Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
While we are talking about bike weights I think it is important to point out for those that are new to the game that weight is not everything.
Look at my two most recent bikes. The first was my old Monoc TC2 Compact built with durace and campag wheels. This bike was a relative feather weight at 6.8kgs with pedals and cages. My new bike is a Eddy Merckx 1XM that is actually built with all the components off the Monoc, so only the frame, fork and seat post are new. The Merckx is 400gms heavier at 7.2kgs.

Even though the Merckx is heavier, the frame (full carbon) has more lateral stiffness but more vertical compliance than the old Monoc (7000 series aluminium with carbon fork and seat stays). This makes the Merckx a much nicer and more comfortable bike to ride which despite the weight penalty still climbs and rides just as fast, if not faster than the old Monoc frame.
This.

My old track bike (alloy) with Velocity Deep V wheels was just under 7.8kg... with the heavy Velocity B43's it pushed it up over 8.... which was ok for a street beater.

The pursuit bike is just on 8 again with with the Velocity B43's, heavy saddle, straps + cages etc.

But i can throw it around like it weighs 5 kilos!!!

Can't wait to get something a bit lighter though ha ha ha ha