Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #1
JamesFordFutura
QUEENSLANDER!

Default Who is your favourite V8 supercharge drive of all time?

Mine would have to be Brock. He was afraid to push the car to hard or go to fast.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
GULL
TuRbO

Default Re: Who is your favourite V8 supercharge drive of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFordFutara
Mine would have to be Brock. He was afraid to push the car to hard or go to fast.
I think you ment to say wasnt afraid.It depends on what your looking for a driver that can drive as one with his car or a driver that is a people person,My fav is colin bond,as he drove many different kinds of cars and he did it well most of the time,and his a nice guy
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
Veefore

Alan Moffat. He brought professionality to Australian motor racing.
Either that or Jim Richards. Nobody has been as successful in so many different "touring" cars. He is also one of the nicest people I have ever met.
Veefore is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
stev3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veefore
Alan Moffat. He brought professionality to Australian motor racing.
Either that or Jim Richards. Nobody has been as successful in so many different "touring" cars. He is also one of the nicest people I have ever met.
love jim also
stev3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

That is a hard one..I met Colin Bond and he was a great guy to talk too. Murray Carter, not so much for his racing, but he is a character who has time for everyone.

I would have to say my favourite is Marcus Ambrose. Only because I watched his last season and thought he was a great driver.

I also think Dick Johnson is right up there! Great guy and very skilled driver.

Cheers
Col
Old 03-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No Brainer Ian ( Big Pete ) Geoghegan . with Moffatt a close second , light years to the rest .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

moff - the only guy that could compare had less than desirable personal traits
i did not have the pleasure of seeing pete and previous era drivers
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

For my money it would have to be Larry Perkins, not only for his driving skills but his engineering prowess, plus he's just a good bloke . Back in the 90s' when everyone was going chev cos they said the old 308 couldn't hack it any more Larry not only didn't agree but put his money where his mouth is and persevered with the aussie iron and stuck it to them at bathurst. Also the only man to ever win Bathurst from a lap down!!

Lightning Larry Perkins, the last great "privateer".

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
For my money it would have to be Larry Perkins, not only for his driving skills but his engineering prowess. Back in the 90s' when everyone was going chev cos they said the old 308 couldn't hack it any more Larry not only didn't agree but put his money where his mouth is and persevered with the aussie iron and stuck it to them at bathurst. Also the only man to ever win Bathurst from a lap down!!

Lightning Larry Perkins, the last great "privateer".

Bushbasher
he was only a lap down on richards/skaife, so he did not actually gain a full lap on anyone. the pace car gained him half a lap towards the end. his engineering was great, but in virtually every win as a driver, he needed a huge stroke of luck
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
he was only a lap down on richards/skaife, so he did not actually gain a full lap on anyone. the pace car gained him half a lap towards the end. his engineering was great, but in virtually every win as a driver, he needed a huge stroke of luck

Have to agree with BUSHBASHER.

You are quoting that Perkins was a lap down on the leader , which means Perkins won the race from being a lap down from lap one of the great race.

Just because someone is a lap down, doesn't mean they are a lap down on the whole field, as you are insinuating. They only need 1 car to do a lap more than them, to go that magic lap down.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

supercharge?

do you mean supercar?

If so, Brocky. In the 80s, in the wet, getting it sideways on slicks.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
supercharge?

do you mean supercar?

If so, Brocky. In the 80s, in the wet, getting it sideways on slicks.
I remember that race, it was the only year of Grp A world championship. That was indeed a damn fine bit of peddling and Brocky crossed the line 3rd before the Egenburger Sierras were disqualified (eventually) for illegal bodywork, although they were caught out using illegal fuel as well. I remember Crompton on pit lane with the wind blowing and rain ****ing down reporting on the fuel testing during the race.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I remember that race, it was the only year of Grp A world championship. That was indeed a damn fine bit of peddling and Brocky crossed the line 3rd before the Egenburger Sierras were disqualified (eventually) for illegal bodywork, although they were caught out using illegal fuel as well. I remember Crompton on pit lane with the wind blowing and rain ****ing down reporting on the fuel testing during the race.

Bushbasher
Not entirely how it happened . A protest was raised re the Eggenberger fuel but as soon as a counter protest was raised against the Commodore runners funnilly enough the original protest was dropped INSTANTLY . Commodores running that high a compression ratio also need funny fuel . That whole year was a bloody disgrace , we wanted to be part of the greater world until they beat us then we whinge and sook and nit pick until we find the tinyest of indiscretions . If only Rudi knew all the areas the Commodores fudged on , that race could still be being decided today .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Oh yes he was,

Larry Perkins and Russell Ingall driving the #11 Castrol Commodore won the 1995 Tooheys 1000 in what was literally a last to first effort. Perkins clashed with the slow starting HRT Commodore of pole sitter Craig Lowndes before the first turn which pulled the valve out of a tyre forcing him to fall from third to last on the first lap before pitting to replace the tyre. The duo started to climb back up into contention, helped by cars ailing to go the race distance and Safety car periods including once after having just un-laped themselves and were back in the top 5 with 20 laps to go.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
gtxb67

no he wasn't
he was only a lap down on richards/skaife. he was never a lap down on seton/parsons, nor anyone else in the race
brock/richards were a lap down on johnson/french in 1980. using any criteria, perkins wasn't the first or only guy to do it

he was never last either. the mcleod commode dore failed to leave the line, so perkins was only ever 2nd last
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
no he wasn't
he was only a lap down on richards/skaife. he was never a lap down on seton/parsons, nor anyone else in the race
brock/richards were a lap down on johnson/french in 1980. using any criteria, perkins wasn't the first or only guy to do it

he was never last either (as others have suggested). the mcleod commode dore failed to leave the line, so perkins was only ever 2nd last

How pedantic do you want to get gtbx67. If McLoud never left the line then he never actually started the race if he couldn't pass the start line and if you are a lap down to the leader then you are a lap down. The fact you aren't a lap down to second place is irrelevant.

As for 1980, I'll give you that,..sort of, cos if I was to use your pedantic logic I could say Brock never re-passed Johnson to unlap himself, Johnson crashed out getting brock back on the lead lap.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 03-01-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How pedantic do you want to get gtbx67. If McLoud never left the line then he never actually started the race if he couldn't pass the start line and if you are a lap down to the leader then you are a lap down. The fact you aren't a lap down to second place is irrelevant.

Bushbasher
Exactly what I was thinking.

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
gtxb67

Quote:

Bushbasher
brock (for the same reason) failed to leave the line in 92, and they bent the rules to let him race. mcleod would have had the same chance, therefore he was pitting for repairs. pedantic yes, i agree but considering by the 4th lap or so. pace car perkins was then 3rd last, i try and not let a good story get in the way of facts

and brock was a lap down on johnson in 1980 and won, that means pace car perkins was not the first or only guy to do it. the fact is in both 80 and 95, the eventual winner was only ever a lap behind a car that dnf'd and "never" unlapped itself from any car in the race
Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #19
gtxb67

Quote:
As for 1980, I'll give you that,..sort of, cos if I was to use your pedantic logic I could say Brock never re-passed Johnson to unlap himself, Johnson crashed out getting brock back on the lead lap.

Bushbasher
good to see the edit was used

not pedantic logic, just facts. if brock was not the first guy to win from a lap down, neither was perkins. if perkins actually won from a lap down, then brock did too, but first - simple, not pedantic

there is already 2 falacies that never happened as they were reported in this thread. if you choose to believe the falacy, then that is your choice, but i will try and help the people who do not know and who might be interested in knowing the facts. just like seton, the 2nd nissan, and the 2 eggenberger sierra's were much more impressive than brock in 87. it is easy to look good when you are not fast - no matter what mike raymond tried telling everyone

being trackside without a beer, but with a stop watch tells so much more than the tv ever can
Old 03-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Current drivers my favourites are winterbottom and tander
I can't stand lowndes or whincup

Moffat would be probably my favourite in history, I love John bowe too. 1994 Bathurst fight between him and lowndes is incredible to watch

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #21
JamesFordFutura
QUEENSLANDER!

Sorry about all the grammar issues. I was using my iPhone at the time and it just either lagged or auto corrected the word.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

John Bowe.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Moffat , Johnson, Bowe ( still one of the best). The Eggenberger sierras were awesome and robbed by officialdom. Brock was in the process of buying BMWs from Frank Gardner, Gardner put in the protest . Those 3 sierras were never changed all weekend and only after the race were the protest put in and the rest as they say , is history . And no they never used illegal fuel , just another furphy to make their stealing victory from Ford look more credible . Which it never was.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #24
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Current - Mark Winterbottom
Personality - John Bowe
Favourite Racer - Marcos Ambrose

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Of course should never have forgotten Marcos the most determined driver i have ever seen since Alan George Moffat. Still owes that Pr**k Murphy payback and Ingall owes the tow truck his his one and only touring car championship , because without him he would never have got it.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

What is a "V8 supercharge drive"? Do you mean the current Supercar category which came into existence in late 1996? If that is the case I would nominate Marcos Ambrose.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
RAPID_BA
Banned

Hi

Sorry that my example is not actually a v8 supercar event but

Years back a day before bathurst they had the production car race. I think it was 2001 and a GTS 300 hsv came out alone and on a very wet day against the awd sti and evos. He was opposite locked every corner it seemed but he held it together all day to come out a winner. He was absolutely all over the shop drifting every corner. Just too much top end for the awd cars. Despite it being wet. Not sure who drove but best drive I'd ever seen.

Anyone got footage of this?

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 03-01-2012 at 04:38 PM.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
Hi

Sorry that my example is not actually a v8 supercar event but

Years back a day before bathurst they had the production car race. I think it was 2001 and a GTS 300 hsv came out alone and on a very wet day against the awd sti and evos. He was opposite locked every corner it seemed but he held it together all day to come out a winner. He was absolutely all over the shop drifting every corner. Just too much top end for the awd cars. Despite it being wet. Not sure who drove but best drive I'd ever seen.

Anyone got footage of this?
bathurst 12hr showroom classic with john bowe commentating i think class a, b, c, d ect ect
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Great question, hard to answer though as there are so many variables.

Theres been some great technical racers over the years who pushed the envelope in car setup, Perkins, Crompton, Seton, who all had time in the sun whilst often on a shoestring budget.

For pure car control you'd be hard to go past Brock, Richards, Lowndes, Whincup, Bowe. Guys that could carve out a win under trying conditions.

Then theres the peoples champs Johnson, Skaife, Murphy Ambrose .

I dont know, if i had to pick one it would have to be Brock just because he always managed to make a silk purse from a sows ear no matter how far the rule book got stretched.
And whatever gets the job done is the Aussie way
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
RAPID_BA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Great question, hard to answer though as there are so many variables.

Theres been some great technical racers over the years who pushed the envelope in car setup, Perkins, Crompton, Seton, who all had time in the sun whilst often on a shoestring budget.

For pure car control you'd be hard to go past Brock, Richards, Lowndes, Whincup, Bowe. Guys that could carve out a win under trying conditions.

Then theres the peoples champs Johnson, Skaife, Murphy Ambrose .

I dont know, if i had to pick one it would have to be Brock just because he always managed to make a silk purse from a sows ear no matter how far the rule book got stretched.
And whatever gets the job done is the Aussie way
didnt he drive three different cars one year? drove the third car for the last hundred km and claimed a bathurst title?

Didnt he also one year drive with no windscreen?

his interviews were epic. When he teamed up with skaife, he let skaife do the top 10 shootout. When interviewed he said skaife was very very very very very very very fast.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post