Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #11
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 
Default Re: Are We Being Too Harsh And Critial Of Ford Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I sometimes wonder if we bash Ford when they are actually doing the right thing:
1) Canceling XR8......about 800 sedans in 2009 and 300 odd in 2010
2) Slowing the line down and reducing staff to right size the Factory
3) Waiting to get EcoLPI ready for production and not releasing a "problem child".
1. Not having the XR8 replacement ready was the wrong thing. Those sales lost represent about 5% of production. Be handy right now. Between the I6T and the V8 they should be accounting for 20% of total sales. Marketing and having the product available needs to fix that. Was it you that said, get the Mustang GT and Falcon XR8 next to each other at the motorshow. "Falcon with Mustang HEART".

2. Right thing to do, but timing is everything. This should have been done in January. Right now, it gives the impression, that the new EcoLPi and SZ erri with diesel isn't going to lift sales. They will, but we live in a very superficial world where perception is reality. If they put the premium sound on the XR6 and it's colour screen, ipod connectivity, plus 18" alloys the XR6 would be even more competitive. I think VE2 with it's touch screen tech update and 18" alloys has really caught Ford out. Real shame as the XR6 is the better car.

3. EcoLPi. Fully developing it deserves praise. Credit that it has been pulled as far forward as it can be does too. But due to the I6 >V6 > I6 flipflop it is way late. Needs to be marketed hard to overcome LPG prejudices.

Quote:
From what we're told Ford's engineering team is being kept on the hop with lots of work, I think we should be glad that they are given constant work compared to the very cyclical nature of just a few years ago when work ebbed and flowed depending on the local vehicle product cycle and scheduled upgrades.
Great to see the engineering side are busy indeed. Hugely busy it seems! One Ford and the technology systems / drivers is really helping in this regard as they contribute information to the Ford design 'vault' as i've heard it referred to.

Quote:
Sure the factory is running along much slower these day but the fact that Ford is still persevering with the local product says that the brass must be impressed with how FoA is controlling costs and squeezing every dollar.

If FoA can get through these tight couple of months, I'd expect Territory and EcoLPI will set them up for increased production levels in the second half of the year..
Right now is tight at the factory. Too tight. SZ Territory and EcoLPi should / will contribute to increased volume, but FG2 can't come soon enough. Hopefully September / October.

I'm sure the brass is impressed with FoA squeezing the dollars, but that can go too far. As per the tech/wheels on the FG. Small additions would cost Ford an extra 300-500 per car. But they wouldn't have to drop the driveaway price by $1000 and be selling less cars.

Same with the SZ Territory. The interior looks terrific and functional. They you see the TX has the monochrome ICC which is very ordinary. It's a 40k car. WHY oh why? They should have used the FG premium ICC screen as the base TX and the new UNREAL touchscreen for the TS/Titanium as they have done. So, 2 out of 3.

One Ford means the cars will have segment leading fuel economy and technology as well as maintaining best in class ride / handling. This will take time, but the rapid rise of the imported Ford product sales is the start. Falcon and Territory need the same sales and marketing impetus with none of the 'shortchanging'.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post