Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
VZSS250

Default BF XR8 price puts it out of market

The BF XR8 price has risen by $1,300 to more than $52K and now cannot compete with the VZ SSZ at $49,990. Meanwhile the SSZ comes fully equipped with leather, 18 inch alloys, premium brakes, sports binnacles and rear park sensors. Meanwhile, the XR8 is priced as a manual and asks for a further $1200 for the auto!

So we are expected to pay $1,300 extra for what? A new bumper? New seat fabric? Supposedly better fuel economy?

This is a disappointing move by Ford who have now officially given the budget performance game away and pushed the XR8 into the premium V8 sports sedan segment competing alongside the Calais and Fairmont Ghia.

Combined with a sluggish bottom end and a breathless top end as reported in Motor in the last couple of editions (admittedly these comments were about the FPV V8s, such as in the recent ute comparison) the XR8 is no longer an option for young boy racers seeking blistering V8 performance at a sub $50k price.

Ofcourse, people will talk about chassis balance and refinement, but performance weighs heavily on the minds of budget conscious performance buyers who want a car that can put down good track times, not preserve the weary bones of old men.

What do you guys think? Has Ford mistimed its price hike? Should they have at least provided a noticeable facelift? Should the price hike have been matched by a performance increase? Is the SSZ a better option? Will the BF be blown away by VE at this price?

Old 02-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZSS250
What do you guys think
I think it smells of a test drive taken from a magazine!

I also think your apples for oranges comparison may not stand up to comparison when you add the common accessories such as tow packs etc.

$1300 for an upgrade to the 6sp auto is a steal, I have not heard anything but praise from anyone who has had the bum in the seat of one, it is that much better than the previous 4 speed automatic and eons ahead of the bucket of clunks GM offer.

Some price rise is inevitable with new models, and the opposition will discount the begeezus out of what they have on offer as mid model stock. Try to get discounts from either manufacturer when a model is fresh and new.

As for your cap backward boy racers, odds on they have opted for XR6T do you seriously want to do a price / performance comparison with the blown 6's in the picture?

The BF XR8 remains excellent value, it more than holds it own as did its predecessor. And I think you should try to at least make it to the passenger seat of one when the revs get 3500 and honestly continue to believe the top end is breathless.

Will the BF be blown away by the VE on price? In a word, NO!

What do I think? I think ill informed and less than factual spoiler posts intended to incite flame wars are poor form indeed!
Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Ford do this. It amazes me as they are hurting themselves.

Remember ford don't have a marketing department and the reply on ripping the Ford fans who buy their cars.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 02-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
GT-E

If you think about what is now standard on the car, I think the price rise is acceptable.
The new included items are: DSC, side airbags and better brakes.
Adding $1200 for the 6 sp auto is a fair price.
You cannot compare a VZ SS with a XR8 as one is a antique (SS) when the other is a full EURO3 compliant 21st century car.
The only reason the gibbons at motor think its is breathless is that it does not have a 6lt PUSHROD V8 with a 20yo 4sp auto.
There seems to be a GMH fan club at some of the motoring magazines, who can never be happy with a Ford product, but will be thrilled with a substandard GMH product.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have heard it said that the boss is a bit wanting down low (i agree) but breatless up top? Every review I have read said it was a beast in the upper rev ranges.
Anyway, I you want to pay 2005 prices for a car that has a driveline that has not changed much in 10 years, go ahead. Lets see what the price of VE is, this will be interesting.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:26 AM   #6
VZSS250

This is not meant to incite a flame war, just a debate so be nice people. The price hike is an interesting move and should at least be questioned.

My opening post was a bit harsh, but I just wanted to make sure that the new price did not go unnoticed, as it has been.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
This is not meant to incite a flame war, just a debate so be nice people. The price hike is an interesting move and should at least be questioned.

My opening post was a bit harsh, but I just wanted to make sure that the new price did not go unnoticed, as it has been.
The prices are noticed! Your are talking to an audience many of who buy the things. You did not include one flattering thing about the new model. It's like claiming BAII was nothing more than Auto Headlamps.

The auto alone has more than a few 02,03,04 BA buyers considering an upgrade this can make a big difference to a saturated market and Falcon sales figures.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
This is not meant to incite a flame war, just a debate so be nice people.
They are trying....aren’t we guy's.. :

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

After driveing gecko........i had to peel my scalp off the head rest (hope i didnt stain it!)
and well the brakes on gecko..........gecko flat gecko not
Old 02-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The BF XR8 price has risen by $1,300 to more than $52K and now cannot compete with the VZ SSZ at $49,990. Meanwhile the SSZ comes fully equipped with leather, 18 inch alloys, premium brakes, sports binnacles and rear park sensors. Meanwhile, the XR8 is priced as a manual and asks for a further $1200 for the auto!

So we are expected to pay $1,300 extra for what? A new bumper? New seat fabric? Supposedly better fuel economy?

This is a disappointing move by Ford who have now officially given the budget performance game away and pushed the XR8 into the premium V8 sports sedan segment competing alongside the Calais and Fairmont Ghia.

Combined with a sluggish bottom end and a breathless top end as reported in Motor in the last couple of editions (admittedly these comments were about the FPV V8s, such as in the recent ute comparison) the XR8 is no longer an option for young boy racers seeking blistering V8 performance at a sub $50k price.

Ofcourse, people will talk about chassis balance and refinement, but performance weighs heavily on the minds of budget conscious performance buyers who want a car that can put down good track times, not preserve the weary bones of old men.

What do you guys think? Has Ford mistimed its price hike? Should they have at least provided a noticeable facelift? Should the price hike have been matched by a performance increase? Is the SSZ a better option? Will the BF be blown away by VE at this price?
Bizzare views....

Id rather see Ford responsibly pass on CPI type price rises where necessary than see them get into a price war to "buy" sales and go Broke like GM US are heading....
BFXR8 represents fantastic value, and if the extra's cost $1300 then so be it, $1300 represents roughly a 2.6% price rise, hardly unexpected in todays climate, inflation and the cost of manufacturing is ever increasing so prices can't stay still for ever.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

The Auto alone has a 2004 model Territory owner waiting for a rainy day. My Auto is stuffed, and from my drive of the SY, I am amazed with the transformation. As has been said, $1,300 is a steal.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #12
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Not much of a comparison really. I'd pay 10k more to own a falc over a bommadore. You're saying that it's not worth the price rise cause the new one isn't that much better than the old? You didn't take into account inflation or the fact that the Falcon is better than the commodore. Put a little more effort in next time.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Not much of a comparison really. I'd pay 10k more to own a falc over a bommadore. You're saying that it's not worth the price rise cause the new one isn't that much better than the old? You didn't take into account inflation or the fact that the Falcon is better than the commodore. Put a little more effort in next time.
Inflation :
Falcon better than the commodore is an opinion
Put a little more effort in next time? I thought the post was a good one!
If you would pay 10k more to own a Falcon, then your severely one eyed.

I would rather a SSZ than the new xr8, purely because the SSZ is a limited edition and has the easily modifiable LS1....now if they would only get a descent auto, they would be laughing :
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
Inflation :

I would rather a SSZ than the new xr8, purely because the SSZ is a limited edition and has the easily modifiable LS1....now if they would only get a descent auto, they would be laughing :
You are right to a degree about one eyed opinions. Although whether the a $10K price break either way is the differentiation is again an opinion and dependant on the buyer.

most are fairly open minded, you will always find a majority Ford preference here, that should be obvious. But at the same time you will find many of Ford's harshest critics are its loyal fan base.

Each vehicle has pluses & minuses, each will have its own fans.

If you are talking one-eyed the opening post was nothing if not totally biased and derogatory of the XR8, given the user name that is very inflammatory. If it had been worded differently the replies may not have been so harsh.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Inflation :
So in your world there is no such thing as a cost of living increase? what about petrol prices rising? are you imune from this too?

Old 02-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #16
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
So in your world there is no such thing as a cost of living increase? what about petrol prices rising? are you imune from this too?
I would not count inflation as an argument for for vs against in buying a Falcon, would you?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would not count inflation as an argument for for vs against in buying a Falcon, would you?
That doesnt make any sense, the discussion was about justifying the 2.6% rise in price for the new model....... not whether you should or shouldnt buy a Falcon.

Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Inflation :

And this limited edition will be limited to what number? Thats right, as many as they sell plus a few more. It is not limited, it is normal production, just been given a different name due to new series coming out. Mechanically the new falcon has more in terms of brakes and transmission by a long way, worth the extra price.

The SS will not be easily modifiable when it is euro3 compliant, if they do it. Remember, you are comparing a car that complies with the new rules with one that does not. Wait to the VE comes out and then do the gobbing off, if it has an 8!

I think this thread needs to be closed down as there is no way certain factions are going to be convinced. Let's just sit back a watch the sales talk! At the end of the day, who cares who thinks which car is better? My car is the best, when I get a new one, that one will be the best.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #19
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
And this limited edition will be limited to what number? Thats right, as many as they sell plus a few more. It is not limited, it is normal production, just been given a different name due to new series coming out. Mechanically the new falcon has more in terms of brakes and transmission by a long way, worth the extra price.

The SS will not be easily modifiable when it is euro3 compliant, if they do it. Remember, you are comparing a car that complies with the new rules with one that does not. Wait to the VE comes out and then do the gobbing off, if it has an 8!

I think this thread needs to be closed down as there is no way certain factions are going to be convinced. Let's just sit back a watch the sales talk! At the end of the day, who cares who thinks which car is better? My car is the best, when I get a new one, that one will be the best.

Read your 2nd paragraph. We are talking SSZ not SS. The SSZ is out now with the Ls1, so the euro3 compliance argument is out the window. As for the VE, who can fortune tell?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:20 PM   #20
jmc-007

Quote:
As for the VE, who can fortune tell?
Well looking at the VE eval cars from the Holden Employee's discount advert. It doesnt look much different to a VZ opps i mean VT :
Old 02-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
The gen3 is not compliant, we all know that, so what are they going to do, rip all the current gen3's out of cars that are running around with them? Im talking about ther here and now which is the BF XR8 and SSZ.
OK then I'll bite.

Quote:
Read your 2nd paragraph. We are talking SSZ not SS. The SSZ is out now with the Ls1, so the euro3 compliance argument is out the window. As for the VE, who can fortune tell?
Seems like you're inferring that the LS1 is compliant

Quote:
This is just opinion mate. I could rattle off some ford faults, but i wont stoop to your level because i respect ford vehicles for their plusses and minuses
Hmmm. As for the opinion thing it is an opinion shared by a large proportion of the members of this forum. (check the title and tell me where the holden name is). I admire your objectivity in the matter though by not listing Ford's faults because you would know. You told us.

Quote:
As for the Boss i wouldnt know. I dont pretend to know.
Quote:
Im not even going to answer your last statement because its just a holden attack. Come back to me with something useful, not deragatory.
Ahh, the moral high ground. After insinuating that we are "one eye", yet we are all expected to sit here and take your subtle jibes at Ford. To use your vernacular; "check your post".
I have noticed that in most if not all posts you are in, you are espousing Holden propoganda under the guise that "I like both cars", yet you have never actually said anything positive about ford or their new models or their technology have you. It's always been a subtle little jab here, dig there at ford and in any poll at any cost choose Holden.

Kim Beazley lost the 2001 election because he sat on the fence and tried to have it both ways on asylum seekers; so I ask you, as the owner of a Holden who constantly reminds us that you like both brands yet regularly choose holden; what side of the fence do you sit on? To me and others it seems you're really an antagonising Holden fan, playing both sides against eachother yet careful and subtle enough to not overstep the line.

I realise that you quite rightfully can accuse me of espousing Ford propoganda, but again I ask you to look in your address bar and note the name. These forums are Ford's turf. We don't join holden forums, create misleading posts and put the boot in there to annoy people, we discuss things here.

And by the way I am not a Ford only person. I am a never again Holden person who saw the light.

Quote: