Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Australian cars

Seeing the latest Mazda advert for their new ute, they show it driving around outback australia with catchphrases like 'built for australian conditions'. they stay on the 'australian' message right to the end. only missing the 'australian made' (because they can't lie).

i was thinking the "buy australian" message is being used by foreign companies like Mazda, so it's obviously still a useful message. why doesn't Ford make patriotic adverts for their (actually) Australian Made cars?

Old 09-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Australian cars

Because Ford suck at selling things.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
ZING - quote of the week for me!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Quote:
bazinga!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Supercharged

Quote:
Spot on, well said.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Spot on, well said.
I'll agree with that!

Holden infests the TV with adverts for the Commodore...how far it gets on a tank, new engines, features, special offers...but I honestly can't remember the last "official" Ford Falcon TV advert I saw, apart from some local dealers showing special deals. Certainly no big bucks ad campaigns like Holden apparently doesn't shy away from.

Ford is very good at the TV adverts for Fiesta, Focus, and other small Fords...but where are the creative and entertaining Falcon adverts??
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I honestly can't remember the last "official" Ford Falcon TV advert I saw,
At the moment the official campaign is 'you buy a car with your Heart and your Head'.
i've seen them a few times, they even featured a falcon in one!
Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
At the moment the official campaign is 'you buy a car with your Heart and your Head'.
i've seen them a few times, they even featured a falcon in one!
i would say ford advertise their model mix rather evenly, rather than put all their eggs in the falcon basket, and i think its working for them.

its only the fans on AFF that want it to still be the falcon car company.

i'm not suggesting the falcon is selling well, but if you look at the products about to come online in the next 6 months or so, i don't believe ford are carrying on like many on here assume.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have to agree! If i was to buy a car on with either tv or papers or magazins as advertising media alone..... I would buy a holden.... or anything other than a Ford!!!!!!
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i was thinking the "buy australian" message is being used by foreign companies like Mazda, so it's obviously still a useful message. why doesn't Ford make patriotic adverts for their (actually) Australian Made cars?
Because they would have to be very careful as to what was said, and run the risk of major humiliation and probably some fines, if their locally made cars do not fit the "interpretation" of australian made product. The following interpretations are used by the organisation that hands out the "australian made" logo.

Quote:
Australian Made
The product is substantially transformed in Australia and at least 50 per cent of the cost of production has been incurred in Australia.
The key point here, is that you may have a Falcon going for $34000, but you have to wipe out on road costs (approx $5000), and you have to wipe out R&D and depreciation etc (probably $7000 per car), to get a real car cost of car production. ie probably in the low to mid $20's. Then you need to work out if $13,000 of the Falcon was actually produced in Australia. 1800 workers making 2500 cars a month, only equates to about $3600 of Ford labour into the car, maybe double that for Ford supplier australian employees, and you get $7200. Add in material costs etc, and you would probably make the 50% mark with the Falcon, commodore and Territory.

But just look at every cruze ad you see, you dont see "australian made" written up, you see australian built, ie we cant call it australian made becasue 50% of it is not produced in australia.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well, even though it's a third-rate Daewoo whose styling seems inspired by a squashed crab and the Chrysler Sebring. How come the Territory isn't marketed as Australia's own SUV?
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well
Sell well, but to whom? Holden dealers? Government fleets? It's been suggested that Holden dealers have quite a large number of licensed, plated brand new cars on their lots, and we know that VFacts obtains its 'sales' data from new vehicle registrations...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Sell well, but to whom? Holden dealers? Government fleets? It's been suggested that Holden dealers have quite a large number of licensed, plated brand new cars on their lots, and we know that VFacts obtains its 'sales' data from new vehicle registrations...
Didn't know that. That's so dishonest.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Didn't know that. That's so dishonest.
I'm not saying it's true...but just some food for thought that's all.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #15
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Ford does exactly the same thing.
I have lost count of the number of times I have seen large Ford Dealer ads in the paper saying "Demo sale... registered but never driven....30 to choose from."
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #16
ray38l

Quote:
and who suggested it? Someone who is on this forum that come up with a theory to explain why holden's are selling more, doesn't seem very credible.
For it to work holden would have to be registering hundreds of unsold cars every month for such a small gain. Sounds good as a conspiracy theory until you think about it.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Weren't there rumours last year that Ford were going to use a new slogan. True Blue or something like that?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

As I said earlier, I'm not saying it's the gospel...its worth raising though in the context of what is sold to who, which we will never really know.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
They still sell them in the end...

Its not like they have 4 million Holden Commodores sitting in the Australian Desert with number plates on them just so they can get sales figures up!! Lol. They all do it, as part of their Franchise agreesments dealers must put on Demo cars 1) for demo purposes, 2) for staff to drive and 3) bonus rebates.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
They still sell them in the end...

Its not like they have 4 million Holden Commodores sitting in the Australian Desert with number plates on them just so they can get sales figures up!! Lol. They all do it, as part of their Franchise agreesments dealers must put on Demo cars 1) for demo purposes, 2) for staff to drive and 3) bonus rebates.

Its true, they have to sell them in the end, and I am guessing the practice is used to boost or smooth out sales in the short to medium term. For example, if Holden were going to have a 2500 commodore month, then the general public would think the car is one its way out (probably what is plagueing the Falcon right now). Throw an extra 1000 cars at the dealer network (with $900 each to rego them), and the cost is $900,000 to them. Lose the biggest selling car status for the month, and the advertising required (or negative publicity) to get everything back up is probably more than $900,000.

And dare I say, Holden write some pretty stupid contracts when they outsource stuff. Some suppliers have them over a barrel when it comes to production quantities. If Holden dont take them, they still have to pay for them.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Quote:
The Cruze is constantly marketed as 'Australia's own small car', and manages to sell well, even though it's a third-rate Daewoo whose styling seems inspired by a squashed crab and the Chrysler Sebring. How come the Territory isn't marketed as Australia's own SUV?
My thoughts exactly! I hope Ford go down this path when they start advertising the new Terri.
On a positive note, I've heard some radio adds pushing the "Australian Designed & Engineered" New Ford Ranger. I hope this ramps up on both radio & television when it comes online also.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #22
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
The key point here, is that you may have a Falcon going for $34000, but you have to wipe out on road costs (approx $5000), and you have to wipe out R&D and depreciation etc (probably $7000 per car), to get a real car cost of car production. ie probably in the low to mid $20's. Then you need to work out if $13,000 of the Falcon was actually produced in Australia. 1800 workers making 2500 cars a month, only equates to about $3600 of Ford labour into the car, maybe double that for Ford supplier australian employees, and you get $7200. Add in material costs etc, and you would probably make the 50% mark with the Falcon, commodore and Territory.
Bob I was refering to your above comments (not the definition of Australian made)

And my point is that suppliers dont have Holden over a barrel as you suggested - Do you honestly think some big suppliers manipulated poor litte innocent Holden into signing a contract, so as you stated they could have them over a barrel? Holden wouldnt have signed the contracts if there was no benefit to them. Unfortunately for all GFC came and Holden had to slash its output (as did the suppliers) If you think the suppliers are benefited from this in anyway I suggest you go out and speak to some of them and see what they say.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :

Last edited by SB076; 10-06-2011 at 04:03 PM.
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 04:17 PM   #23
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No - Ford suck at Marketing things, some of us on the showroom floor aren't too bad at selling them though :P
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #24
stang65
FPRJET

Hey guys careful, this is a Ford Forum you don`t want to get the closet Holden supporters upset. it makes me laugh everytime I see some of these guys go off their rocket as soon as you say something about Holden.

If only Ford had such loyalty.......
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #25
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fingers ad used Australian fingers in a commercial approved by an American CEO and made by people who didn't like cars.

Its all a very democratic process at Ford, where the car isn't the main focus anymore, nor the customer, but rather can the American born Ford Australia President not completely screw up and make his two years in Australia, before getting the hell of out here still as a Ford employee? Thats the real goal of Ford Australia now.

At Holden they are still hung up on the concept of selling cars, which is all so very 1980's by Ford standards.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 09-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #26
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
At Holden they are still hung up on the concept of selling cars, which is all so very 1980's by Ford standards.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Australian Made cars?
Personally I think using the word "Australian Made" when talking about cars is a very bad thing.. Most australian think Asutralian built cars are crap & badly built!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #28
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda are making the claim based on the 'design' element done in conjunction with the Ranger.
Doesn't matter how Ford advertise if the dealer experience sucks!
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post