Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
krzysiek

Thumbs up Stop SOPA - A Free Internet

Hey guys,

Not many of you probably are aware at all, since I doubt many of you hang out in internet marketing / online forums too much. Maybe some of you do, but that is just my opinion. No offence meant.

Therefore, I've decided to share a little something.

The US is trying to introduce the 'SOPA' bill which will basically allow the large entertainment companies to take down websites, almost immediately - without any type of judgement/hearing/system. Literally, if it passes - they will have the power to take websites offline.

They would be able to take websites off for almost any reason. If it looks like it might be promoting 'piracy' - then they could take it off the web. From my knowledge, they would only have the power to do this in the US, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize the effects it would have even on us, in Australia.

For example, if someone on this forum had, at any one stage, linked to a file / website that was/is believed to be related to piracy, they could just take this whole forum down. Literally, it would be up to them.

Chances of that actually happening? Not too high, since for the most part this forum is automotive and doesn't deal much with music, videos etc. But would it be possible? Certainly would be, if this new law comes in.

For more information, just Google "what is the SOPA bill" and you can do some reading on it.

Now, what is the MOST interesting:

It is the entertainment industry that is really trying to fund this new SOPA bill. You know, the music and movie industries that seem to be the most 'damaged' by 'online piracy'.

Well, take a look at this video below and you'll learn how it is actually the entertainment industry itself, that distributed all of the software that most/all of you would have at least heard of. Limewire, Kazaa, Bit Torrents, etc.

Without further delay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DkrsCCQ_A

Edit: Not interested in some flame wars or debates. I am just doing my bit for the internet

Last edited by krzysiek; 24-12-2011 at 06:48 PM.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stop SOPA - A Free Internet

And this relates to Ford Australia/ automotive chat how?
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
Images, you tube etc...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
himynameisjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
"The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat
himynameisjake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
krzysiek

You're right, it doesn't relate to anything specifically automotive. It does however relate in the sense that this forum is a part of the internet.

I thought it might be good to give some of you guys an honest heads up. If you're not interested, that's fine - but keep it to yourself. I am sure the mods will come and close/delete this as soon as they see fit, and if that is how they want to handle it, then that is fine by me. But let's leave it up to them to decide, maybe they will realize some importance too.

Anyway, thanks for your comment.
Old 24-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
krzysiek

In a nutshell. In the case of MGM vs Grokster, the supreme court ruled The person responsible for distributing the means to infringe said copyright material, with the intent to further perpetrate the copyright infringement is liable for the resulting acts of copyright by the people downloading the material.

In layman terms. The guys who give out the software are the people legally accountable for any copyright infringement.

So when a big company like Time Warner sue's some single mom for $200,000 and bankrupts her. The people that should actually be getting sued are the distributors of the software.

This guy has proof that the same company that is accountable for distributing the software is also suing the people that use it. He further details how these companies coached users in methods on how to easily download the copyrighted material.

The whole premise for this was to introduce a "copyright violation culture" so they can easily implement crazy, radical laws that allow huge companies to basically control the internet.
Old 24-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

The legislation only applies to the US.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
The legislation only applies to the US.
Initially yes but how long do you think that will last ??
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if someone powerful can see a buk in it.....it will probably spread.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who cares, its America, not Australia.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
and a lot of websites people use are american, so yes it will affect.
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
although it's now dead, this legislation was actually aimed at foreign websites, (and yes, since australia isn't a usa state, we are foreign). they were planning on taking down o/seas websites by disabling DNS.

Quote:
Think of how many of these forums reside on servers in countries that give zero about the US and its quest to be the world's 'moral beacon'...
exactly what they were aiming at.
Old 19-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

This is a BIG Deal in the USA.........it is HUGE.

Working for a USA owned company - I can tell you that things like PIPA ( Intellectual property Piracy ) is a massive concern......There aretraining programs at work detailing responsibilities and repercussions on these sorts of things. Disciplinary action etc.... In fact - failure to complete the training course has become grounds for PIP ( Performance Improvement Plans and possible dismissal for persistent neglect on completion )

It's the fault of the discovery channel........too many details on those docos that allowed all those foreign NON US govts to just sit and watch them and then build their own tanks / warplanes / internet networks / Top secret Submarines and millions of other sundry societel dependant techno gadgets.....

Basically - it's a way for the US Govt to fill their coffers again after having them emptied by countless war campaigns over the last 20 years..........cynical.....yes ! Easy money on litigation......yes......

The technical resources section on this website "may" be an example where it "may" need to be licensed and permission granted for such literature to appear on this site. Especially if they have been cut and pasted from FORD literature.

The biggest impact from these sorts of laws really only affects the likes of legitimate "public face" companies and sites where they need to be open and honest about their sources and links......hence opening themselves to licensing agreements and spiralling costs.

Ironically - the "hackers" and pirate downloaders will always find a way around the IP and SOPA laws and continue to "breach" the system regardless.

This will be real interesting to watch as the Bills are heavily backed by some powerful lobby groups - so it is also very politically inclined and provides some distraction to the more pressing domestic issues that the US senate and govt alike faces.....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 02:00 AM   #14
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
By default it is us as well , we have trading agreements with the US which means when you get caught you get dragged into court , of course the accusation is enought for a fine , no proof required right here in downtown Oz
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

I care .. thanks for the info mate.
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For all those saying "it doesn't matter because it's the US", think of how much of the internet's physical infrastructure (servers and so on) are located there
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Think of how many of these forums reside on servers in countries that give zero about the US and its quest to be the world's 'moral beacon'...

Last edited by flappist; 24-12-2011 at 11:39 PM. Reason: do not circumvent the swear filter, it will bite you
Old 25-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #18
krzysiek

Quote:
Unfortunately, we're not just talking about forums. We're talking about the WWW, the whole world-wide-web - which a lot of it is US based/hosted.

Edit: sorry was posting on mobile and did not yet read your post where you said you looked into the bill. I'm glad you looked into it, it's not as good as govco would have you believe, is it! I hope more people have a bit of a read

Last edited by krzysiek; 25-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 24-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically all they are trying to do is stop people stealing there property. I agree with them, if it stops people stealing movies, tv shows and programs good on them. Think of it this way, if another person stole your car, you would be angry. There are currently laws in place to protect you, from people stealing your property, why cant these creators of movies and such have the same protection.

Every day I see people post in the stolen thread on this forum and other forums saying these people are scum, dogs etc, but people who steal movies are no different.

Only people who lose out are going to be people who steal movies, tv shows and programs etc, from the net.

Yes I know how to download movies, TV shows and such, but I would rather buy them.

If you do not like what the internet has become, there is always an off button on your computer.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #20
krzysiek

Quote:
Basically all they are trying to do is stop people stealing there property. I agree with them, if it stops people stealing movies, tv shows and programs good on them. Think of it this way, if another person stole your car, you would be angry. There are currently laws in place to protect you, from people stealing your property, why cant these creators of movies and such have the same protection.

Every day I see people post in the stolen thread on this forum and other forums saying these people are scum, dogs etc, but people who steal movies are no different.

Only people who lose out are going to be people who steal movies, tv shows and programs etc, from the net.

Yes I know how to download movies, TV shows and such, but I would rather buy them.

If you do not like what the internet has become, there is always an off button on your computer.
While I agree with you completely about theft and it being wrong, I can't help but think that you didn't watch the video. I do not even slightly mean to be disrespectful, but the video addresses exactly what you are talking about.

The companies who are suing people for 'piracy' and for stealing movies/music are the SAME people who gave us, the masses, the actual means and software to do so. That's why this is a BIG issue, because this was all premeditated. The bill itself is a nightmare, but to think that the people who are PUSHING for the bill (read: pushing to control the Internet) are actually the same people who basically guided us to stealing the music and movies is just mind boggling.

They give us the software to perform the illegal activities, then they sue us (as they have done many times) and now they are literally trying to take large control over the Internet because of all of the 'piracy', the piracy that they THEMSELVES initiated through putting the software out there, THEMSELVES. That there, my friends, is why this is a big issue.

FURTHER, to those who say "this only affects the US so who cares". I understand where you come from, and while it might make logical sense to say something like that - when we dig deeper, it's actually a fairly silly statement to make.

I can bet my life on the fact that you more than likely use several American based websites regularly. Popular ones include Google (hosted here but also in US etc), YouTube and many many others. Believe me, you will feel the impact - there is absolutely no doubt.
Old 24-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #21
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I had a rather good look at the SOPA bills and I must say, I was quite alarmed by what I read. For those who think that they are there to stop intellectual property theft, wrong. It is but a pretense (and a reason) for the 'authorities' to control what can and can't be posted on the 'net. It's net censorship, pure and simple. Anything that goes against Govco policies and is critical of the "Establishment" will be shut down without any notice.
Old 25-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Does that mean youtube can be shut down??? I know you can grab songs straight from the site and create MP3's. There is even sites that will convert youtube videos to MP3, I imagine they will be stomp on?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #23
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Does that mean youtube can be shut down??? I know you can grab songs straight from the site and create MP3's. There is even sites that will convert youtube videos to MP3, I imagine they will be stomp on?

yup.

goes back to the other thread we were discussing what governments do, but that was arbitrarily closed.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #24
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Anything that is US hosted, can be taken down under the proposed law. If YouTube is US hosted, which it likely definitely is, then yes YouTube could just as easily be taken down. Although, that wouldn't be a very good idea of they're trying to keep relatively quiet about their powers to take websites offline with no warning.

YouTube already allows the big entertainment companies to immediately take videos off of YouTube. That is, these big companies have the power to remove a video without needing to ask YouTube. They can remove anything they want. Reason is, due to current existing law, if YouTube 'interferes' (or anyone for that matter) with copyright infringement - then there are huge fines to be handed out. It is the sensible option for YouTube to just allow the companies to take off whatever they might say is 'copyright infringement'.

But let's not get sidetracked with YouTube, because this thing has the potential to affect a whole lot more.
Old 25-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it won't stop much, those that are infringing copyright will move to servers in other countries. some contries don't care what goes through it's servers making them havens for illegal activity

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 01:10 AM   #26
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it won't stop much, those that are infringing copyright will move to servers in other countries. some countries don't care what goes through it's servers making them havens for illegal activity
There's already a couple of Firefox add-ons that get around the proposed law.

While this is going on in the US, the next time Australia has trade talks with the USA, this sort of legislation may be raised and Australia "encouraged" to implement it's own version. The alarming thing about this new law is sites that have been ACCUSED of copyright infringement can be shut down. That's right - accused, not proven. The music/movie industry have been seeking the power to be the police, judge and executioner for years. They've called for levies (payable to them) on audio cassettes, then it was blank CDs. Then they tried making examples of average people with large lawsuits that are grossly out of whack with the "damages" they caused.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 03:16 AM   #27
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
There's already a couple of Firefox add-ons that get around the proposed law.

While this is going on in the US, the next time Australia has trade talks with the USA, this sort of legislation may be raised and Australia "encouraged" to implement it's own version. The alarming thing about this new law is sites that have been ACCUSED of copyright infringement can be shut down. That's right - accused, not proven. The music/movie industry have been seeking the power to be the police, judge and executioner for years. They've called for levies (payable to them) on audio cassettes, then it was blank CDs. Then they tried making examples of average people with large lawsuits that are grossly out of whack with the "damages" they caused.
Spot on mate.

Plus, someone above said that if they take down the site - the people will just take their site and move it else where. However, that might be a little hard.

From my knowledge, when they take down a website - it isn't just the hosting. They remove the DNS information & domain name completely. That is, you will no longer own the 're-possessed' domain name. I have not confirmed this, but I am quite sure this is how it works. If true, it makes the idea of 'moving to non-US hosting' impossible, as you wouldn't even own the domain apparently.

In either case, it's not something we want to happen. It should not be like that. I am not supporting piracy or stealing - but the video above has opened my eyes in terms of how piracy really came about, and how it became so popular.

It is just so wrong of these companies to encourage people to steal, then to SUE them for it & then later (now) try to control the internet on the basis of piracy, when they're the ones who have pretty much started the whole thing themselves.
Old 25-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so you transfer your domain name registry off shore too. anyone who thinks they can control the internet is delusional it's called the world wide web for a reason.
the US can only control what happens in the US all that will happen is web hosting and domain registries in the US will go broke due to loss of market share

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #29
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
so you transfer your domain name registry off shore too. anyone who thinks they can control the internet is delusional it's called the world wide web for a reason.
the US can only control what happens in the US all that will happen is web hosting and domain registries in the US will go broke due to loss of market share
The US owns the root servers. They own the lot. The US govt will extend this to other countries by twisting the arms of other countries.

They also plan to interrupt the finances of "offending" websites though financial controls such as banning paypal, visa payments. Think about what they did to wikileaks to get an idea of what sort of powers they will have.

SOPA is pretty much condemned by the tech industry including companies that have nothing to do with copyrighted material.
Old 25-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #30
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The US owns the root servers. They own the lot. The US govt will extend this to other countries by twisting the arms of other countries.

They also plan to interrupt the finances of "offending" websites though financial controls such as banning paypal, visa payments. Think about what they did to wikileaks to get an idea of what sort of powers they will have.

SOPA is pretty much condemned by the tech industry including companies that have nothing to do with copyrighted material.
You raise a very good point cs123. Most of the core infrastructure of the internet does reside in the continental US. Should SOPA become "law" (there is a reason I have put law in quotation marks), GovCo essentially has the ability to cripple the internet in a single motion.