Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
boo81

Default iTouch and iPhone owners

"Introducing: Dynolicious

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!"

Thought this might be of interest for the owners of these devices. A mate got it and said it works very well.

Website - here

Enjoy :

FOR GO: Pacemaker 4490 headers, 2.5" Stainless steel Zorst, K&N panel filter, XR6T Upper Snorkel, F6 lower snorkel, 3" CAI (Thanks Troppo), Generic 98RON tune... 170rwkw :evil3: FOR SHOW: iPod connection, XR6 Scuff plates, XR6 airbox plate, Alloy pedels
boo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how well it will work on an iPod touch. I assume that it requires GPS for some features.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
boo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
I don't know how well it will work on an iPod touch. I assume that it requires GPS for some features.
I thought the same thing, but apparently it uses the 'tilt' sensors?

from their site
"It's all in the Gees

Dynolicious utilizes the accelerometer built in to your iPhone or iPod Touch to sense the motion of your vehicle. This data is sampled as many as one hundred times per second, developing a detailed picture of the car's acceleration. This information is then used to determine the speed of the vehicle and the distance travelled. Due to the unique hardware integrated into the iPhone, this can all be done with no setup, wires, or extra equipment! "

FOR GO: Pacemaker 4490 headers, 2.5" Stainless steel Zorst, K&N panel filter, XR6T Upper Snorkel, F6 lower snorkel, 3" CAI (Thanks Troppo), Generic 98RON tune... 170rwkw :evil3: FOR SHOW: iPod connection, XR6 Scuff plates, XR6 airbox plate, Alloy pedels
boo81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #4
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
Both iPhone and iTouch have an accelerometer built-in. No need for GPS.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

interesting find boo81. Is it anything like a G-Tech? i hope not.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo81
"Introducing: Dynolicious

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built-in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle or cupholder and go!"

Thought this might be of interest for the owners of these devices. A mate got it and said it works very well.

Website - here

Enjoy :
Or you could just buy a Nokia N95, it has all the features of the iPhone except the w@nky touch screen (which I think would be a pain in the real world, I rarely look at the keyboard on my phone, a bit hard to do with a touch screen). It's been out for about 18 months has an accelerometer and built in GPS (as do most high end phones now) and you can download software that does the same thing as Dynolicious, as well as all of the gimicky software that bloats up the iPhone if you want to. And the best bit, it's all free, you don't have to stuff Apples fat pockets to get the next gimmick. It's only a Google away.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo66
Or you could just buy a Nokia N95, it has all the features of the iPhone except the w@nky touch screen (which I think would be a pain in the real world, I rarely look at the keyboard on my phone, a bit hard to do with a touch screen). It's been out for about 18 months has an accelerometer and built in GPS (as do most high end phones now) and you can download software that does the same thing as Dynolicious, as well as all of the gimicky software that bloats up the iPhone if you want to. And the best bit, it's all free, you don't have to stuff Apples fat pockets to get the next gimmick. It's only a Google away.
Yep...what Magoo said.

And we 95 users can also.... nah I'd better not go there
Old 29-07-2008, 08:22 PM   #8
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Or you could just buy a Nokia N95, it has all the features of the iPhone except the w@nky touch screen ....
Funny I thought this was a thread about the iphone and itouch. Not a old Nokia has-been. ;)

There's a heap of gimmicky apps out there for the iphone (free and paid), but quite a number of ones that are very handy. I think the Dynolicious will fall in the former, but still looks interesting.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #9
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
+1

I agree, and I have neither phone, the iphone is rubbish though. All the people I know that have it are in the process of selling it, or thinking of doing so.

I guess that software is okay, but a single accelerometer and no mount would make it kind of rubbish.

If you wanted something more suited to the job for $90 try
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beltr...spagenameZWD2V

Has multiple sensors and a good mount. Only problem is it has to come from America which takes a week. I've bought two, and they are great value.

Last edited by Darkr; 29-07-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correct link
Darkr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

hahah iPhone, its like Holden and Ford or football teams.

IMHO if you like technology devices and can handle face value, they're a victim of hype and actually not a bad jigger. But of course thats OFF TOPIC as its not what the thread is about.

For the record I'm brand neutral on the Ford Holden issue.

On topic Im not sure how useful the software would be without GPS support, but Im not a fan of stride sensors in running shoes either ;)

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #11
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Thanks for the info, I'll grab it as soon as I hit a WiFi hotspot. It doesn't have to be dead accurate, just as long as it gives and indication.N

N95... nah.

FYI. Most apps are put out by private developers, and the money goes to them. Using iTunes store simply puts it all in one place, and would give Apple a % of the sale. Apps can be purchased through the developers private site
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Sprint347
Tickford

I'll definetly give this a go when it's available... but it'll be a matter of time before the outcry of 'this will only encourage hoons' occurs
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #13
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

OK so has anyone here actually tried this? I now have an iPhone 3GS (awesome device) and want to know if Dynilicious is worth the money. I've tried the free version of Pocket Dyno but it is pretty useless without being able to enter a weight for the car.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Might have to download the program to the gfs ipod touch and give it ago lol!
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
craigr1801
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have no ideawhat you people are talking about But my work,in their wisdom decided it would be "more efficiant" if I had an iPhone.
It sure is as I spent more time surfing the forum and internet than work.
I must catch up on some business things tonight,or tomorrow
craigr1801 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Definetly not for me. I mean, anyone who's serious about checking their cars acceleration times shouldn't be doing it on the street with an iPhone anyway, private property obviously excepted, the same with us SA folk, devoid of a drag strip as we are. I don't know how accurate it would be on an iPhone either, so that would be another factor against this app.

Now, I'll probably go and get it anyway, as I am an app whore!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #17
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

its $15.99!!! No way!

Im one of those that bought the iphone and seriously regret the crappy thing! Not paying $16 for a stupid gimmick.

Is there anything else out there as good as this expensive app?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 08:27 PM   #18
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Sure is.
http://pcworld.about.com/od/browsers...ce-Apps-fo.htm
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
UKXR8

Its a great app, it reckons that my XR8 has 500bhp, must be true!
Good old K&N Filter LOL

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #20
1TUFXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXR8
Its a great app, it reckons that my XR8 has 500bhp, must be true!
Good old K&N Filter LOL
hahahaha.. thats hell funny
1TUFXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been using similar technology for about a year on my old crusty nokia, for free too.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

I have installed this application ..If anyone has a Jailbroken iphone.
i can snd you the file if interesetdd about 3.6MB in size and you can try for yourself

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #23
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Gimmick is the main word that should be associated with an iPhone...

At the end of the day - does it actually make phone calls??
because I would safely say that 95% of the owners and users of iPhones couldn't care less if it makes calls....
So long as they can show off apps, slide their finger on the screen, and show everyone else their fancy piece of technology...

If you want to know how much power your car has, maybe visit a dynamometer and strap it in!!! hahahaha...

While the iPhone 'gimmicks' can be good fun, they are exactly that... gimmicks... and they seem to work very well at lifting small amounts of money from your pocket... much like a small child thief....

I'll just stick to my crappy N73 that has not missed a beat in 4 years....
Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

At the end of the day - does it actually make phone calls??
because I would safely say that 95% of the owners and users of iPhones couldn't care less if it makes calls....
So long as they can show off apps, slide their finger on the screen, and show everyone else their fancy piece of technology...
Phone calls aren't that high on the priority list for me with my iPhone, though it's certainly handy to have. Mine is mainly used as an iPod, being able to connect my notebook to the Internet when I'm on the road or being able to remote control my servers from the iPhone when I don't want to drag out my notebook. It does all three exceptionally well.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
good to hear, perhaps you could start a thread on how much you hate them and leave this thread for people who have one, like it and are interested in the app being discussed.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:56 PM   #26
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
good to hear, perhaps you could start a thread on how much you hate them and leave this thread for people who have one, like it and are interested in the app being discussed.
I'm sorry cs123.... i hadn't realised that the thread was called:

I'm in love with my iPhone and am looking for a state where marriage to an electrical appliance is legal

My ignorance is noted : on this subject as I have NEVER used on iPhone... and probably don't have the need for some of its features.... The reason I said what I did previously is based on the masses of advertising about the iPhones '90,000 apps' which I would bet most are Gimmicks and wastes of time.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm sorry cs123.... i hadn't realised that the thread was called:

I'm in love with my iPhone and am looking for a state where marriage to an electrical appliance is legal

My ignorance is noted : on this subject as I have NEVER used on iPhone... and probably don't have the need for some of its features.... The reason I said what I did previously is based on the masses of advertising about the iPhones '90,000 apps' which I would bet most are Gimmicks and wastes of time.
Sorry , am feeling a bit snippy today
Old 09-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #28
Chopped
as in chopped

Nokia...NOKIA..are they still around !

"Finnish mobile phone makers Nokia's profits have dropped by 90% since last year, falling from £1.08 billion last year to £108 million.
The recession has led to many people delaying buying a new phone or buying cheaper models with smaller profit margins. Competition at the top end of the market, previously dominated by Nokia, has become very tough since Blackberry and now the iPhone have eaten into Nokia's market share."

N96 / N97 = crap.

Just as the iPod transformed our music players, The iPhone has transformed the phone.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #29
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have NEVER used on iPhone.
Says it all.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2009, 04:46 PM   #30
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmcmillan
Says it all.
Which means 1 of only 2 things Josh...

#1... I haven't had the need to (ie: my technology needs are basic)
#2... I don't want one (ie: i can play games on my PS3 or PC, and don't need to play them when I am not at home)

Like I said before - I am ignorant to the actual 'features' (read:not gimmicks) that an iPhone has, and I am ignorant to what it is capable of achieving...
So as opposed to being a know-it-all - I am simply saying I know nothing about them....

Mearly an opinion that the way that they are advertised is NOT as a functional piece of business equipment capable of syncronising with your laptop/network/wireless, keeping you in the loop of your emails while you are not at your computer, feeding you information on shares, news, and other business needs....

It is advertised as a new-age portable game player and marketed at tech-savy kids with cash to burn (repeat: Advert says 90,000 + apps, how many of that 90,000 are designed SIMPLY for kids to download and pay $3.99 for them???)

My feeling (read:IMHO) is that they are a game playing tool aimed at scraping small amounts of cash from kids/youth, multiple times, to cash in on their inability to function without technology....

If one kid downloads 5-10 apps at $3.99 a pop... $40 thanks very much... if all his mates then want an iPhone and get one and do the same.... x 10, and so it goes on....

But for me - a humble basic phone (which is nearly impossible to get these days) will do for now until I may have the need for a phone to be run by a flux-capacitor and plug into the iPod dock in my DeLorean.... So long as it reads a digital speed to 142km/h (thats 88mph) then I'll be fine!!!!