Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-08-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Why does buying cars in 2021 still suck?

I just put in an offer on a car on carsales located interstate at a dealership.

I've given them via email/messaging application

1) Price I'm happy to pay
2) Request for quotation on transportation costs to me in VIC, which again I'm happy to pay.
3) My address for transportation quote/costs
4) I Will pay for the vehicle immediately, send your bank details and I will send remittance advice.

First thing they did was attempt to call me multiple times, which I didn't answer because I'm at work.

Then sent me a text asking if I want to know anything about the vehicle.

No, I don't want to know anything about the vehicle I just want to buy it as per my email/message.

Why can't they just respond to my message with either:

1) Yes we accept your offer
1a) Here is our BSB and account number, payable in full
2) We are investigating transport options and will advise further
3) Receipt for payment on vehicle

Or alternatively:

1) No, we reject your offer but we'll take X amount.

It seems buying cars is always a poor user experience, why can't I just buy it over email/online, transfer the money and a couple days later it turns up in my driveway? Much like literally everything else you can purchase online.

I bought one of my colleagues a new ute on behalf of my workplace a couple years ago, and I had to leave my office to visit their premises more than FIVE times to buy a god damn ute and over 10 phone calls because he'd refuse to do ANYTHING via emails.

Then I'm dealing with some slob with his shirt half untucked, not knowing what he's done with paperwork on his desk while he slowly walks around the showroom asking his colleagues if they've seen the paperwork - Ive got **** to do stop wasting my time.

I hate this industry, specifically buying cars from dealerships, it's one of the last holdouts refusing to offer options to their customers for purchasing their goods.

What are your thoughts? Do you like this dealership experience/model or would you be happy with having the option of purchasing vehicles online and having them turn up at your home or workplace whether new or second hand?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why does buying cars in 2021 still suck?

No disrespect to you but you sound "too good to be true/a wood duck" so they are probably just making sure you are legit.

I think you are being a bit harsh in my opinion on the automotive industry, just my opinion and no one else either, sounds like you've had a few bad experiences in the past, it is no different to buying goods from any other industry, you get the good and bad.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
No disrespect to you but you sound "too good to be true/a wood duck" so they are probably just making sure you are legit.

I think you are being a bit harsh in my opinion on the automotive industry, just my opinion and no one else either, sounds like you've had a few bad experiences in the past, it is no different to buying goods from any other industry, you get the good and bad.
How does a phone call make me legit? The only time I'm going to answer my either of my personal phones at work is if I'm on the ****ter.

I work in the industry myself, I've got customers who spend 7 figures who I've never spoken to over the phone, or even met, yet we seem to be able to get things to and from all over the world without having to talk on the phone.

I don't see why cars are so different, have a buy it now price and an offer system on a website and then a payment gateway, its not that difficult.

Especially when half the country are under lockdowns and have restricted movement.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The last 3 new cars I have bought have all be hassle free and done via email or phone when necessary. All have been hassle free without me setting foot in the dealership. As above, from their point of view you are probably too good to be true. A quick 3 minute phone call to let them know you are genuine but you are busy generally helps. Then they are quite happy to deal online. You can't blame them as I'm sure they are constantly getting tyre kickers via email.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

2) Request for quotation on transportation costs to me in VIC, which again I'm happy to pay.
4) I Will pay for the vehicle immediately, send your bank details and I will send remittance advice.

First thing they did was attempt to call me multiple times, which I didn't answer because I'm at work.

No, I don't want to know anything about the vehicle I just want to buy it as per my email/message.

Or alternatively:

It seems buying cars is always a poor user experience, why can't I just buy it over email/online, transfer the money and a couple days later it turns up in my driveway? Much like literally everything else you can purchase online.

I bought one of my colleagues a new ute on behalf of my workplace a couple years ago, and I had to leave my office to visit their premises more than FIVE times to buy a god damn ute and over 10 phone calls because he'd refuse to do ANYTHING via emails.

Then I'm dealing with some slob with his shirt half untucked, not knowing what he's done with paperwork on his desk while he slowly walks around the showroom asking his colleagues if they've seen the paperwork - Ive got **** to do stop wasting my time.

I hate this industry, specifically buying cars from dealerships, it's one of the last holdouts refusing to offer options to their customers for purchasing their goods.

What are your thoughts? Do you like this dealership experience/model or would you be happy with having the option of purchasing vehicles online and having them turn up at your home or workplace whether new or second hand?
I would expect my sales staff to be in touch with you also.

And why? For a lot of reasons.

Your offer: Who are you? Are you a private buyer? Are you a business purchaser? Perhaps you are a member of a particular sporting club which entitles you to stronger pricing. Perhaps you're a member of master builders in which case, again, will impact pricing. Perhaps under those circumstances you offer can be achieved - otherwise maybe not? Is it so hard for you to allow us to ask you that question?

While some people do know what they're buying, often they don't know that the model or spec level is exactly what they want or need and further clarity is required. Sometimes this even saves people money to which they are very appreciative of.

Are you having the vehicle registered in your relevant state? Now days, given that most manufacturers have to report their figures based on what VFACTS reports to the govt, us as the dealer probably want to discuss timelines, intentions etc so that they can be aware of how they are reporting. After all, I have a couple of enquiries interstate on my vehicles at present but I'm reluctant to do business because the time it will take for it to ship interstate etc will miss the end of month cut off and I may very well find a buyer locally (understandably, this message can be relayed to you.)

Leading a sales team, I would also ask them to discuss the pricing with you with the aim of getting you to pay more - and the way to do this is not to respond to you with our offer because, as the process goes, there's no stopping that price then being put in front of another dealer to be shopped against. You may think stiff titties on this front but it explains why they don't want to play the game your way.

You say that the process is a poor user experience and why can't you just buy it over email/online? To that I'd say, why can't you answer the phone for a 5 min chat? Building relationships is always a great thing with car sales people because they'll be in your debt and more wanting to help you with any questions or concerns you may have in the future.

You also compare it to everything else you purchase online but, sorry, I think you're missing the point that the average new car purchase is $20k or more these days. You wouldn't make that comment about purchasing property.

Ultimately, the industry has itself to blame for its practices but when our market is fragmented, each brand has too many showrooms and each sales person is out for himself - this matched with Australian's penchant for haggling and bringing car dealerships in to bidding wars, it's of no surprise that they play a bit hard when it comes to communication methods and trust.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I would expect my sales staff to be in touch with you also.

And why? For a lot of reasons.

Your offer: Who are you? Are you a private buyer? Are you a business purchaser? Perhaps you are a member of a particular sporting club which entitles you to stronger pricing. Perhaps you're a member of master builders in which case, again, will impact pricing. Perhaps under those circumstances you offer can be achieved - otherwise maybe not? Is it so hard for you to allow us to ask you that question?

While some people do know what they're buying, often they don't know that the model or spec level is exactly what they want or need and further clarity is required. Sometimes this even saves people money to which they are very appreciative of.

Are you having the vehicle registered in your relevant state? Now days, given that most manufacturers have to report their figures based on what VFACTS reports to the govt, us as the dealer probably want to discuss timelines, intentions etc so that they can be aware of how they are reporting. After all, I have a couple of enquiries interstate on my vehicles at present but I'm reluctant to do business because the time it will take for it to ship interstate etc will miss the end of month cut off and I may very well find a buyer locally (understandably, this message can be relayed to you.)

Leading a sales team, I would also ask them to discuss the pricing with you with the aim of getting you to pay more - and the way to do this is not to respond to you with our offer because, as the process goes, there's no stopping that price then being put in front of another dealer to be shopped against. You may think stiff titties on this front but it explains why they don't want to play the game your way.

You say that the process is a poor user experience and why can't you just buy it over email/online? To that I'd say, why can't you answer the phone for a 5 min chat? Building relationships is always a great thing with car sales people because they'll be in your debt and more wanting to help you with any questions or concerns you may have in the future.

You also compare it to everything else you purchase online but, sorry, I think you're missing the point that the average new car purchase is $20k or more these days. You wouldn't make that comment about purchasing property.

Ultimately, the industry has itself to blame for its practices but when our market is fragmented, each brand has too many showrooms and each sales person is out for himself - this matched with Australian's penchant for haggling and bringing car dealerships in to bidding wars, it's of no surprise that they play a bit hard when it comes to communication methods and trust.
Alright, to put it into perspective, I also work in sales, though I have 7200 customers (that's only ones with accounts) at work, who fit into 6 types of businesses, which fit into one of 19 different pricing structures, I deal in 8 different categories of product, talking to people all over Australia and some international customers. I also do the sourcing side, so sourcing AND selling. Primarily business to business but I'll do retail too no dramas.

Generally a typical day for me is I'll talk to 40 different people a day on the phone, a further 70 people via email and throw in a couple of walk ins for people who want to come in (even though they're not supposed to cause you know, lockdown).

A concept I live my 'professional life' (lol) by is being easy to deal with - you can come in and chat to me, you can email, you can call, you can send me texts, by fax, contact me on our social media page, hell I had a guy send me a sales inquiry via good old fashioned snail mail recently because he struggled sending me a picture via email so he printed it off, hand wrote me a letter and sent it in to me

What I don't do is try force customers to contact me via my preferred contact method (email), what you are telling me is you're trying to build relationships and progress my sales inquiry further, but you are using the one cookie-cutter approach for everyone and trying to force me to communicate on your preferred terms, humans aren't 'one size fits all' and its an oldskool method.

I don't give people a reason to start looking elsewhere because its too hard to find out what you are asking about.

I don't have a problem talking to people over the phone, hell I love a chat and I can talk the leg off a chair and at a velocity you'll struggle to understand

But if its for me personally, then I'll call you when I'm available to take phone calls (which is OUTSIDE of business hours), but then you aren't at work? I made this point to someone when I returned their phone call at 1AM and then kept ringing and ringing and ringing and ringing until they answered the phone - I'm available for your phone call now?

Everything you've asked for you can ask me by responding to my sales inquiry by how I contacted you in the first place, if I'm sending you an email its likely I want you to respond to me via email, or I would have just called or mentioned for you to call me in my sales inquiry.

I too get 'tyre kickers', its usually people trying to buy direct and back door my reseller network thinking they can save money by buying direct from me, but I still respond to their inquiries and give them courtesy of a response (and a justification of why its the way it is) - courtesy is free.

The value of the car doesn't matter - as I said I've got customers spending 7 figures I've never met aside from email exchanges and they're not coming to collect their goods it just turns up at their door step or into their warehouse.

I'm not saying you ditch the traditional sales methods of the dealership model, but its nice to be able to offer options to your potential customers, I'd have thought a customer whose proposed an offer, say you accepted it, was willing to give you credit card payment over the phone or EFT with remittance advice is probably the easiest sale of the day? Then you just had to get it on a truck to leave, didn't even have to stand up from your desk.

A good example today of contact via email, again as me being the potential customer was I'm working on a resource project because I'm getting stiffed by one of my suppliers, I drafted an email, included photos with detailed measurements and then used that as a template to contact 5 manufacturers within Australia and another 10 across Turkey, Poland, France, China, Taiwan, Greece and Italy.

I could make 5 phone calls to talk to the local suppliers and spend hours on the phone trying to explain something them, or spend a little time crafting a detailed email with everything they need to just fire back an email with part number, price per unit, minimum order quantity, production lead time, shipping weights and dimensions - job done for them, I have quality information provided to me to make my decision.

One of the local suppliers, had called me from my email inquiry, but had done some background research prior to getting on the phone to me and looked at our website and the industries we serve and thought we're a good opportunity, then after a 2 minutes on the phone he was on the emails talking to me - perfect, I also have a paper trail now of everything.

Three of the other local suppliers responded to my initial email - perfect.

One - no response (oldskool business expects phone call) but I'm not indulging that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Pretty simple really. Dealers don’t like doing anything in writing they never have and never will. Makes it too easy for you to run off to the next dealership with the offer and ask them to better it.

I just bought a new Toyota from someone I’ve never dealt with before, I went a different angle to the old let’s fax 8 dealers and wait for them to send the best quote. I went and wasted 2 hours of his time driving the car etc then told him I wanted to test other brands. I then did all the negotiating by email after the event, told him what I wanted to pay etc. He still rang me but atleast I wasn’t on his turf. I did buy the car off him.

The Ford dealer I’ve been buying off since Noah was a boy is a different story… I just about prepare my own quotes there now 😂

What are you buying?
You've got it in one - this whole industry hates accountability thats why everything is done over phones or conversations. Someone asks me for pricing over the phone then I'll give them pricing and also request an email address to send a formal quote, it protects you from me, not the other way around

If you're not there in person they can't try hook you in emotionally by feeding you bull**** to seal a deal.

Was a cab chassis Ford Courier ute, got an idea for some fun Thailand Special content, I'm very specifically after 4x2, cab chassis, RWD, manual and 2.6L Mazda G6 engine. May consider 3RZ Hilux of the same era but they have Toyota tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie86 View Post
So if you we're selling a car yourself and someone made contact with you via email and only wanted to deal with email you wouldn't be abit suss? Come on man, pick up the phone if you're really that serious about it, plus if you didn't want them to call you why provide your phone number? Sorry doesn't make sense to me
Because if I don't put my phone number in I can't send an inquiry.

Someone messaged me about wanting to buy my car and I've said sure, I'll bring it to you if you want to take it for a spin? No response, meh, took 20 seconds of my time to respond to it.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-08-2021 at 09:00 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Was a cab chassis Ford Courier ute, got an idea for some fun Thailand Special content, I'm very specifically after 4x2, cab chassis, RWD, manual and 2.6L Mazda G6 engine. May consider 3RZ Hilux of the same era but they have Toyota tax.

To be fair not sure what you really expect. Transport is probably worth a quarter of the vehicles value, dealers probably not that well equipped for interstate sales if that's the kind of vehicle they sell. The only transport they would need is Barneys tilt tray hire $60 hot shots.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
To be fair not sure what you really expect. Transport is probably worth a quarter of the vehicles value, dealers probably not that well equipped for interstate sales if that's the kind of vehicle they sell.
A yes or no answer in return to my email would suffice and I can organise the transport myself, all they would have to do is take payment, chuck an invoice in the car/email a copy and then hand the key over and its no longer their responsibility.

Job done

Kinda reminds me how I kept getting asked for ID buying a slab of VB but when I bought a $250 bottle of wine they couldn't get it out the cabinet fast enough, maybe I'd get better treatment if the price tag had an extra 0 on the end of it

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-08-2021 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Quote:
Kinda reminds me how I kept getting asked for ID buying a slab of VB but when I bought a $250 bottle of wine they couldn't get it out the cabinet fast enough, maybe I'd get better treatment if the price tag had an extra 0 on the end of it
I can assure you, you do. Back in the late 80's my sister's husband (brother-in-law, which is no longer as precise) and my own brother were serving in a Sydney liquorland. Couple of young pretty females bought a bunch of stuff, and added "that bottle of Dom"...

No questions were asked.

The other side of a much longer story, but mostly unrelated though, they stopped running the store when my sister had a shot gun held to her head when the shop was robbed.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2021, 04:30 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Here ya go Franco, they must've heard you

"New online car retailer lets shoppers have cars delivered with just a click"

https://www.9news.com.au/national/bu...0-36feae7ca9a8
Old 12-08-2021, 05:19 PM   #11
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
Maybe because he is the customer. He can choose to transact how he wants. It’s his money.

He made an offer … yes or no, no baloney

It was for a specific car so you can presume the customer will not hand over their money without knowing what they are buying, in any case is it your duty to make sure they are sure?

Maybe the customer don’t want a relationship with you, he just wants the car. Do you expect an invite for Christmas lunch?

The OP style of purchasing is my style too, here are my terms , take it or leave it. No bull****, no I don’t want paint protection, no I organised my own finance.

The problem with the industry is that the big slob salesman think they are smarter than the customer.
Of course he can choose. I also set standards for my sales staff to follow and we have our own process too. We don't always need to buckle to the demands of the customer.

I was not defending the notion of whether to say yes or no to his offer, I was defending the desire of the sales person to want to have a discussion via phone.

As for the customer presuming not knowing what they're buying - you're actually a fair way off on this. There's plenty of people pointed in the direction by the likes of dickheads like you who advise them something that is based off your own opinion or value as has been so clearly demonstrated by you lately. These people think that your advice is the right advice and yet they get in touch with us on a particular car but are pleasantly satisfied when we do our job by assessing the needs of the buyer and helping them to select a far better spec for them. This isn't always the case but it happens very often.

We don't think we're smarter but we actually have a job to do - yet the whole "here are my terms, take it or leave it" macho ****ers like yourself don't allow us to actually do it.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #12
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Of course he can choose. I also set standards for my sales staff to follow and we have our own process too. We don't always need to buckle to the demands of the customer.

I was not defending the notion of whether to say yes or no to his offer, I was defending the desire of the sales person to want to have a discussion via phone.

As for the customer presuming not knowing what they're buying - you're actually a fair way off on this. There's plenty of people pointed in the direction by the likes of dickheads like you who advise them something that is based off your own opinion or value as has been so clearly demonstrated by you lately. These people think that your advice is the right advice and yet they get in touch with us on a particular car but are pleasantly satisfied when we do our job by assessing the needs of the buyer and helping them to select a far better spec for them. This isn't always the case but it happens very often.

We don't think we're smarter but we actually have a job to do - yet the whole "here are my terms, take it or leave it" macho ****ers like yourself don't allow us to actually do it.
LOL.

Correct
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #13
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I will give you an example.. years back I worked for a business that had a fleet of company cars.. one car did almost 90,000km from brand new without an oil change. We had it serviced and the oil come out like sand.. then we decided to trade the car in, I called up my mate who is a dealer principal, I was completely honest about the car and gave it to him at about half normal trade in value. From memory about $7k.. he said don’t worry we will sort it out.. he calls me the next week and says they sold it for $18k, laughing on the phone. buyer didn’t know what hit em. He thanked me for the profit he made and sent me a jacket and a bottle of wine.
...and then the damned alarm went off and it was time to get up and wash and vacuum the Aurion...

Thanks mate - I haven't had such a great laugh in ages!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I think this is something we can agree on Franco.

Buying from a dealership has never been an expereince I'd want to repeat in a hurry. In my opinion those that I have had dealings with have added zero benefit to the transaction, they have only detarcted from the whole new car experience (whether buying new or used).

I'd be happy to buy direct online from the manufacturer and have the car show up at my door. I've always done my research and seem to be better informed and know much more about the product than any dealership salesperson ever has anyway, then there's the whole upselling with dealer options - No, Finance - No, Fabric protection - No, Ceramic (doubt-it) coating - No etc. etc.
5 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #15
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
No, finance - No, fabric protection - No, Ceramic (doubt-it) coating - No etc. etc.
Fair go on the paint/interior products etc but finance while it makes us money is usually a necessity of the purchaser rather than an up-sell. Rare is the occasion that someone would finance with us when they didn't need to.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #16
hayseed

They rang to ensure you're Fair Dinkum. & not some Kid playing Covid/Lockdown Games...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #17
MercuryT
Banned

Been looking at buying a second car for over a year now.

My Interstate experiences have been near identical Franco. Really annoying.

But you forgot one thing - regularly I'll also get "we know you like X car but we have these in stocks also" (usually way more expensive and nothing like what I enquired about)

It's insulting and infuriating to try and upsell when I'm very aware they have and can make my own choice!!

Cheers, Merc
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:48 PM   #18
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Or alternatively:

I always hate buying cars.

It amazes me they can’t just reply to the email. Always have to ring.
If they want some clarification on who you are and if you are legit that’s fine, but Atleast reply to the email.

A supplier of ours tried to buy a new LDV van from a dealer. All he needed was a quote. After a month, nothing. These dealers sometimes really need to be pulled into line.
Went another dealer, quote within hours, deposit paid pick up a week later.

You can hand a deal to dealers on a silver platter (like you are Franco) and they will still go to extreme lengths to ruin it.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #19
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
You can hand a deal to dealers on a silver platter (like you are Franco) and they will still go to extreme lengths to ruin it.
This might be the whole scenario wrapped up in one sentence.

After 16 years in motor cars I would be of the opinion that there is no way that his email was a deal on a silver platter.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #20
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Am I the only one that enjoys playing the game of buying a new car?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #21
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Wouldn’t of thought it would that hard to find a Kia Picanto.
Old 12-08-2021, 06:16 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Franco, when I worked in dealerships every new cadet took home the holy grail of car selling, basically a how to guide on how to screw each and every customer out of every last dollar.
They want you on the phone so they can put it into practice, they need to control the negotiations and its all in the delivery, something they struggle to achieve with the written word.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #23
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

So if you we're selling a car yourself and someone made contact with you via email and only wanted to deal with email you wouldn't be abit suss? Come on man, pick up the phone if you're really that serious about it, plus if you didn't want them to call you why provide your phone number? Sorry doesn't make sense to me
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 07:45 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Pretty simple really. Dealers don’t like doing anything in writing they never have and never will. Makes it too easy for you to run off to the next dealership with the offer and ask them to better it.

I just bought a new Toyota from someone I’ve never dealt with before, I went a different angle to the old let’s fax 8 dealers and wait for them to send the best quote. I went and wasted 2 hours of his time driving the car etc then told him I wanted to test other brands. I then did all the negotiating by email after the event, told him what I wanted to pay etc. He still rang me but atleast I wasn’t on his turf. I did buy the car off him.

The Ford dealer I’ve been buying off since Noah was a boy is a different story… I just about prepare my own quotes there now 😂

What are you buying?

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 12-08-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #25
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this the type of situation where fixed pricing (as seen with Genesis and Honda and maybe Mercedes?) makes the buying experience so much less stressful. I think so. If your paying the same wherever you go who cares about negotiating.
Click and collect, buy online and get delivered. All of it sounds great to me.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Is this the type of situation where fixed pricing (as seen with Genesis and Honda and maybe Mercedes?) makes the buying experience so much less stressful. I think so. If your paying the same wherever you go who cares about negotiating.
Click and collect, buy online and get delivered. All of it sounds great to me.
No fun in that tho. I’ve never paid retail for a car and still haven’t even with covid tax. Just need to be smart.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #27
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No fun in that tho. I’ve never paid retail for a car and still haven’t even with covid tax. Just need to be smart.
I don’t find the current buying process fun.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #28
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think having a telephone conversation quickly allows the dealer to know you are a serious buyer ready to sign especially if it's with an interstate dealer.

As mentioned in other threads I bought a Vito after looking on Carsales for 2 weeks once I decided I would buy new vs secondhand.
I needed rear wing doors and a dealer in Brisbane had a van ready. I made contact through Carsales and they rang me. I requested a quote asking for windows and tow bar to be fitted plus a ply wood floor and a cargo barrier. I received a quote which included shipping to a BMW dealer in Doncaster for hand over which was part of the same dealer group.

I then discovered there was a similar van in Melbourne and I called the local dealership, asked if it was still available, said I had a quote from QLD with the specific options and what I was quoted. I was honest to the cent.
I said I was ready to sign a purchase contract and also organise financing through their dealership if he could give me his best price in writing later that day and I would say yes or no within 10 minutes of receiving it. The local dealer undercut the QLD price by $1500, their van included a factory solid cargo barrier and metallic paint and they included at no extra cost King rear springs and a higher grade Euro wooden floor as part of the deal which I think combined retail for about another $1200. I rang the QLD dealer and again was completely honest, explained that I found one in Melbourne, it was in metallic graphite which looked nicer than white imho, and thanked him for his time.

I've spent more time buying a Ford with a fixed price purchase.

And this was all done during Covid restrictions/lockdowns so the hand over was very, very quick, salesman sent a taxi to collect me for the pick-up, offered to do a Zoom call beforehand to go over the features, I just said "let me know how to put it in drive, where the fuel flap is and I'm ok."

Hey Franco..so have you bought anything yet..?

Last edited by Dr Smith; 12-08-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I think having a telephone conversation quickly allows the dealer to know you are a serious buyer ready to sign especially if it's with an interstate dealer.

As mentioned in other threads I bought a Vito after looking on Carsales for 2 weeks once I decided I would buy new vs secondhand.
I needed rear wing doors and a dealer in Brisbane had a van ready. I made contact through Carsales and they rang me. I requested a quote asking for windows and tow bar to be fitted plus a ply wood floor and a cargo barrier. I received a quote which included shipping to a BMW dealer in Doncaster for hand over which was part of the same dealer group.

I then discovered there was a similar van in Melbourne and I called the local dealership, asked if it was still available, said I had a quote from QLD with the specific options and what I was quoted. I was honest to the cent.
I said I was ready to sign a purchase contract and also organise financing through their dealership if he could give me his best price in writing later that day and I would say yes or no within 10 minutes of receiving it. The local dealer undercut the QLD price by $1500, their van included a factory solid cargo barrier and metallic paint and they included at no extra cost King rear springs and a higher grade Euro wooden floor as part of the deal which I think combined retail for about another $1200. I rang the QLD dealer and again was completely honest, explained that I found one in Melbourne, it was in metallic graphite which looked nicer than white imho, and thanked him for his time.

I've spent more time buying a Ford with a fixed price purchase.

And this was all done during Covid restrictions/lockdowns so the hand over was very, very quick, salesman sent a taxi to collect me for the pick-up, offered to do a Zoom call beforehand to go over the features, I just said "let me know how to put it in drive, where the fuel flap is and I'm ok."

Hey Franco..so have you bought anything yet..?
No response, mind you had the same thing with a real estate agent on realestate.com.au, I think they're cut from the same cloth.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:01 PM   #30
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

im a builder, if anyone ever texts or emails me i call. im not planning my life or livelihood on emails. ill will follow up confirming all details in an email

i want to know who the person is im dealing with and gauge how legit they are

side note, complaint about the dealer calling, same people would not respond to texts if they were selling a car
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post