clearly just how responsible they are for their own safety in the licencing training (which is real training, not the nancy test you do for a cage licence). I'd say they are just as bad behind the wheel of a car.

The reason riders split to the front is simply because they can, no point getting annoyed about it because they'll be gone before you can get a good head of steam up anyway... don't like it? get a bike! That's what they did! and you might even realise how much fun it is compared to driving a cage.

Agree somewhat on the 50cc side of things, I'd suggest that those riders - who are likely new to the moto scene - will either realise the error of their ways themselves and cease and desist, or Darwin will step in to decide their fate for them. But best to treat them like cyclists, and remember that you could very easily have their death on your conscience should you do the wrong thing.

Scooter sales are increasing at something like 30% each year, so get used to it...

As for riding down the double centrelines, I've only ever seen outlaw Hardley types doing that. But anyone who does should immediately forfeit their riders licence.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #17
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Get over it
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 03:51 PM   #18
bowsaw

Got to ride with a bit of common sense, i skip thjrough in moving traffic, but i will go to the next car, wait for a bit, then make the next jump, not in one go, as i have seen so many do, to many morons in cars out there, and i sure do go to the front of the line of i can, why not, got to be some compensation for putting up with idiots in cars, i have never had a accident in 24 yrs of riding.
bowsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM   #19
SlikedTurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowsaw
i have never had a accident in 24 yrs of riding.
yeah, but you've probably caused 100s

Last edited by SlikedTurb; 05-11-2007 at 09:25 AM.
SlikedTurb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Conrad
Banned

This is a touchy subject for me as my older brother was just in a serious motorbike accident and will be in the hospitals for 3 months with 2 broken legs.

He didn't hit anyone or get hit and he wasn't speeding. Rear wheel slipped on damp leaves on the road and slid into a guard rail.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
kaldek

Honestly you can only say why motorbike riders do things or why they feel justified to do things if you're also a rider. Obviously, I ride (every day - my XR6 Turbo is the "family car"). My father has been riding bikes 10 years before I was born, and I'm 33.

He taught me a very valuable lesson: "Either move through the cars or they will move through you". And he is DAMN right - due to being so vulnerable the bike rider must ensure his energies are spent on where he needs to be - and if you're always ahead of (or faster than) cars, you can focus *forwards* rather than backwards.

Did you know that Police bike riders are taught to lane split to the front of traffic lights, because it is known to be safer? At the front of the queue you can get away quick and then focus on the road surface ahead, not worrying about all the cars behind and around you.

YES, some bikers take it too far - witness the guy who rides between the cars at a constant warp speed. He never slows down based on what's coming up, never seems to be wary of cars that are likely to cut him off. Some people may survive 40 years doing this through sheer chance, others will come unstuck. Personally, I lane split between moving traffic but never more than 20km/h faster than the cars/trucks as it means I can always wash that speed off if someone cuts me off right in front of me. I also "bunny hop" in bursts of speed so that I'm never sitting in a blind spot (I prefer to be next to the driver's front quarter panel where I am glued in their vision). I also slow right down if one lane of traffic is moving and the other lane is stopped - this is a PRIME case where when a gap opens up the guy in the stopped lane attempts to dart out into the moving lane.

Knowing what to do in traffic and survive on a bike is something I call "biker ESP". You have to know what makes drivers tick, and understand when the frustration makes them change lanes. You also have to know when it's safe to overtake, and how fast you need to do it (sometimes REALLY fast).

Oh, and for those of you who drive to work on the South Eastern Freeway in Melbourne, I ride a red bike with twin underseat pipes, a black-silver helmet, grey jacket, and a black bag on the back of the bike. I leave from Cranbourne about 8:40 am and arrive in the city at 9:15 (so you can decide if it's me you see). Next time you see me zip past you and make you think I'm being a tool, please consider that I am 110% mentally committed to what I'm doing and had made an assessment of what you and the cars around you were likely to be doing 5-10 seconds before I even passed you. I am certainly not "fecking about", but if I wanted to take 1-2 hours to get to the city I may as well also drive a car. Getting there in 40 minutes requires lane splitting.

Last edited by kaldek; 05-11-2007 at 12:09 AM.
kaldek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #22
SlikedTurb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldek
Honestly you can only say why motorbike riders do things or why they feel justified to do things if you're also a rider. Obviously, I ride (every day - my XR6 Turbo is the "family car"). My father has been riding bikes 10 years before I was born, and I'm 33.

He taught me a very valuable lesson: "Either move through the cars or they will move through you". And he is DAMN right - due to being so vulnerable the bike rider must ensure his energies are spent on where he needs to be - and if you're always ahead of (or faster than) cars, you can focus *forwards* rather than backwards.

Did you know that Police bike riders are taught to lane split to the front of traffic lights, because it is known to be safer? At the front of the queue you can get away quick and then focus on the road surface ahead, not worrying about all the cars behind and around you.

YES, some bikers take it too far - witness the guy who rides between the cars at a constant warp speed. He never slows down based on what's coming up, never seems to be wary of cars that are likely to cut him off. Some people may survive 40 years doing this through sheer chance, others will come unstuck. Personally, I lane split between moving traffic but never more than 20km/h faster than the cars/trucks as it means I can always wash that speed off if someone cuts me off right in front of me. I also "bunny hop" in bursts of speed so that I'm never sitting in a blind spot (I prefer to be next to the driver's front quarter panel where I am glued in their vision). I also slow right down if one lane of traffic is moving and the other lane is stopped - this is a PRIME case where when a gap opens up the guy in the stopped lane attempts to dart out into the moving lane.

Knowing what to do in traffic and survive on a bike is something I call "biker ESP". You have to know what makes drivers tick, and understand when the frustration makes them change lanes. You also have to know when it's safe to overtake, and how fast you need to do it (sometimes REALLY fast).

Oh, and for those of you who drive to work on the South Eastern Freeway in Melbourne, I ride a red bike with twin underseat pipes, a black-silver helmet, grey jacket, and a black bag on the back of the bike. I leave from Cranbourne about 8:40 am and arrive in the city at 9:15 (so you can decide if it's me you see). Next time you see me zip past you and make you think I'm being a tool, please consider that I am 110% mentally committed to what I'm doing and had made an assessment of what you and the cars around you were likely to be doing 5-10 seconds before I even passed you. I am certainly not "fecking about", but if I wanted to take 1-2 hours to get to the city I may as well also drive a car. Getting there in 40 minutes requires lane splitting.
Typical "all about ME" mentallity.

"I've got to be there in the lightning fast time so i'm going to break the law to do it. STUFF everybody else. Who cares about them."
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #23
freaky

motorbike riders i dont mind. its the scooter riders in the city with their business suits on that annoy me zipping up the inside scratching my car. sh&ts me to tears.

and cyclists that decide my car is something they can lean on at the lights. :
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #24
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikedTurb
Typical "all about ME" mentallity.

"I've got to be there in the lightning fast time so i'm going to break the law to do it. STUFF everybody else. Who cares about them."
*I* have to survive and avoid being hit by 2 tonne of steel/aluminium/plastic driven by *you*. Perhaps you can understand how motorcyclists are all about *me* in traffic... Its not about getting anywhere faster you idiot.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #25
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
*I* have to survive and avoid being hit by 2 tonne of steel/aluminium/plastic driven by *you*. Perhaps you can understand how motorcyclists are all about *me* in traffic... Its not about getting anywhere faster you idiot.
Then drive a car :

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #26
SlikedTurb

Quote:
if you read the post that i quoted, you would realise that the person in question was talking about how he takes 40 mins to get from Cranbourne to the city which in peak hour traffic is atleast a 1:30-2:00 drive in a car. he does this because he "doesn't want to take 1:30-2:00 to get to the city. "
so clearly it IS about getting somewhere faster than me. YOU IDIOT!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #27
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

I can't believe some of the views these people have on motorcyclists : !

I wonder if some of you realise that there is a fragile human on that motorcycle in front of you that could easily be thrown off even if you touch them slightly? :togo: Whenever I drive behind a motorcycle, I leave double the room than I would in a car. Why? Because when I'm driving behind a car, I think "If I don't brake in time and hit them, then it's just a fender bender..no-one's hurt." If I dont brake in time and touch the rear tyre of a bike with my front bumper, then that motorcyclist will lose control and most likely be done-for and it's my fault. The motorcyclist is more at risk and so he/she rides in such a manner to reduce risk (yes by lane splitting and getting ahead of traffic), and as a courtesy I give them space. It's people that don't adjust to the conditions and treat every vehicle on the road the same that make life difficult.

[OT]Don't tell me you drive the same around trucks as you do as any car? Tailgating one without realising that a rock can be picked up and tossed at your windscreen by their two wheels at the back, or staying along side them, not giving them any room in case they need to swerve to avoid something in their lane. People always complain "oh bloody motorcyclists/trucks/bicyclists/commodores/etc" without realising that that vehicle is being driven by a ordinary human being like yourself, not some separate species of human with super abilities that they can only drive/ride that particular vehicle. That person could just as easily be you, put yourself in their shoes.[/OT]

Quote:
Quoted for truth.
SlikedTurb has no idea....:
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 PM   #28
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldek
I am certainly not "fecking about", but if I wanted to take 1-2 hours to get to the city I may as well also drive a car. Getting there in 40 minutes requires lane splitting.
And there it is.

Don't rant on about safety, because lane spliting moving traffic is not about safety. It's about getting somewhere faster than the rest, whilst breaking the law.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #29
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
And there it is.

Don't rant on about safety, because lane spliting moving traffic is not about safety. It's about getting somewhere faster than the rest, whilst breaking the law.
I have no idea about NZ road laws but here in Australia (the au in aff.com.au does not stand for gold you know) it is NOT ILLEGAL.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #30
XR8putts

Quote:
I have no idea about NZ road laws but here in Australia (the au in aff.com.au does not stand for gold you know) it is NOT ILLEGAL.
Fair call. Now tackle the first part of that sentence.

For the record it is illegal in NZ. But yes, this is AFF.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post