Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Default Falcons best years, what were they for you

When I look over the years I was wondering to myself what were the most exciting years for the Ford Falcon. The E series was an amazing era and I remember when I seen my first EA and thought wow look how beautiful that shape is. This followed up with a horde of amazing vehicles starting with the
EB XR6/8 than EB GT, ED Sprint, EL XR6 and finally the EL GT. Than we had a few years of less memorable cars in the AU Falcon. Not that it was a bad car but it didn't really bring much excitement, at least until AU3 with the 220kw XR8 and FTE 250kw cars. Than came the BA with a complete new line up of engines, a new shape and a new interior. BF was possibly the greatest era for Ford with it having truely world class engines and gearboxes.

I still remember the first time I saw a BA XR6 Turbo which was at the Ipswitch V8 Supercars and it was before the BA was on sale. Nobody could believe how amazing the car looked and how big the turbo was. Everyone was expecting a tiny little turbo which was the normal for most turbo cars. No Ford had strapped a 550hp turbo on them. It was probably the biggest most advanced turbo 6 ever built. Than Ford just kept them coming BA F6, BA GT Boss 290 BF GT cobra 302.

Than the FG which while it wasn't ground breaking like the BA it still brought with it the FG F6 310 and GT 335.

With so many years of exciting new models and the great Holden Ford rivalry, we were certainly spoilt. Holden pretty much followed Ford ever year with exciting new ground breaking models, even though they never really developed a true performance 6 like Ford did.

So that now leaves us with what in the future. No more tit for tat with Ford and Holden. No more locally built muscle that they raced on weekends at your local drag strip or at the V8 touring cars.

My age has more to do with my love of the E series and B series era. I am 40 and the E series was released when I was 12 and so my first car was a EA Fairmont Ghia. Tell us what were the greatest years for you with the Falcon.
Old 15-07-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
FPV-F6-310FPV

Default Re: Falcons best years, what were they for you

For me I love the XFs, EDs, ELs, BFs and FGs.

My first car was an 1986 XF Ford Fairmont. Loved that car, my mates called it the tank.

When I was at school, I remember begging my parents to buy a ED Falcon, but had no luck. When our XF got stolen, we hired an ED Falcon, I wanted to sleep in the car every night lol. The police had stolen the car on NYE of 93/94 to chase a criminal who just jumped in their police car and drove off, so they hot wired our car and took it lol. It was returned in a better condition.

Then when the ELs came out, a new obsession came along, and yes begged my parents for this car.

When the BFs came out, I loved the tough presence look they had, could never afford to get a xr6t at the time.

My favourite all time car growing up was a GT, then in 2009 got my first turbo car and F6s became my favourite. Still would love to drive a GT to say I have.

My current car FGII F6 is my baby, FGs is my favourite design, Love the panda eye and the holden drivers never wanting to take me on lol

Falcon might be gone, but forever will they be cemented in my thoughts.
472rwkws l PW Stage 2 Intercooler l 1000cc Injectors l Herrod CAI l Full XFORCE S/S Exhaust with Quad Tips l 460 Walbro Fuel Pump l Actuator l Wastegate l Valve Springs l Stage 2 ZF Upgrade l Engine Rebuild l 3584 Turbo
Tuned by Northmead Auto Centre

Previous Rides:
1999 Black Nissan Silvia S15 Spec R
1993 White Nissan Silvia S13 Spec S
1989 Blue Nissan Skyline R31
1989 Black KE Ford Laser
1986 Blue XF Ford Fairmont
FPV-F6-310FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Plenty of fond memories from and all era's, and each one for different reasons. But, its the B series for me though, it was an amazing comeback from Ford after the love/hate relationship and polarizing views from the Australian public after the AU. With the B series, came a brilliant advertising campaign, you had two great performance engines, a bulletproof N/A 6, FPV were born, the GT was back, and a bloke named Ambrose was dominating the V8 scene and taking it up to the seemingly invincible Holden teams of that time.

It was a great time and a proud time to be a Ford fan in that era in my opinion.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #4
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 5150 View Post
Plenty of fond memories from and all era's, and each one for different reasons. But, its the B series for me though, it was an amazing comeback from Ford after the love/hate relationship and polarizing views from the Australian public after the AU. With the B series, came a brilliant advertising campaign, you had two great performance engines, a bulletproof N/A 6, FPV were born, the GT was back, and a bloke named Ambrose was dominating the V8 scene and taking it up to the seemingly invincible Holden teams of that time.

It was a great time and a proud time to be a Ford fan in that era in my opinion.
BA/Territory days. Ford really turned water into wine, and with the engineering and design advances the Falcon was brought out of the 90s into the 21st century.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for me the XK - XW were glory days (I was never a major fan of XY's I liked them but I think becasue they were everyones faveI sort of got turned off) I also wasn't overly keen on the XA, Loved XB's XC's

Then I wasn't much of a fan until AU but it was sort lived and my last great falcon (purely my opinon) was the BA

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mum purchased an alloy head 2 XD GL wagon new when I was old enough for my learner permit. Bench seat 3 speed manual. loads of room and great seat.

It was scraped in 1986 for rust when we purchased a VL wagon. the holden dealer had standing order for engines to upgrade older falcons.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Full_Monty

For me early days obviously the XW-XY era...But more recently the BA was a big watershed moment.
The investment in engineering and proper advertising of this was a big step forward.
It made me really lust for a XR6Turbo with it's HSV slaying power and torque.

I Ended up with one, and had Nizpro perform some magic on it, along with improved suspension and AP brakes.
Amazing power and torque. I Kept it for 7 years, before selling it to make way for my current GT 335 Mk1. Which in my mind was the next big benchmark - step up (including the FG F6) IMO was the last big platform upgrade and was well ahead of it's local rivals with HSV having to go back to the drawing board to invest heavily to play catchup.
The following years saw FG Mk2 and GTF minor revisions on this platform with the same running gear, some software tweaks and revised ICC etc.

The FGX being just front / rear end treatments on limited budget with a couple of minor changes inside, but it introduced the Ford USA globalist styling, which I will always resent in a way - as the end of our true Aussie Falcon Icon.

Last edited by Full_Monty; 15-07-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Full_Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

B series for me, the boosted 4L was a game changer...
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its got to be 1984 to 1990....no wait that was the worst years
who's idea was it to drop the V8 anyway...almost as bad as dropping RWD sedans....wait
they are doing that now dropping V8's and dropping RWD sedans

my favourite was my old AU XR8, loved the shape the trim and the way it drove and the noise of the little 302 with 2 hotdogs
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
UKXR8

My favourite has to be the XA/XB especially the coupes. I love the shape of the EF/EL XR series cars, especially with the full tickford bodykit. I remember getting pretty excited about the EF having a proper handbrake (oh how times have changed). Also a big fan of the blown FG/FGX 5.0 cars, great machines.

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
AussieCJ7

Style wise XM/XP coupe closely followed by XA to XC coupe

Sheer enthusiast interest and folk lore impact has to be the XY GTHO

Have a personal sweet spot for XF S PAC as my first falcon, the EB11 really marked a major styling change and the FGX cause its the last, the XR8 is truely something special with a soul built in
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 02:44 PM   #12
superyob
Banned

Fairlanes always did it for me but the XA/B hardtops really fired my imagination...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 06:10 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Fairlanes always did it for me but the XA/B hardtops really fired my imagination...
Yea fairlanes were good (I've owned more fairlanes than Falcons

I loved the compact fairlanes of the 60's the ZA-ZC (ZD was too plastic in the grill) ZH was awesome, ZJ-ZL I loved, NA / NC had a class about them, and the AU BA were nice as well

I've owned a ZB, ZC, ZG, P6, ZK, ZL NA & NC

And I'd have any of them again tomorrow

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

See for me there is a lot of hindsight involved. I believed at the time the B series was the best Falcon era, with the XR6 Turbo and F6 standouts. But Looking back I'd say AU was the best time for Falcon, it was a true revolution of what Falcon was, a real clean break from the past. Sure it wasn't perfect but it was the one time they really had a go at something different.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
b2tf
not here much anymore

In terms of the actual cars, AU2 and 3. In terms of "hype" and positive press, the BA launch for me. And seeing GT's back on the road was great, as I wasn't around when the X series GT's were commonplace.
Old 16-07-2016, 06:49 PM   #16
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Probably unfair to compare models over such a long time but all the X series were great, still love the XW/XY and XB especially...then there was the stunning XC especially the Cobra...wow..The XD was a game changer too..Soft spot too for the XE had one for a good time...the EB, EF and EL's..ED not too shabby either..I loved my five speed EF Futura..then my AU ll (still got her)..had it 13 years so far which says it all and despite low sales numbers in FG/FGX I think that both models will be remembered well and why I grabbed a very nice FG XR6 earlier this year.Very special mentions for BA/BF and the BA range especially because of the best 6 cylinder motor ever of a great range of big sixes..The original 240kw BA XR6 T in 2002 was the start of the legendary DOHC Barra turbocharged powerplant. and the original 182 kw N/A Barra pretty good too .Thanks Ford for giving us the mighty Falcon...all of them..Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-07-2016 at 06:55 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
snowcone

XW and XY no doubt.
I owned both as a youngster
It was the era of the HO's when there wasn't anything faster
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I liked EBII, ED, EF in their day. Great memories. Great cars for their time. Of course not much by today's standards. But they were a little more special then than today's ones are now. Especially XR8, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane Ghia, and LTD.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #19
Pis-ton broke
Banned

all my falcons that i owned have served faithfully, however the ba was my favorite.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #20
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Watching Bathurst 1977 with the XC Hardtop 1/2 victory and then the Cobra's the following year. This was then followed up with the XD/XE finally winning the sales race over Holden (pity Ford dropped the V8 though).
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 03:29 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think every year Ford has made the Falcon is the best years of it, even the ones we Loved to hate
Old 15-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #22
FPV0002
FPV0002

For me it was around 2003 and the BA and more specifically the XR6 turbo and B series FPV models. Around 03/04 my older brother purchased a BA XR6turbo in citric acid after they had just been released. Man, at the time that thing was a rocket and the citric acid turned heads everywhere it went! In the years following between both my brother and I had XR6 turbos/XR8s, a BF F6, FG F6 and currently I have a GT335. The birth of FPV was my favourite period and it was the insane power, world class engines tough looks and lary 'look at me' colours available at the time that I lusted for and still do today. I still love the look of the BF F6s and GTs and for me they were the best years.
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #23
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

68- 78. 82. 2002 -2010. 14. 16.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

AU xr's for me... There was something special about those cars.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 04:11 PM   #25
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I always wanted an XF S pack as that was our family car from new in the late 80s-late 90s.

Ended up buying one that was identical as my first car back in 05, had it hidden in the garage as a future project for years but ended up selling it in 2013 and still regret it.

During that time I obsessed over getting a hot chilli red EL XR and I found mine after 8 months of searching with 117K, manual and options like dual airbags, cruise....etc

I miss that car every day, the commodore looks like the better car but the EL was much more comfortable and a better drive.

The other thing was being in high school during the Ambrose years, was a great time to be a teenager.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #26
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every year we won Bathurst.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #27
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The birth of the BA was a great time to be a ford fan after the dark ages of the AU. Marcos Ambose was kicking *** on the track and the BA looked as good as it went. Sales were good and Geoff Polites knew what the people wanted.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #28
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me is 2 periods.

1. The XA to XC coupes with 351 clevelands. I had come to Oz from Africa, 17, and in Africa the big monster was the Ford Cortina TD/TE with a 3 litre V6 Essex. I then came to Melbourne in 82, and all these worked XA, XB, XC coupes with monster rear wheels and monster exhausts, I was riding my pushy to uni and was foaming at the mouth looking and listening to these beasts rumbing past...

2. Present day, FGX XR8, feral power delivered in silken strokes, and sleeper looks. Raw package that I now spend time thinking about upgrading with carbon fibre tailshaft, shockworks coilovers, Truetrac diff, floating rotors, whether to go yella terra snout or not.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #29
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The BA/BF era for the Falcons was truly it's pinnacle. Interesting how it also tied in with the VE Generation of Commodores which'll also go down as the pinnacle of Holden's legacy. I guess ~2005 were really the golden years for the aussie car manufacturing industry

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #30
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

1967- 1973