Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Has an automotive business tried to rip you off/deceive you
Yes 123 83.67%
No 19 12.93%
I thought they did but it was a misunderstanding 5 3.40%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Some mechanics must think people are stupid!

Well, I have never had this prob before but there is always the first time. Purchased a car to be used as a shopping trolley late last year and took it to a reputable suspension business to get it checked out as I felt there were some items that needed attention. Turns out that the I was correct and I was glad I negotiated the price down because of the items i suspected. Needed need front shocks, need pads front and rear, discs front and rear needed machining badly and some bushes needed replacing.
Well I recently took the said vehicle to another 'reputable' business to get the 200k km service done, they come back to me with a list of things wrong with the car, 'inlcuding' front shocks worn WTF!!!
So I go home thinking that's not right, I am sure I had them replaced etc etc. Went through the filing cabinet, found the invoice and sure enough I have paid for new shocks already. So I got the torch out (was at night obviously) and had a look at the front end and they are brand new front shocks.
I am thinking what the hell are they trying to pull??
Anyone else had this type of experience??
I am seriously considering calling them and discussing it with them. Unbelievable.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #2
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Some mechanics must think people are stupid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTENVY
I am seriously considering calling them and discussing it with them. Unbelievable.
It would be worth it purely for the awkward silence that would inevitably follow.......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

In response to the thread title that is exactly what "some" of them bank on...

The trick though is for them to show true remorse when they have been caught out so they don’t lose your buisiness...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #4
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
In response to the thread title that is exactly what "some" of them bank on...

The trick though is for them to show true remorse when they have been caught out so they don’t lose your buisiness...
If I find out that the shocks are fine - which I will, then no amount of remorse will keep my business. I think I might even take it further to be honest. Not that I am out of pocket or anything but if this is happening how many other people out there are being ripped??

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

You can do a basic test on the shocks yourself. It's the same as what they do anyway. Stand on each corner of the car and bounce it down with all your weight. The car should bounce back up above normal height and then drop back down to normal. If it keeps bouncing up and down for more than that, then you are having issues. Maybe your rears are gone and they mistakenly wrote front? Just test it yourself first to be sure.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
You can do a basic test on the shocks yourself. It's the same as what they do anyway. Stand on each corner of the car and bounce it down with all your weight. The car should bounce back up above normal height and then drop back down to normal. If it keeps bouncing up and down for more than that, then you are having issues. Maybe your rears are gone and they mistakenly wrote front? Just test it yourself first to be sure.

Well if that the case, they are fine. They actually said both front and rear are shot. I have done this same test with the rears and they are also fine, as the suspension business also suggested in Dec last year.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Well in that case, feel free to tear 'em a new one. Could be quite amusing hearing them justify themselves. I wonder if the apprentice will get blamed?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If I find out that the shocks are fine - which I will, then no amount of remorse will keep my business. I think I might even take it further to be honest. Not that I am out of pocket or anything but if this is happening how many other people out there are being ripped??
As a mechanic by trade, I love reading these threads

no like every perfession there are some not so great people in it, but most are trying to make an houst living. Ive fitted new shocks and had them US out of the packet whats to say your 12 months old ones arnt NBG? I would think he also looked under the car and well if the shocks looked new do you think he would try to pull a shifty? (I suspect not)

Just casue you seem to think they are OK doesnt mean they are? do YOU have any sort of mechanical training? again I suspect not other wise you probably would have doen the work your self.

I look forward to finding out what happens please keep us informed

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
As a mechanic by trade, I love reading these threads

no like every perfession there are some not so great people in it, but most are trying to make an houst living. Ive fitted new shocks and had them US out of the packet whats to say your 12 months old ones arnt NBG? I would think he also looked under the car and well if the shocks looked new do you think he would try to pull a shifty? (I suspect not)

Just casue you seem to think they are OK doesnt mean they are? do YOU have any sort of mechanical training? again I suspect not other wise you probably would have doen the work your self.

I look forward to finding out what happens please keep us informed
Definitely will put in the thread the result of the check and the if they are fine the result of the conversation with the mechanical business.
The reason I question the shocks being 'shot' as the mechanic put it, is that they were only fitted in Dec last year, four months old. I noticed a huge difference when they were fitted because the old ones were so badly worn.
Who knows maybe they are faulty, I'm sure if they are that Pedders will replace them.
And yes I do have some mechanical knowledge, I do not have anywhere to work on my cars atm because I am renting, and until I purchase my own property and get my own shed again I will have to continue to paid someone else to do the work unfortunately.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 07-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And yes I do have some mechanical knowledge,.
Define knowledge

I know guys with no formal training that can out spanner me any day of the week, and others who get their "knowlege" from reading KB's workshop in Street Machine and Ask Smithy in the weekend paper

from personal experance it tends to be the latter that $hi7 can the tradesmen

these are the guys that say I took my car to the mechanic and it ran worse when I got it back, but i got out my Kmart 37 peice tool kit and fixed the tune, now shes funning perfect and its sitting there ideling on 5 cylinders

You may be right and this guy might be trying to take you for a ride but I will defend most spanner ******* as decent hard working people

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

even though you had them replaced they could still be shot.
When I had my XR8 lowered with new shocks, a few weeks later I found the right rear to be faulty. I had to get a Pedders diagnostic chart done to prove it before the original mob would replace it....but yeah it is possible.

i guess if it doesnt feel "wrong" to you like it did for me, youre probably ok.
AU III XR8 red ute

Last edited by anto; 07-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
It would be worth it purely for the awkward silence that would inevitably follow.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
even though you had them replaced they could still be shot.
When I had my XR8 lowered with new shocks, a few weeks later I found the right rear to be faulty. I had to get a Pedders diagnostic chart done to prove it before the original mob would replace it....but yeah it is possible.

i guess if it doesnt feel "wrong" to you like it did for me, youre probably ok.
The shocks dont feel worn - before I got them replaced the front end felt like a boat. Its not as nice as the Sprint but that is fitted with Pedders Sports Ryder. Maybe I should ring the suspension business and get them tested just in case??

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:

Last edited by GTENVY; 07-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #13
Scott

Local but very large Ford Dealer tried to convince me he had taken the valves out of my GT without taking the head off. When I challenged him he said "you don't need to on these".

I told him not to touch my car again and had it collected by truck that day...
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, I have never had this prob before but there is always the first time. Purchased a car to be used as a shopping trolley late last year and took it to a reputable suspension business to get it checked out as I felt there were some items that needed attention. Turns out that the I was correct and I was glad I negotiated the price down because of the items i suspected. Needed need front shocks, need pads front and rear, discs front and rear needed machining badly and some bushes needed replacing.
Well I recently took the said vehicle to another 'reputable' business to get the 200k km service done, they come back to me with a list of things wrong with the car, 'inlcuding' front shocks worn WTF!!!
So I go home thinking that's not right, I am sure I had them replaced etc etc. Went through the filing cabinet, found the invoice and sure enough I have paid for new shocks already. So I got the torch out (was at night obviously) and had a look at the front end and they are brand new front shocks.
I am thinking what the hell are they trying to pull??
Anyone else had this type of experience??
Before you go bezerk and potentially set yourself up for the dump, go and get the Pedders "free suspension check".

Your "new" shockies may be faulty or just plain rubbish, assumption is the mother of all fu........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Before you go bezerk and potentially set yourself up for the dump, go and get the Pedders "free suspension check".
Just be prepared for a quote and list of defects that closely resembles the yellow pages.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Just be prepared for a quote and list of defects that closely resembles the yellow pages.

LOL, the list was very short to be honest, I was expecting that but only had four items that required attention

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 AM   #17
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
and that would be for a new car!
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Some mechanics must think people are stupid!

Quote:

Your "new" shockies may be faulty or just plain rubbish, assumption is the mother of all fu........
Thats what I had done in December last year and why I got the new ones.

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats what I had done in December last year and why I got the new ones.
But have you had the "new" ones tested?

Just in case....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #20
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But have you had the "new" ones tested?

Just in case....
Will be doing this - ringing the suspension place, oh bugger it - Pedders, and getting them to check them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
If it is a dodgy business ask for the advice in writing and then contact consumer affairs -
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/Consum...complaint.html
and help to prevent future rip-offs.
Evil flourishes when good men stand by and do nothing ...............
Thanks for the info

Live, Love, RACE

Quote:
Old 07-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #21
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:

wise words
thats exactly what I did, though it cost me about 15 bucks or so back then.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #22
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is a dodgy business ask for the advice in writing and then contact consumer affairs -
http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/Consum...complaint.html
and help to prevent future rip-offs.
Evil flourishes when good men stand by and do nothing ...............
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #23
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Similar sort of thing happened trying to get my mercury roadworthied. Dont stress yourself, just go somewhere else, what do you expect to achieve jumping up and down? Simple fact is I'll go out of my way to avoid that workshop and their idiots in future and you should do the same.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #24
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

".... what do you expect to achieve jumping up and down? ......"
Evil flourishes when good men do nothing.

Though evil also flourishes when people don't get their facts straight and wrongly hassle some poor tradie who's trying to do the right thing.
Many years ago a mechanic mate rebuilt a 2.2 diesel Hilux motor (an example of the devil's work) for me and it cooked while running it in.
I found a heap of solder balls in the bottom of the radiator, so I went to the mob that rebuilt the radiator and stuck it up the big boss, who to his credit offered to pay all costs if they were at fault.
Turned out that my genius mate had put in the wrong thermostat (the correct one had two ports to seal).
I got him back when I did a cable run for him and stupidly miscalculated the voltage drop and put in undersize cables.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will not go back to my local blue oval dealer after my first service with my Falcon. $700(payed) and a further ($450) they suggested for something else =totaling $1150. I later found out it could of only been a $400 service and the suggested $450 was about a $50 fix.
I bet they knew this but purposely tried to squeeze money out of me. Therefore deceiving
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #26
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

sounds like you got your car serviced by k-mart tyre and auto (the "we will can your shockers even if they are brand new"specialists).
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
sounds like you got your car serviced by k-mart tyre and auto (the "we will can your shockers even if they are brand new"specialists).
Ofcourse, because all KTA workshops are the same...
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #28
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
Ofcourse, because all KTA workshops are the same...
Actually yift and i BOTH worked for KTAS doesnt matter if its QLD or VIC... its easy to speak the truth after the fact !!

anyway back on topic ...........
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #29
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Actually yift and i BOTH worked for KTAS doesnt matter if its QLD or VIC... its easy to speak the truth after the fact !!

anyway back on topic ...........
Doesn't matter if it's QLD or VIC...are you for real?
Just because you've had a bad experience with a workshop, doesn't mean that every K-mart Tyre & Auto workshop in QLD, VIC or anywhere else in this country is useless, untrustworthy and does crap work!

Oh and fwiw, I don't work for KTAS but get my car serviced there and only there. Why? Because the Service Manager at that specific workshop knows what he's talking about and does good work, as do his employees.
I know that may be hard to take in at first dazzler, but hopefully you're not too shocked!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #30
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-WORKN
I know that may be hard to take in at first dazzler, but hopefully you're not too shocked!
Im glad you have had an awesome experience with KTAS..

BUT you havn't worked for them therefore you are not privvy to what goes on behind the scenes OR qualified to judge on OUR personal experiences ..

Agreed ??
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post