Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 20th anniversary return of V8 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez104
Yet everyone still thinks of them as Holdens.
Yeh but some people think that AFL is football too.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I can't believe the rubbish about FPV isn't Ford etc...

Um - who makes and assembles the actual car (not the driveline)??

FPV and Ford are one and the same... and without Ford - you have no FPV... (though interestingly - without FPV - you still have Ford)
Does that mean without FPV you would not have V8 option either??? I think that this is the point that many are trying to make or at least that's what it seems to me!

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #33
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All this current talk about no V8 ford is so dumb!!! Ford has just realeased the best V8 on the market!! For god sake people, get a grip!! Enjoy the current V8!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
For god sake people, get a grip!! Enjoy the current V8!!
Fair point.

IMO, FPV are to be applauded for the investment they made in the 5.0L considering current sales volumes.

OTOH, Ford Aus should not. They've dropped the V8 as an option across the range, they dropped the XR8, and they had nothing to do with the 5.4L's replacement.

If anyone's to be celebrated, its FPV for keeping the faith (IMO).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #35
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Yet everyone still thinks of them as Holdens.
Because essentially they are...

Take the holden components away from a HSV - and what do you have??

Same goes for FPV... Without Ford - your 335 coyote is still sitting in the crate...

Bravo...
Old 07-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #36
davez104
Landau = GT with the lot!

Hey, you don't have to tell me that. But there's a lot of people here whinging that Ford don't have a V8 because they see FPV as 'not Ford', got me buggered, I see them as Ford and HSV as Holden.
davez104 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Thanks Ford for the re-introduction of the V8 which allows us to celebrate this milestone.
FPV/Ford to me is one and the same. You still need to go to a Ford dealer to buy one.
As far as surplus XR8's, If that's true , I'd love to be able to afford one!!!!
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #38
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden sells cars because their supporters will go and buy the cars regardless of bad press, and past experiences.

Ford supporters seem to do nothing other than whinge and ***** and p155 and moan about every frivoulous peice of crap, from a badge, to marketing, to colours, to option lists, to the marketing department, and every other stupid thing they can think of.

Then they start 27,000 threads about it and warn other potential buyers from buying Fords. Holden doesn't need to raise bad publicity about Ford. AFF does it all for them.

Pathetic.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #39
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't driven the new 5.0, but from what I know, the AUIII 5.6lt was the best V8 they've ever done.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Hey, you don't have to tell me that. But there's a lot of people here whinging that Ford don't have a V8 because they see FPV as 'not Ford', got me buggered, I see them as Ford and HSV as Holden.
Not so many people, just a troll.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #41
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

RESURRECTION - Thank you for bringing it to my attention anyhow (laugh out loud)

Well i own a EB XR8 which hasnt been tickford enhanced and also this would make it my second purchase of owning a 5.0l Ford Falcon

A big happy 20 years of v8 muscle Ford!!!!

Howard Marsden -They were at time rated supposedly as the fastest 4 door production car in the world.

Bill Bourke - Part of the GT that changed the auto industry of australia, i would say one word, exciting it added excitement to the industry.

-GTHO P3
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #42
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The 20th anniversary date approaches. I believe the EB model was released for sale during August 1991. Can anybody confirm this?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #43
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is fpv not ford? :S
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZHLANE
How is fpv not ford? :S

FPV is 51% owned by prodrive and 49% owned by ford.
Old 29-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #45
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just cause tickford touched it doesnt make it a performance car, my XH ute had factory gas fitted by...............tickford.

FPV, last time i looked stood for FORD performance vehicles.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 02:22 AM   #46
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

what the hell?, so, when some of you see a FPV, do you say to yourselves " nope,not a ford "

Maybe in the v8 supercars we can have ford vs fpv, sort this epic battle once and for all since both are so different.
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #47
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Surely you are not saying the I6 was a performance model but the V8 wasn't......
Considering the XR6 was quicker...

I had a factory 5 speed manual EA Fairmont Ghia as well. Great car!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 07:34 AM   #48
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be really interested in knowing if there was any real loss to the company from dropping the V8...and by "real" I mean something that would make the board grab thier chest and scream "Holy crapola we're going down the gurgler...get that V8 production line started again or we'll be bankrupt by the end of the year!!!"

I recall the outcry, the massive hair-tearing and teeth gnashing, that accompianied the dropping of the V8 from the range back in what? 1985?
There were predictions in street car magazines that it would spell the doom of the Falcon, it would kill Fords participation in motor sport, it would mean people who towed things would now have massive horse floats and big boats sitting idle in the front yard, we'll all be dooooooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

Yet, to face reality, 95% of people who "tow big loads"...truly big loads (and sometimes not-so-big loads)...buy a four wheel drive, and did back then too. The number of people prepared to stump up for a V8 were small...and still are small. Not really enough to worry about in a marketing sense. To be blunt, a small number of enthusiast magazines and groups of spotty 18 year olds with rusty Toyota Corollas with mags, complaining about the unavailability of a car they would never be able to afford anyway, doesn't really matter in the big picture.

I think now, as back then in the eighties, people like the idea of a Falcon V8...but as for actually buying one, well, let's just say that back then a V8 was a far more common choice of engine for ordinary drivers than it is now, and the company didn't die off or stop going into motor sport, did it?

A smallish number (in relative terms compared to actual buyers) of enthusiasts, many of whom have never and will never buy a V8 brand new of the showroom floor, can't expect a company to keep an uneconomic part of the business.

Ford survived perfectly well...and the Falcon still sold like gangbusters...without a V8 in the range before. No reason it won't now.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 30-04-2011 at 08:01 AM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #49
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: 20th anniversary return of V8 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
just cause tickford touched it doesnt make it a performance car, my XH ute had factory gas fitted by...............tickford.

FPV, last time i looked stood for FORD performance vehicles.
Err mash, did the car have the Tickford "Wings" on it ? Only cars that had the "full" treatment by Tickford earnt the right to carry the wings.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #50
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: 20th anniversary return of V8 engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I'd be really interested in knowing if there was any real loss to the company from dropping the V8...and by "real" I mean something that would make the board grab thier chest and scream "Holy crapola we're going down the gurgler...get that V8 production line started again or we'll be bankrupt by the end of the year!!!"

I recall the outcry, the massive hair-tearing and teeth gnashing, that accompianied the dropping of the V8 from the range back in what? 1985?
There were predictions in street car magazines that it would spell the doom of the Falcon, it would kill Fords participation in motor sport, it would mean people who towed things would now have massive horse floats and big boats sitting idle in the front yard, we'll all be dooooooooooooooomed!!!!!!!

Yet, to face reality, 95% of people who "tow big loads"...truly big loads (and sometimes not-so-big loads)...buy a four wheel drive, and did back then too. The number of people prepared to stump up for a V8 were small...and still are small. Not really enough to worry about in a marketing sense. To be blunt, a small number of enthusiast magazines and groups of spotty 18 year olds with rusty Toyota Corollas with mags, complaining about the unavailability of a car they would never be able to afford anyway, doesn't really matter in the big picture.

I think now, as back then in the eighties, people like the idea of a Falcon V8...but as for actually buying one, well, let's just say that back then a V8 was a far more common choice of engine for ordinary drivers than it is now, and the company didn't die off or stop going into motor sport, did it?

A smallish number (in relative terms compared to actual buyers) of enthusiasts, many of whom have never and will never buy a V8 brand new of the showroom floor, can't expect a company to keep an uneconomic part of the business.

Ford survived perfectly well...and the Falcon still sold like gangbusters...without a V8 in the range before. No reason it won't now.
Some good points in your discussion, but I'll recall what the late great Mr Polities stated " when we dropped the v8, we lost our DNA" .People who purchased v8's for whatever reason, then turned to the other mob, for their v8 fix.We were then watching v8 Mustangs & Seirra's race against the other mob. The return of the v8 in the EB series of cars, was a breath of fresh air to a stale Ford market. Yes, we should be celebrating the return of the v8 in the EB. After all, it was our first fuel injected v8.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #51
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
The 20th anniversary date approaches. I believe the EB model was released for sale during August 1991. Can anybody confirm this?
I am fairly sure it is July or August, mine is August build with sunroof and manual
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #52
LUXO_8
windsor user

my NC is 7/91, factory 5.0 car
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #53
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I still have the EB S EXR8 I bought in Sept 91..
Sheesh ! I better wash and polish her...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post