Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Who has seen a police chase.

Early hours of this morning, around 2ish I was coming up to some traffic, at Moonee Ponds Junction and a motor biked went through all the stopped cars. I then looked in my mirror and a cop car with full lights and siren goes around all the stopped cars (about 7 or so) and then through the red light.

The light then turned green about 10 seconds after the cop car went through. The traffic started to flow and all of a sudden another cop car comes up behind us and dodges all the cars. by the next set of lights the cop cars were gone.

In the morning around 10 I heard on the news police chased a motor bike.

Found the story on the Vic Police site.

Now my question is, who else has seen a police chase? I mean a real police chase and not on TV.

Please do not turn this thread into a police bashing thread. Just wants peoples story about the chases they have seen.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...nes-north.html

xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Who has seen a police chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Early hours of this morning, around 2ish I was coming up to some traffic, at Moonee Ponds Junction and a motor biked went through all the stopped cars. I then looked in my mirror and a cop car with full lights and siren goes around all the stopped cars (about 7 or so) and then through the red light.

The light then turned green about 10 seconds after the cop car went through. The traffic started to flow and all of a sudden another cop car comes up behind us and dodges all the cars. by the next set of lights the cop cars were gone.

In the morning around 10 I heard on the news police chased a motor bike.

Found the story on the Vic Police site.

Now my question is, who else has seen a police chase? I mean a real police chase and not on TV.

Please do not turn this thread into a police bashing thread. Just wants peoples story about the chases they have seen.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more...nes-north.html
On the Las Vegas freeway, a Silverado pick up came screaming past me, then a couple of Crown Vics flat biscuit,
I was doing 75 mph and they flew past me like I was standing still, must have been close to double the speed.
About 8-10 miles up the road, they had the truck pulled over and the driver in hand cuffs.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

South road at about 8pm (several years ago) had a red laser come flying onto it from grand junction and then fly past me and nearly collect a dopey driver who stayed in the right lane and didn't see the police sirens.

Got to the right hand sweeper before torrens road and the laser was into the guard rail and surrounded by marked and unmarked cars. I laughed. Idiot.
Old 17-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Yep, was out for a walk on a Monday night about 10ish a few years ago and there was an EF being chased by a couple of cop cars all around town, around residential streets. In fact I was nealy hit by the offending EF when I went to cross the road, amazingly I didnt hear it coming (it was travelling about 80km/h down the main street of town which is a 40 zone).

Chase lasted about 20 mins. As I walked I would spot the chase going on in different areas of town. One cop car stayed on him while the other hung back. Plus the chopper was out spotlighting it too so they were going to get him.

A car chase is nothing strange for the area I live in.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Kevaclone

working on the road I always see Police chases
Last one I saw was last year. Was a chase that started near Byron bay and ended up at Springwood in Brisbane, They passed me at the Cudgen Ck exit on the Pacific as the car shot off that exit, around the roundabout and back onto the pacific. Passed them at Springwood where the car was being loaded on a tilt tray. and the NSW HWP chased all the way to springwood.

Scariest was the semi trailer the Gympie police chased, passed me at Boondall and I watched as a Police car entered the gateway ahead of the truck only to be rammed off the road. it stopped at Eagle farm where it exited at the Links Av exit and rammed the rear of a loaded B/Double. B/Double driver just engaged the maxi brakes and got out while the clown in the semi tried to push it out of the way, no hope
99 5.8M Profish plate alloy carport decoration
Kevaclone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

I saw one about 2 years ago outside of uni (the first lap they flew past, the second time they crashed on a roundabout after having their front right tyre spiked). Turns out it was 2 x 15 year old males who held up a local pub, stole a GTR skyline and led cops on a wild chase around the suburb. They obviously lived close by and knew the area well cause they managed to escape.
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
KRL-94

living just 2.2K's from a main h'way, its not unusual to see a clubsport fly up the street at 200 odd K's and have a red and blue right behind him.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only full on chase I seen was when I was in grade 6 or 7.
At the back of our school there was a dead end street, which ended just meters from a major intersection.

School had just finished and we were all walking just out the gate when this small car comes screaming around the corner followed by an unmarked XD/XE dark blue falcon with a magnetic blue light on the side of the roof, siren blarring.

We all scattered like mad and watch as both cars head towards the end of the street, jump the gutter and just keep driving along the footpath and then through the intersection, just as we though it was over... a MINI comes screaming towards us, does a hand brake turn and goes down the other street which runs beside the other side of the school, im guessing he realised he wouldnt be able to jump the gutter! (cop was in uniform too).

No idea on the mini, if it was a personal car or an actual cop car, as it was the 1980s, had me wondering all these years.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
The only full on chase I seen was when I was in grade 6 or 7.
At the back of our school there was a dead end street, which ended just meters from a major intersection.

School had just finished and we were all walking just out the gate when this small car comes screaming around the corner followed by an unmarked XD/XE dark blue falcon with a magnetic blue light on the side of the roof, siren blarring.

We all scattered like mad and watch as both cars head towards the end of the street, jump the gutter and just keep driving along the footpath and then through the intersection, just as we though it was over... a MINI comes screaming towards us, does a hand brake turn and goes down the other street which runs beside the other side of the school, im guessing he realised he wouldnt be able to jump the gutter! (cop was in uniform too).

No idea on the mini, if it was a personal car or an actual cop car, as it was the 1980s, had me wondering all these years.
Contrary to the movies they don't use their private cars for Police duty they just are not allowed to

The Police have used minis for police vehicles over the years
WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back around 1970 when I was about 6yo we were heading back to Gyra from Armidale along the New England Hwy and my father was hooking in around some of the tight mountain bends(he had an XR falcon then) when he overtook a black mini on a double yellow line, Next thing we hear a siren, look behind and there is the little black mini with the copper pointing towards the side of the road.
DOH!!!
Old 18-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevaclone
Contrary to the movies they don't use their private cars for Police duty they just are not allowed to

The Police have used minis for police vehicles over the years
WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY back around 1970 when I was about 6yo we were heading back to Gyra from Armidale along the New England Hwy and my father was hooking in around some of the tight mountain bends(he had an XR falcon then) when he overtook a black mini on a double yellow line, Next thing we hear a siren, look behind and there is the little black mini with the copper pointing towards the side of the road.
DOH!!!
Ok.... tell me why in the 1990s I would see a walkinshaw commodore with a dinged up rear door as an unmarked police car?
I had seen a few very "2nd hand" unmarked police cars back in the 90s being used around Townsville by traffic branch and it was well known.
Unlike today where current model cars are used.
There must of been a "pool" of older cars then??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #11
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Ok.... tell me why in the 1990s I would see a walkinshaw commodore with a dinged up rear door as an unmarked police car?
I had seen a few very "2nd hand" unmarked police cars back in the 90s being used around Townsville by traffic branch and it was well known.
Unlike today where current model cars are used.
There must of been a "pool" of older cars then??
i have heard of the police hiring used cars from dealers for undercover jobs ?? not sure how true it is but might explain a few unusuall cars with cops that i`ve seen. like a unmarked WB statesman with a gutter mounted radar and uniformed officers.

back on topic...

in Maroochydore qld about `98 - `99 .
i was sitting out the front of my rent-a-house one night and could hear the sirens getting closer. next thing a EA falcon flys up the street with a couple of cop cars chasing it. only made it to the next intersection up the street (out of my sight) and the EA parked around a power pole. one of the occupants got away and was hiding in the yards while the police were looking for him. then i seen him going up the front steps to the house across the street. just then the police hilux turned up with there dog. i pionted to the house across the street and the dodgy dude took off and the dog chased him through a heap of back yards . but allsasion (spelling?) dogs are fitter and better at jumping fences then car thieves.
score 1 cop dog. score zero 2 young car theives, the driver was taken away in an ambo van.

another time but not really a chase.
we were just leaving the "all ford day at peter warren ford" in western sydney on fathers day 1984 and were waiting for the lights to change so we could cross the road when about a dozen ?? cop cars came flying up the street with lights and sirens and through the red light. several of them drove up the foot path to get through with everone jumping out of the way . had no idea what was going on but it was like some cene from the movies.
heard on the radio later on our way home about the Milperra Massacre .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:

Back in 1986 - 7, there was an XF Falcon in S.A with a 351 fitted. The copper used it as a bait car...ie baiting people to run it.

It was his own private car and he fitted the 351 to it, specifically for the job it was used for.

And yes we all know, coppers don't bait people. (bull cough cough crap)
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Kevaclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Back in 1986 - 7, there was an XF Falcon in S.A with a 351 fitted. The copper used it as a bait car...ie baiting people to run it.

It was his own private car and he fitted the 351 to it, specifically for the job it was used for.

And if he was involved in a crash where anyone was injured or worse he would no longer be a Copper and may even face criminal charges, and no insurance cover for any damage caused, that includes 3rd party personal liability
I doubt it was a private vehicle, but if it was his superiors had no knowledge of it
They are just not allowed to use their own private vehicle for Police duties for the above reasons and more. most of these "I heard about" are just baloney

Since many chases end in a crash, and having a scanner with me most of the time in my vehicles I usually know if there is a chase heading my way. Helps to know this when driving fuel tankers so you can get out of the way.
Old 18-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
And if he was involved in a crash where anyone was injured or worse he would no longer be a Copper and may even face criminal charges, and no insurance cover for any damage caused, that includes 3rd party personal liability
I doubt it was a private vehicle, but if it was his superiors had no knowledge of it
They are just not allowed to use their own private vehicle for Police duties for the above reasons and more. most of these "I heard about" are just baloney

I surpose you spoke to the copper that owned the XF? Think about how I'd know about the details of the car.

Oh and you should be fully aware what motors came out in XF's from the factory.

And it's also illegal for coppers to bait people into racing too. Didn't stop this copper from doing it and getting convictions for it. So you'd imagine the superiors would know about the car and it's intended purposes to secure them.
Old 20-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Quote:

Since many chases end in a crash, and having a scanner with me most of the time in my vehicles I usually know if there is a chase heading my way. Helps to know this when driving fuel tankers so you can get out of the way.
Years ago, Coburg police used an EH holden to bait the young blokes. It had a real hot red motor, triples, cam etc, lowered, chromies you get my drift. it was owned by one of their constables, who in later years became one of the vice squads leading figures. They have used private cars for years, this was in the 70's.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter

i call bs.........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
i call bs.........

Call it BS if you want, but the said car was roaming round your area back in the day. I spoke to the owner when I was working at McLeods, Salisbury. (Now a Bridgestone store).
Old 17-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I saw one back in December. Late at night an XR6 Turbo flew past on the wrong side of the road at the speed of sound, he was being pursued by an unmarked Camry. The Camry was definitely struggling.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Been far too close to two now.

1. Canberra Ave, AMG merc comes speeding past me, and runs a red, ~40 secs later popo in pursuit, I'd be surprised if they caught the guy being that far behind.

2. Somewhere in St. Marys, some bogandore speeding in opposite direction, 3 popo's in pursuit.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Goes to show, it's not just commodores involved in police chases. Seems to be the fair share of idiot Ford drivers trying their hand at our running the locals. (Oops...that wouldn't occur....just read this forum and they'll tell you Ford drivers are responsible people)

Yep, see a few chases. Worst one was a car came screaming down the street in the wet. There was an unusual bend in the road, which they lost it on...Straight into the tree, sideways. They survived and still got me buggered why they didn't run away, with him being pinned against the door with a tree.
Old 17-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does being chased by the cops on foot count as a chase?
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #22
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.
Does being chased by the cops on foot count as a chase?
How about being on a push bike being pursued by the mounted police? Happened to me in Centennial Park years ago.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Was walking home one night. Car comes around the corner, pulls into a driveway then shuts off. Moments later, a Tarago comes around blue light flashing on the dash, one cruiser and one Camry also i think it was.

If the guy drove into and down the driveway beside it he may have had a chance....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #24
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Was walking home one night. Car comes around the corner, pulls into a driveway then shuts off. Moments later, a Tarago comes around blue light flashing on the dash, one cruiser and one Camry also i think it was.

If the guy drove into and down the driveway beside it he may have had a chance....
almost pulled it off!!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #25
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

@ Tarago with blue light flashing on dash.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #26
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
@ Tarago with blue light flashing on dash.
Have to agree. Pretty funny.
Soccer mum on a mission.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
brydie76
Moff-fan

2 as well- one about 10 years ago in my local suburb- some idiot was robbing half the houses in the area, the cops started stakeouts and caught him. Kinda easy for them given there is only one feasible way to get in/out of my suburb by car/foot....
Second was was outside my school- kept seeing a green Commo go past and then about half a dozen cop cars following. Told everybody at the time it would be related to weapons and/or drugs, nobody believed me (said the school would have been in lockdown had that been the case). 6 months later in the papers- yup, guy jailed for drugs and having a loaded gun on the passengers seat. Kinda scary in hindsight...

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Was at my aunties place in Darlington (Singleton) and could hear the sirens going for a while. Next thing an EF falcon came sideways around the intersection off the highway and hammered past followed by a few cop cars. He done a loop of the circuit then came sideways out near my aunties again and back onto the highway. The old EF was copping the biggest flogging of its life. The sirens didnt last much longer after that.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #29
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Maybe not quite a pursuit, but staying in Adelaide one night at a hotel. Hear an almighty screech and see a fully marked Hilux fly by at warp speed, mount a median strip, get airborne and bounce a couple of times down the road. Copper must been in quite a rush.

Another one I've seen out in Melbourne's west was when I was riding in the school bus many years ago. Canary Yellow VL turbo in full flight past bus, clips in front and goes sideways around roundabout. Straightens up and flies out to the right like a slingshot. Out of sight in no time. Had some pretty good driving skills. VX SS pursuit car gets held up behind our bus as we approach roundabout.

Last edited by malazn mafia; 17-03-2012 at 11:39 PM.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
hawker

Seen a few, mostly going in the other direction. A car speeding, followed by a couple of cops cars or motorbikes. Also saw the aftermath of one a few weeks back.

Was driving into work along the Barton Highway (from Yass) and after I got past Hall and the big round-about in the ACT, I saw two police cars off the road with flashing lights. Then I saw a late model Holden Commodore into a tree (only front end damage, I don't think he hit too hard). The thing that made me wonder if it was a pursuit, is the fact, both Police cars were parked right up his **** (to stop him getting away). Confirmed the next day via a news source that it was a pursuit (although sounded like a short one).

Drink driver.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post