Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2.7l V6 Td

ok i decided it was time for a bit of a rant. why oh why can't Ford Australia put the 2.7L V6 TD in the Falcon and Territory (the jaguar 2.7L V6)? the number of people i've talked to that have said "i would buy a Territory IF they came in a diesel but they don't so i bought a prado"!!!!!!!!!!
recently Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar XJ6D, with the 2.7L and it returned 53MPG, which equates to 5.33L/100km!!!!!!!!! surely if that engine fits in the Jaguar engine bay it will fit in the Falcon and Territory. and this same engine fitted in the Jaguar S-type went around the Nurburgring in Germany in under 10 minutes.

to me it seems to be a very suitable engine for Ford Australia?

anyone else agree?

want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The terri would have had a diesel option if good old Tom didn't cut it from the program. Last I heard it was due in 2010 unless its been canned.

As for the Falcon I think LI would be their first priority. Just hope they match it with the 5sp auto.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There now may be an issue in gaining access to this 2.7L engine as Jaguar is no longer part of Ford.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
There now may be an issue in gaining access to this 2.7L engine as Jaguar is no longer part of Ford.

I believe that FORD had written conditions in the sale that they are still allowed to use all the engines. I suppose they are the part owners in the engine technology so i guess they were protecting themselves.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Isn't there a similar issue happening with the ZF?
Old 24-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-XY
recently Jeremy Clarkson drove a Jaguar XJ6D, with the 2.7L and it returned 53MPG, which equates to 5.33L/100km!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to know how he managed to obtain 5.3L/100kms. Our 307 which has a smaller 2.0L HDi engine can only return about 5.8L/100kms as my best figures. What's his secret?

Oh, and a TD Terry. Yes please. I'd want one for the towing capacity!
Old 24-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

Download last night's Top Gear UK. After the race they found it could have gone another 150 miles.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Download last night's Top Gear UK. After the race they found it could have gone another 150 miles.
That was tonight's job when I get home...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
This is what Volvo has at the moment, but the only diesel I could see is the I5 motor.
Based on those specs, the Volvo is approx 1500kgs and the I5 returns 8.3L/100km combined. Doesn't the petrol I6 in the Falcon now return similar figures for a car that is no doubt a bit heavier?
Old 24-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Based on those specs, the Volvo is approx 1500kgs and the I5 returns 8.3L/100km combined. Doesn't the petrol I6 in the Falcon now return similar figures for a car that is no doubt a bit heavier?

10.2L ADR with the 6sp auto and 10.5L with the 5sp auto.
As the terri is 2200kg I think it'll be drinking more then that.
Old 24-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS

Yep, he said the jag would've completed over 1000km on the tank and when you watch the show, Clarkson was giving it a belting, full throttle applications, all the gizmos on (air cond, seat warmers, gps etc etc).

I wonder how it would compared if Captain Slow had been driving it.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Yep, he said the jag would've completed over 1000km on the tank and when you watch the show, Clarkson was giving it a belting, full throttle applications, all the gizmos on (air cond, seat warmers, gps etc etc).

I wonder how it would compared if Captain Slow had been driving it.
no he said it had a rnage of over 1000 MILES
Old 24-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #12
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by want-a-XY
no he said it had a range of over 1000 MILES
That makes it more than 1000km's ;)
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
That makes it more than 1000km's ;)
quite a lot more than 1000km, over 1600km a tank from a luxury 4 door 'saloon' as they say over there.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:29 PM   #14
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Effective plan on the surface, but don't you think Ford could use one of there own engines? Perhaps even something from Volvo?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

This is what Volvo has at the moment, but the only diesel I could see is the I5 motor.

http://www.volvocars.com/au/models/x.../techSpec.aspx

(Had a look on the sites around the world with the same result)
Old 24-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #16
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Well, if it's good enough for the XC90, it's good enough for the Terri. Not so sure about the Falcon though, they're traditionally 6 cylinders, but I guess times are a changing.
Old 24-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Ford is a huge corporation, spanning mutiple continents. Is there really no desiel engine that would suit the falcon and the terri?
Old 24-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #18
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford still owns a small stake in Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin.

The 2.7TTDI is actually a Peugeot/Citroen joint venture and Jag/Land Rover saw how good it was and went for it.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #19
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Ford own NO shares in Jaguar/Land Rover....
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #20
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
Ford own NO shares in Jaguar/Land Rover....
My apologies- it appears they didn't retain a stake in J/LR as they did with Aston Martin.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #21
Carby

Went on a trip in a mates Land Rover Disco 3 with the 2.7 TTDI and all I can say is that it changed my mind about diesels completely. It was quiet, economical, smooth powerful esp. for overtaking and overall a brilliant motor.

If they put that in the Falcon or Territory it would have to be a major seller.
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Far out... If the Jag managed 5.3l/100 what on earth did the Golf or Liberty achieve?? The golf got something like 80MPG.

You have to remember though that the Jag had a rather big fuel tank when compared to the Golf.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

High diesel prices have killed any fuel economy benefits a TD Territory may deliver.

Petrol $1.05
Diesel $1.45

Fuel economy Territory 12.2 L per 100km ADR figure
Fuel economy Territory TD high 8? L per 100km at a guess.

Based on that a TD Territory may cost roughly the same as a petrol powered Territory to run in fuel costs, but the purchase price of a TD V6 Territory has been rumoured to cost up to $5000 more due to the high cost of the engine, even more so now the dollar is weak. Therefor a diesel Territory absolutely makes no economic sense unless you want the extra torque it delivers or the longer range per tank. I wouldn't be suprised if its been canned, as it can no longer piggyback the repackaged Duratec V6 engine bay that would have made it much easier to fit.

I think the diesel boat has now sailed, with clown shoes Tom Gorman delaying it it has basically made it unfeasible. If it was ready to go early 2008 like it was supposed to be before he stopped it, it would have had time to gain traction in the market when petrol prices soared and diesel was an attractive propostion to save money in fuel costs. Unless diesel price drops occur that mirror the drops that petrol has recieved lately I don't think a TD V6 Territory may become available.

A liquid LPG Territory is a much smarter choice, and it should become available.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:25 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

A liquid LPG Territory is a much smarter choice, and it should become available.

Pretty much. If they could get the tank to fit in there by the time of the 2010 launch. It should go very well with the crowd.
Old 28-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #25
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
High diesel prices have killed any fuel economy benefits a TD Territory may deliver.

Petrol $1.05
Diesel $1.45.
Trust me, it's still cheaper to run a diesel car. LPG by far is the cheapest though.
Old 28-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Trust me, it's still cheaper to run a diesel car. LPG by far is the cheapest though.
It might work out maybe $5 cheaper per week, so many weeks do you think it will take to make back the higher purchase price, cause the Jag V6 ain't cheap. Ford have talked about it before and the diesel could be upto $5k more expensive. It may take 20 years to make the higher costs back in miniscule fuel savings.

GoAuto worked it out to be something like 17 years to make the money back about 2 months ago based on their assumed figures for a V6TD Territory Vs petrol.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #27
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This calculation though is based on petrol being a costant $1-ish per litre into the medium term future. I wouldn't think this will be the case.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #28
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Yes it is, but it all depends on whether you pay extra for the diesel engine and how many Kms you do a year.

The less you drive and the more you pay for the engine the less likely it is to actually save you money.

For example a Toyota Prado Petrol vs Diesel equates to the diesel model costing $10 a week less to repay, run, service, if you drive 15,000km a year. At current prices and assuming RRP for the cars and using the ADR combined cycles.

A Nissan Pathfinder petrol vs Diesel is something like $30 week cheaper to have the diesel because the diesel model cost less than the petrol one (auto standard).

On the other hand a Landcruiser 200 series is cheaper to run the petrol V8 for the first 5 years because of the $10,000 premium to buy the diesel. Based on 15,000km.

Then there are the cheaper servcing costs associated with diesel...
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #29
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The major pain in the backside is to make the Tezza run on gas the spare wheel has to go, so either a space saver or it will be placed on the liftgate. (yuk)
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #30
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The Jaguar XF 2.7TD has an economy of 7.5L/100km and is pretty much the same size/weight as Falcon. That'd be nice!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post