Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
Fez WQ

Unhappy Holden to Cut more Jobs

Holden cuts workforce after GM cancels programs
Negative effect: Contract workers are on the way out at Holden's design centre.</B>

Holden sheds contract jobs as GM abandons global rear-wheel drive vehicle projects

By TERRY MARTIN 2 September 2008

GM HOLDEN is shedding an unspecified number of contract design and engineering positions following parent General Motors’ decision to abandon work based on the Australian-developed global rear-wheel drive architecture.

After another tumultuous week for Australian vehicle manufacturing, during which 240 fresh job cuts across three automotive component suppliers and Kenworth Trucks were announced – less than a week after Ford declared that 350 jobs would be slashed at its Geelong and Broadmeadows plants – GM Holden has revealed to GoAuto that contract positions were being terminated on an ongoing basis until it reached the “appropriate level to meet the revised workload”.

The cutbacks commenced some weeks ago.

“There’s been a number of global programs either cancelled or put on hold,” said GM Holden spokesman John Lindsay.

“Because we do global work through our global design and engineering (operations), essentially what we’ve been doing is reducing our workforce to the appropriate level to meet the revised workload.

“What we’ve been doing is approaching our contracted staff, and those who aren’t required we’ve been letting them go. So that’s an ongoing process at the moment.”

Mr Lindsay refused to divulge the exact number of positions being cut but confirmed that no permanent positions had been affected. He said the contract terminations would continue “until we’ve got the right balance and mix of skills that match the workload that we have”.

GoAuto sources have indicated that the staff cuts are extensive and have had a dramatic impact on operations.

“We haven’t been giving out any numbers on this because basically it’s ongoing,” Mr Lindsay said. “But essentially we scaled up to match the projects we were getting from global (head office) to cope with that – and we did that with contract staff, which is why we do have contract staff – but now with those reductions, we’re scaling down appropriately.

“It’s something we’ve done before – and part of our normal business practice … I wouldn’t want to put a specific time (frame) on it, but it’s something that we’re working through at the moment.

“We have to make sure that we have the right skills mix. There will be some contractors that have the skills that we still require, even with the reduction in the current workload. So we’re working through that,” he said.

The rear-wheel drive centre of excellence for the GM world, Holden was known to have been in the running to develop the replacement for the Buick Lucerne sold in North America, while GM was also understood to have considered building the next-generation Chevrolet Impala on the Holden-developed RWD architecture.

Mr Lindsay refused to comment on the global programs that have been canned and/or shelved. However, overseas reports have suggested that stringent fuel consumption standards in the United States have forced GM to abandon plans to create both the Lucerne and Impala using Australian-sourced design and engineering.

Furthermore, US industry journal Automotive News this week reported that design work for a number of GM brands outside North America was being transferred to Detroit in response to US vehicle programs being delayed or cancelled, which in turn has freed up US designers for other projects.

It cited the Impala and “an unnamed Buick sedan” as examples, and quoted GM design vice-president Ed Welburn, who said: “We have had a couple (of) studios where some projects have been cancelled. We have other studios that are totally overloaded. We just need to level that work around the globe.”

Studios believed to be swamped with design work are those working on GM’s new-generation small cars, in particular the Opel R&D centre in Germany and GM Daewoo Auto & Technology in South Korea.

“They can’t handle it all,” Mr Welburn said. “So some of that work will be done in North America.”

GM spokesperson Mike Albano was also quoted as saying that GM’s design centre in Warren, Michigan, was expected to eventually handle work for two vehicle architectures. He declined to identify those platforms, but said: “We have some work being shifted in process for small, subcompact (vehicles), that kind of category. I certainly could foresee more car programs coming into Warren as the market changes.”

Mr Lindsay insisted that design work at Holden was not being channelled into an overseas studio.

“The projects that have impacted us are ones that have either been cancelled or delayed – they were not projects being moved from here to elsewhere,” he said.

Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Oh no more Koreans out of work... Sarcasm...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess this proves that the whole Australian car industry is in danger, not just Ford like so many like to think, I know this isnt the beginning of the end but for me it would be a shame to see either Ford or Holden cease to exist
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps this should be front page news.

Australian car companies are producing great cars now, and the government needs to support them more by trying to shift private buyers towards them.

Of course, high petrol prices don't help. Fuelwatch was great.
We all watched it go up, and up, then down a bit. Still...bloody expensive.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

I heard from a reliable source that at least 170 Engineers are going for starters
Old 05-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whales
I heard from a reliable source that at least 170 Engineers are going for starters
More engineers to the dole queue :

Teson trims in Euroa in serious trouble, expected at this stage is that they will close. One more supplier down the gurgler.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Sad news this, However I have to ask the question, After all the negative press about Ford axing 350 odd jobs last week, why is this not all over the news?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Sad news this, However I have to ask the question, After all the negative press about Ford axing 350 odd jobs last week, why is this not all over the news?
Sorry, don't want to hijack the Holden thread but here is the Teson Trims info from The Age.

Quote:
Car-parts firm on brink of collapse
Ben Schneiders and Paul Millar
September 5, 2008 - 9:53AM
Euroa's largest employer, which accounts for about 10% of the town's workforce, is on the brink of collapse as the car industry slowdown potentially devastates the Victorian town.

More than 100 jobs are at risk at Euroa and at least 15 jobs at Mitcham as decades-old car part supplier Teson Trims suffers from difficult market conditions and cutbacks at major players such as Ford.

It is believed other suppliers higher up the production chain are attempting to rescue Teson Trims - which manufactures car interiors - from collapse.

Strathbogie Shire Council mayor Gregory Carlson expected the future of the company to be resolved by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. But he was preparing for the worst.

"If the business does cease it will be early next week and it would have a tremendous impact on the town,'' Cr Carlson said.

"Obviously the whole thing is under threat, but we've had a few near-death experiences over the years, these sort of companies are operating on wafer-thin margins but it does not look good,'' he said.

He said local government officials and company representatives would met with Regional Development Victoria today to see what could be done.

Failure of the company would be the latest blow for Euroa which last year ran out of water and has suffered from the Hume Freeway bypass in the early 1990s which diverted traffic away from the town.

National Union of Workers state secretary Antony Thow, when asked about the company's speculated demise, said: ``We are hopeful that the company can continue. This is a very important employer in Euroa and the surrounding regions,'' he said.

Mr Thow called on support from the company's customers so Teson Trims could continue in manufacturing.

Management at Teson Trims did not return calls yesterday but were in talks with stakeholders yesterday.

In a 2002 submission to the Productivity Commission, the company said it was privately owned and had supplied car components for 60 years. The submission said it manufactured metal, fibreboard, leather and polymer based interior trim parts for the car industry.

Teson Trims is a third-tier supplier, providing products for other suppliers who then supply them to the big carmakers Ford, Toyota and Holden.
Nationals Member for Benalla Bill Sykes said the State Government should step in and do all it could to help a region that was already being hit hard by the drought.

"This company has been a really good in providing employment for the local people,'' Mr Sykes said.

According to 2006 census data, Euroa, with a population of just under 2800 people, has 1077 people employed and locals say Teson Trims is the town's biggest employer.

Besides the direct job losses, there would be flow-ons to other businesses in the town. IGA supermarket owner Colin Burton said a closure of the factory would devastate Euroa.

"Most of the businesses in the country are struggling anyway and the town is already struggling with 70 odd houses for sale,'' Mr Burton said.

He said the factory workers were major buyers in Euroa. "You always know when the factory closes as the shop becomes really busy,'' he said.

In recent weeks large job cuts have been announced at Ford, Boeing, Fairfax Media, Starbucks and at car parts suppliers PBR, and Unidrive.

There are fears many more car suppliers will go under after Ford's move to cut production by up to 25%.

Premier John Brumby yesterday said the state's economy was performing strongly - after the positive GDP figures on Wednesday - but warned the environment was still "very difficult''.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Things aren't looking good for the local automotive industry...
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perception doesn't help.

People think that European cars are so damn good, while Australian cars are just plain crap.

I've sat in a 50k Mercedes and dare I say, our XF station wagon was roomier, more comfortable, and had a quieter engine.

I do not see the fuss.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
More than 100 jobs are at risk at Euroa and at least 15 jobs at Mitcham as decades-old car part supplier Teson Trims suffers from difficult market conditions and cutbacks at major players such as Ford
are these people to lazy to type more then four letters...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I hope the government realises that it needs to do something, mayber a tax on asian imports, with the money going direct to the local industry, its sad to see the government not support the companies that have driven australia for the past 60 odd years...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I hope the government realises that it needs to do something, mayber a tax on asian imports, with the money going direct to the local industry, its sad to see the government not support the companies that have driven australia for the past 60 odd years...
Why protect an industry that is failing due to its own mistakes?

While it isn't good to see people losing their jobs, the only people that can be blamed are the management of these companies.
Why couldn't they see the change in the market? The writing has been on the wall for god knows how long yet they still persisted in building cars which were declining in popularity. Other makes were able to adjust.

I don't want to see the government having to prop up sinking ships, if a company can't survive without handouts then what good is it?
The organisation I work for retrenched 11 people in one dept this week, why didn't it make the news? Why don't we get handouts? The company accepted responsibility for not adjusting to change quick enough and paid the concequence. They've developed a strategy with their OWN money to work towards a more profitable next quarter.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You mean TARRIF protection of our local manufacturing industry?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #15
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the government could subsidize some costs towards locally built cars or something?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #16
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Maybe the government could subsidize some costs towards locally built cars or something?
YES!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
You mean TARRIF protection of our local manufacturing industry?

yes, fix the one we have...it seems to effect the expensive cars only...

Although i cant see anything being done, not with our lousy rudder...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
yes, fix the one we have...it seems to effect the expensive cars only...

Although i cant see anything being done, not with our lousy rudder...
Because that will acheive a lot. :togo:

Increasing tariffs won't change the way Ford and Holden do things, they will still build the barges no one wants at the rate they used to buy them.
There are far better cars out there that suit peoples needs, so why should the buying public have to be penalised for wanting something different, better suited to them and most times of better quality?

The market has changed, Ford and Holden didn't.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
220XR8
Banned

^ How right you are ^
220XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #19
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Honestly I think as far a Ford are concerned, their biggest problem is Ford. As long as the Yanks are still building that ancient Crown Vic, instead of selling the far superior Falcon everywhere, Our falcon will always find development money hard to get. Not making the FG compatible for left hand drive was a big mistake IMO.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
Honestly I think as far a Ford are concerned, their biggest problem is Ford. As long as the Yanks are still building that ancient Crown Vic, instead of selling the far superior Falcon everywhere, Our falcon will always find development money hard to get. Not making the FG compatible for left hand drive was a big mistake IMO.
That isn't Ford Australia's fault.
They're governed by the US band.

It's sad though, definitely agree with you. The Falcon has become a truly great car, and if it was exported, the media would at least report it.
If an Australian car was able to replace or find a niche in the US market, that would be a story of great significance.

I hope that one day, the Falcon is made LHD compliant.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #21
azaxr8

as i hate holden, im happy. But if ford die before holden. that will be the next car i own before this jap crap.... i would rather ride a push bike then own a bitsrmissing(mitsubishi) or shitaru
azaxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 04:21 PM   #22
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaxr8
as i hate holden, im happy. But if ford die before holden. that will be the next car i own before this jap crap.... i would rather ride a push bike then own a bitsrmissing(mitsubishi) or shitaru
Yep, it's all the Japs fault for all this....they had the nerve to build their cars with more care and precision as well as planning ahead and adapting to the changing market. It's not Ford or GMs fault at all for failing to read the market trends and adapting themselves :
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #23
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
Yep, it's all the Japs fault for all this....they had the nerve to build their cars with more care and precision as well as planning ahead and adapting to the changing market. It's not Ford or GMs fault at all for failing to read the market trends and adapting themselves :
It's not that the Japanese have a better product it's simply that their workers receive less pay and conditions and have to work at a frantic pace. Most Japanese auto workers are casual temp labor.

Compare that to the Americans where the unions have them over the barrel therefore to be price competitive they have to cut corners.

Every time you whinge about poor plastics think at least the Aussie workers are paid a decent wage.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #24
zak88
FG GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
It's not that the Japanese have a better product it's simply that their workers receive less pay and conditions and have to work at a frantic pace. Most Japanese auto workers are casual temp labor.

Compare that to the Americans where the unions have them over the barrel therefore to be price competitive they have to cut corners.

Every time you whinge about poor plastics think at least the Aussie workers are paid a decent wage.
one thing certain, the japanese workers takes pride in what they do.
zak88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 11:48 PM   #25
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Ah yes, so using cheap labour to build cars makes them reliable all of a sudden does it? Funny how a Corolla, Camry or any Honda, built with cheap casual temp labour as you say, can keep on going strong with 250,000kms on the clock whereas the Falconadore's are blowing head gaskets, leaking oil everywhere & are just about falling apart.

Its this sort of ignorance that has driven the local industry into the wall - head in the sand & she'll be right mate.

When the Japanese & Europeans were focusing on expanding their engineering knowledge, developing new manufacturing techniques & investing in new materials, the Aussies & Yanks sat on their high horses & preeched to the world that they knew best. They gambled & they lost big time - now its time for them to bend over & cop it sweet.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #26
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Ah yes, so using cheap labour to build cars makes them reliable all of a sudden does it? Funny how a Corolla, Camry or any Honda, built with cheap casual temp labour as you say, can keep on going strong with 250,000kms on the clock whereas the Falconadore's are blowing head gaskets, leaking oil everywhere & are just about falling apart.

Its this sort of ignorance that has driven the local industry into the wall - head in the sand & she'll be right mate.

When the Japanese & Europeans were focusing on expanding their engineering knowledge, developing new manufacturing techniques & investing in new materials, the Aussies & Yanks sat on their high horses & preeched to the world that they knew best. They gambled & they lost big time - now its time for them to bend over & cop it sweet.
Talking about ignorance, jumped in a falcon taxi cab lately? i'm sure they have a lot more then 250,000kms on the clock and they don't seem to be falling apart. cant say the same about the camry taxis...

Its all about regular servicing, look after your car and it will look after you. and also FYI the pre AU heads (the ones that did blow head gaskets) were actually a Honda design.

Its your kind of ignorance which is killing the local industry. people straight off think the Aussie product is of poor quality, and the imported stuff must be better.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #27
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich

Um I have a XE with 850,000 on the clock never missed a beat and I daresay half the Falcadores on the road have 250,000 plus.

My AU goes strong despite often being taken drifting copping limiter bouncing and neutral slapping. My uncles property has close to a 100 cars of all makes and I guarantee you Camrys and Corollas are hopeless paddock bashers dead within days. XD's and XE's are unburstable.

The best Jap cars are Nissans and Mazdas. Cruisers are good but Toyota passenger cars are hopeless.

As for engineering????? Compare the FG Falcon to the Aurion/Camry. Despite being built on a global platform with a parent making billions in profit, being smaller and over 200 kilos lighter with a gobal engine the Aurion/Camry is less safe, handles like a bucket of , is slower, offers nowhere near the number of variants, nowhere near the suspension sophistication and uses barely less fuel than the old Aussie Falcon slapped together out the back of Melbourne and slotted with a low-production cast-iron six from Geelong.

Quality surveys are rubbish too. They barely survey a thousand people and in fact in Europe and America Ford is up the top of surveys.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #28
PALE ALE

The crazy thing is, the government continues to cut tariff's with one hand (allowing the Aussie market to open up, to import's). Yet, prop's Aussie manufacturer's up with hand out's with the other ?
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Ford cutting 750 jobs this year and a further 260 jobs next year. Where will this all end?
Old 15-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #30
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he's obviously never driven one.. atleast one that wasnt 10 years old anyway
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post