Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
blk6t

Default Almost Almost A Decade Old, Time Flies When Your Fast

Well the XR6 Turbo will be 10 years old next year, it is a car that certainly won the hearts of many Ford Fans and re-positioned Ford's Falcon as serious performance car when compared to the darkside, and most other cars on the street at the time.

The Falcon seemed to trail behind Holden's Gen3 V8 prior to the XR6 Turbo being released, then as we know during 2002 all hell broke loose. The XR6 Turbo was made available to the public and from memory was only 10kw -20kw shy of the HSV's Clubsport range, however the torque came on alot harder and alot earlier. The XR6 Turbo was in the league of HSV's, not the SS and fair to say for the last 10 years the XR6 Turbo has always held its own against HSV's offerings.

I remember seeing the first of the XR6 Turbo's driving around the streets, lots of blueprint, citric acid and blood orange boosted Falcon's. A guy at my work got one of the first available, blueprint, 5 speed, leather etc, this was my first ride in a XR6 Turbo, he gave it a boot in second at low revs, the engine quickly boosted up and the surge was amazing. That ride had a massive impact on me and I quickly purchased a 2003 black XR6 Turbo ute with all the trimmings, I loved that ute. I think I washed it every Saturday without fail.

Of course the XR6 Turbo had its doubters from the Holden camp and even the hardcore Ford V8 owners. But then the aftermarket scene came about which began to show us Ford Fans and the rest of the Aussie Car World what this boosted 6 is really capable of, if you read back through some old threads, people were so excited with getting 300rwkw, from a average of around 190rwkw stock. Then as the R&D advanced we began to see the 350rwkw, 400rwkw and more.

The BA Mk2 gave us a first look at the F6 Typhoon, which quickly became the bigger bad brother. The F6 Typhoon is a car that FPV said would stand out a mile away, and that it did and still does. Of course the F6 did have it's initial problems, the clutch issue that plagued the release of this hero car, but that soon dissapeared once people got a taste of what it had to offer...Unbeatable performance, big stoppers all wrapped up in one mean bodykit!

Back in 2005, I wanted a Typhoon badly, couldn't afford one so I sold my turbo ute and purchased a Silver BA Mk2 XR6 Turbo sedan with the 6 speed manual. One of my favourite cars I have ever owned, actually I still miss it today. I kept that car for 6 years, trouble free and pushing out a nice torquey 300rwkw.

I am sure most on here have owned a XR6 Turbo appreciate what it offers, I started this thread to see what memories you all have of the XR6 Turbo and what impact this car has had on you?

The XR6 Turbo has been around for almost 10 years but i'm sure it will live on in the garages of many for decades to come. Hearing a boosted 6 driving past is a sound that grabs the attention many Falcon fans...

Maybe Ford will release a 10 yr Anniversary Special....