Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Best drag racing tyres?

Hi all

Im looking to buy some semi slicks in the next month or so. Just wondering what are the best brands, how much do they cost (estimating around $500 a pair???), do you need to buy steelies, and if so what size, and where best to get them from in Melbourne???

Thanks

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By saying semi slicks I gather you mean drag radials? Mickey Thompson do some and M&H also do some in various sizes. Once you figure out what size tyre you can fit or want to run? Then look at the data for that tyre. It'll have a rim size listing that tells you what you can use rim wise. M&H ones have deeper tread and better tread than the MT's. Meaning? On the street your more than likely to get away with using them on the street.

MT (radial)

Sizes and other data can be found here

M&H (radials)

Sizes and data are found here

From what I hear? George Haddad does the cheapest MT's. Some of the members here could possibly help you out there? Otherwise Superplus do the M&H radials.

I used to own what is known as semi slicks but they weren't radial tyres. A semi slick has softwalls and some grooves. A full slick is the same tyre without grooves. I had 26*10.5*16's they cost me around $320ea at the time 2003 from memory. The same tyres still cost around the same sort of $. For them you needed to run a 16*8" rim minimum. Optimal was 16*9 from memory.

MT ET Street (crossply)

Sizes and data can be found here

M&H also do grooved slicks

http://www.intercotire.com/site23.php

I'd budget somewhere between $600-$1000 for rears inc rims to suit.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
By saying semi slicks I gather you mean drag radials? Mickey Thompson do some and M&H also do some in various sizes. Once you figure out what size tyre you can fit or want to run? Then look at the data for that tyre. It'll have a rim size listing that tells you what you can use rim wise. M&H ones have deeper tread and better tread than the MT's. Meaning? On the street your more than likely to get away with using them on the street.

MT (radial)

Sizes and other data can be found here

M&H (radials)

Sizes and data are found here

From what I hear? George Haddad does the cheapest MT's. Some of the members here could possibly help you out there? Otherwise Superplus do the M&H radials.

I used to own what is known as semi slicks but they weren't radial tyres. A semi slick has softwalls and some grooves. A full slick is the same tyre without grooves. I had 26*10.5*16's they cost me around $320ea at the time 2003 from memory. The same tyres still cost around the same sort of $. For them you needed to run a 16*8" rim minimum. Optimal was 16*9 from memory.

MT ET Street (crossply)

Sizes and data can be found here

M&H also do grooved slicks

http://www.intercotire.com/site23.php

I'd budget somewhere between $600-$1000 for rears inc rims to suit.
Cheers for all of that, thanks heaps mate!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Cheers for all of that, thanks heaps mate!
Your welcome.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

BFG also made make drag a radial but i wouldn't recommend them, i will try one of the above for my next set, depending on available sizes i like those M&H radials.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 09-02-2007 at 07:16 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
BlackBa

Ive got a pair of M@H racemasters that are just about juicey fruited but some one can have for zilch if u need to try. Couple of runs left in them. Sized 26x10x15. Call me on 0417017799
BlackBa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBa
Ive got a pair of M@H racemasters that are just about juicey fruited but some one can have for zilch if u need to try. Couple of runs left in them. Sized 26x10x15. Call me on 0417017799
I tried to do the same with my 26*10.5*16's but on Thurs 1st they went in the bin. Would have been perfect for a lower power app than mine. Hopefully some one takes you up on the offer. They'd be good for someone who doesn't plan to run more than once or twice a year.

Old 15-02-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBa
i'm a retard, i should read before i post
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ran 245/14 M&H Racemaster treaded tyres on my Capri years ago, they were pretty good value then not sure on price now. Mate has done a fair bit of gear through Haddads and reckons he is the cheapest for slicks, if you want some drop me a pm and I`ll get him to get a price might work out a bit cheaper.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Thanks Brenden,i hadn't seen those M+H's before. They look good.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
XRchic
Hello

Cheers guys! Id love to try those nearly shagged ones of BlackBa but Im in Adelaide unfortunately and as everyone knows, there is no track here!!!

Old 15-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #12
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

BF Goodrich g-force Drag Radials are the way to go the Americans are running 7 second 180mph plus 1/4 miles on these treade street tyres. I am not sure what size wheels you have but they have quite a range, starting from 205/50/14 up to 345/30/18. if you have 18's they have a 245/40/18 this would be a perfect tyre for both street and strip. the Australian distridutors website is (www.tracktyres.com.au). or go to (www.bfgoodrich.com) then go to tyre locator and you will find this tyre and it will tell you all about it. Aussie website will give you prices.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
BF Goodrich g-force Drag Radials are the way to go the Americans are running 7 second 180mph plus 1/4 miles on these treade street tyres. I am not sure what size wheels you have but they have quite a range, starting from 205/50/14 up to 345/30/18. if you have 18's they have a 245/40/18 this would be a perfect tyre for both street and strip. the Australian distridutors website is (www.tracktyres.com.au). or go to (www.bfgoodrich.com) then go to tyre locator and you will find this tyre and it will tell you all about it. Aussie website will give you prices.
Yes we use them , must admit a bit pricy, but an excellent tyre..Cut our 0/60 down.. And TS overall..
Old 16-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #14
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i'm trying to hunt down some yoko advans A048 in 225/50/16 meant to be around $190us
or falken azenis RT-615 225/50/16 at around $120us
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #15
Mr. CVE
If it aint Blown it Sucks

Mickey T's Street Radials I believe are the best tyre for the money. I have cars running 9's on em.
320 rwkw, 810 nm torque, 280rwkw @3000 rpm !! :thebirds:
Now for sale
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11296772

Thanks to Snort Performance, Headsex and CVE
Street car DeTomaso Pantera
Drag car 1995 Mustang, Haleys Comet ( It's back !)
Power by CVE
Melbourne's first SNIPER Tuner :
Now tuning E series
Mr. CVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #16
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8capri
Mickey T's Street Radials I believe are the best tyre for the money. I have cars running 9's on em.
M/T's do not meet Australian ADR's, regardless if they are DOT approved.
Toyo proxies are probably the best ADR'd street legal tyre available.
Old 16-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
I'm guessing they wouldn't last too long driving on them every day as they would be a soft compound tyre. Yes/No? The Toyo proxies are a reasonable price.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
I'm guessing they wouldn't last too long driving on them every day as they would be a soft compound tyre. Yes/No? The Toyo proxies are a reasonable price.
Hi Doug I use these, they have many good points there a very soft tyre used and they also come in street friendly tyre sizes like 245/45/18 and 235/45/17.
To use as a every day tyre would be very expensive because of the soft rubber they wear very quickly and there priced between $400 to $490ea for the 18'' depends who you get them off is what price you pay.
For track use I have had mine for over one year now, still plenty of rubber left to play..
link to more info:
http://www.toyo.com.au/RA-1%20Page.htm

Also the Proxes888 looks an interesting tyre.
http://www.toyo.com.au/Proxes%20R888%20Page.htm

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
Chris
AFF.com.au

Jac,

a race tyre should be BARELY adequate for a launch. When you finish the 60ft part of the run, running a tyre too big will COST you power.

Its like running with "big" shoes. The bigger they are they might grip and be comfy, but they will be heavy and consume more energy to turn.

Chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #20
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Also the Proxes888 looks an interesting tyre.
http://www.toyo.com.au/Proxes%20R888%20Page.htm
888's are great for circuit / motorkhana events, but not for drag racing. The RA-1's are better suited to drag racing.

Do you run the RA-1's or the T1- series?
Old 17-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #21
Brothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Us Dot aproval on the side wall of a tyre is legal to use for Aust ADR . the US DOT is the same engineering as Australian ADR same as JATMA thats the Japanese Tyre standards. These standards are part of a trade and information agreement. along with the standards used in europe 'that figure is a circle and "E1" within the circle', can be found on any michelin.

Check out the 'Australian tyre and rim Manufactures Manuel.' This book is used by all Tyre manufactures and resellers in this country.

glen
Brothers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothers
Us Dot aproval on the side wall of a tyre is legal to use for Aust ADR . the US DOT is the same engineering as Australian ADR same as JATMA thats the Japanese Tyre standards. These standards are part of a trade and information agreement. along with the standards used in europe 'that figure is a circle and "E1" within the circle', can be found on any michelin.

Check out the 'Australian tyre and rim Manufactures Manuel.' This book is used by all Tyre manufactures and resellers in this country.

glen
Not legal at all in Vic due to either no load or speed rating, not sure of other states stand on them

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 12:26 PM   #23
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothers

glen
Nah it aint in Vic. If it was I could have used my DOT'd tyres pictred below. Thay ain't street legal in Vic ;)

Old 17-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #24
protd
TUFF FORDS

they aint street legal in qld either, i got pinned for using them..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #25
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

M/T drag radials and M/T streets maybe getting confused here.
Drag radial has a stiffer wall than the ET Streets, I wouldn't use a ET street on the road.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 06:20 PM   #26
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

My mate who is a licenced RWC tester showed the street radials to a Vic Roads tech and he said they are not RWC and based it on the the lack of speed/load rating information on the tyre. It could open up a bigger market for M/T if they put this info on their tyres

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #27
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I ran the Ra1's and have the R888,the RA1 heats up alot quicker,I havent tried the softest 888 just the intermediate,I cant see them being as soft as the RA1 though,and thus not as good for drag racing,the RA1 is a wet weather circuit tyre primarily,I get 4 good laps on the circuit with them till they start squeeling,the 888's take a lap or two to get on song and hold on longer,I have run as quick a 60' at WSID with the 245/55/16 RA1 as I have run with the 235/60/15 M/T ET street.
Thats doing good in my book for a legal road tyre..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
235/60/15 M/T ET street.
How much were they?

edit: woops, they wont fit - need 16s.

Old 18-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #29
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
How much were they?

edit: woops, they wont fit - need 16s.
If you go with the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 proxes you wont be dissapointed,the 225/15's cost $250 each,the 245/16 are more expensive,from memory still under $300 but its been a while since I bought the 16's...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
If you go with the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 proxes you wont be dissapointed,the 225/15's cost $250 each,the 245/16 are more expensive,from memory still under $300 but its been a while since I bought the 16's...
So to fit those on 16 inch rims, I would need XR 16s or something... at least for the 245s anyway...