Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Should these things be allowed in built up areas, such as cities & suburbs?
Yes. 57 32.95%
No. 68 39.31%
If prime movers, tractors, etc. are allowed, so can these. 25 14.45%
Suburbs only. 3 1.73%
Who cares. 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 21-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #61
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This thread is discriminatory and reeks of envy.
Old 21-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #62
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you cant drive a 4X4 safely anywhere, then you shouldnt be allowed to drive anything!
Old 21-12-2005, 09:57 PM   #63
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as a long distance driver in my book there are more dangerouse penis heads out there in cars than scrubbers, however it would be nice if people towing trailers, cars and 4wd vehicles had some actual training in this area , and one thing in particular should be more emphasis on is overtaking skills(if in doubt dont), my only gripe with 4wd vehicles is the shape and protrusion of some bullbars, some are fine others are sort of wedge shaped and stick out way too far and are not safe
Old 21-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #64
awsome4.0
Banned

Stop worrying about 4X4s cause the bird flu will get us all
Old 21-12-2005, 10:37 PM   #65
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
This thread is discriminatory and reeks of envy.

Nah, I'm not envious of a Landcruiser and I can't see any discrimination here.

Guy's, don't take peoples opinions so seriously.

We're in the pub aren't we?

When I go to the Pub with my mates we talk about stuff we see and have some fun disagreeing on some topics & agreeing with others, when we're finished we don't leave calling each other names.

If you don't agree with someone give your side of the story, don't try and shut everything down just because it's not to your liking.

If there is any discrimination it's coming from the people that give nothing to the thread except name calling.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
Old 21-12-2005, 11:06 PM   #66
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Nah, I'm not envious of a Landcruiser and I can't see any discrimination here.

Guy's, don't take peoples opinions so seriously.

We're in the pub aren't we?

When I go to the Pub with my mates we talk about stuff we see and have some fun disagreeing on some topics & agreeing with others, when we're finished we don't leave calling each other names.

If you don't agree with someone give your side of the story, don't try and shut everything down just because it's not to your liking.

If there is any discrimination it's coming from the people that give nothing to the thread except name calling.
Couldn't have said it better!
I guess one possible contributing factor to the atmosphere is that this pub is low on women and grog!!! :hihi:
Old 21-12-2005, 11:07 PM   #67
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Jonydep i gave my opinion just as everyone else did, i chose not to single anyone out any of the rediculous comments as they have right of reply, as do i whether you agree with it or not.
Old 22-12-2005, 01:15 AM   #68
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

I'm also of the opinion that 4x4 drivers should have their own licence. Perhaps something like a 'Light Recreational' licence. Make it cost something like an extra $50 or $100, and have extra testing on it, and a more critical practical exam (current Victorian practical exams are pretty pathetic in any case). $50 - $100 is a small premium to pay to drive a 4x4, and if truck drivers need a special licence, then 4x4 owners should too. For proper 4x4 enthusiasts, extra testing wouldn't be a problem, but it would weed out some of the absolute dropkicks that do drive them around the suburbs.

In any case, i'm just thinking out loud, but something like that would surely be somewhat feasable?
Old 22-12-2005, 02:38 AM   #69
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

its the soccer mothers in the stock 4wd, the modded oned are driven by people who know how to drive them, or there just tools. but i think they should have to get a special licence to drive them, stops mothers gettting them and maby they can get a SW insted
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 22-12-2005, 03:03 AM   #70
EL-XRAN
Xranmobile

Nothing wrong with having a jacked up 4x4. Their passion is getting out in the bush, getting dirty and doing some exteme 4-wheel driving. Other peoples passion is having a nice low car that looks sweet, goes hard and has a killer sound stage in it. They have just as much right to have a jacked up car as what anyone else on this forum has to lower theirs. Admittedly, yeah...getting slammed by one of those would be deadly...but if you got slammed by anything doing 80clicks it would still be deadly. It's like trying to outlaw the 5-posters in the city. They have every right to want to protect their car from stock and wildlife straying onto roads. Everyone has their reason for having them. However if it's just being driven in the city and doesnt see any off-road action then the guy driving it is more than likely compensating for something anyway...

>Monty the Customised Fairmont<
>Elektra the Lightning-strike Pursuit 250 Ute<
Old 22-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #71
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS99 Ute man
You need a hobby. Like seriously there a so many things that a potentially dangerous, lets all just stay indoors and not leave the house at all
Why is it that everyone is trying to idiot proof the world???
I'm with you mate, we should just all wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and eliminate every sharp object in the world. :
Old 22-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #72
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they should be banned...as much as I hate them, its still a free country last time i checked.

But I do think you should need a special license for a large 4WD and they should also be taxed higher due to their weight and space they take up on the road - trucks do, these things arn't far off.

But in the end its all personal choice, if you want to drive a vehicle that large in the city, which is hard to park, uses a e load of fuel, has the driving dynamics of a boat and 90% of the population think you have a small d$%k then go for it, no ones going to stop you... :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 22-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #73
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Big 4WDs like that are just ugly pigs that should be taxed out of existence.
Amen.

Had a mate who was T boned by one of these troglodite morons who went through a red light.
There was a reason I said HAD a mate, as he is no longer with us thanks to some foll with an inferiority complex and a 2 inch pecker - requiring such an oversized vehicle.

Problems are not just with the size of the vehicle, but the insular effect it offers the drivers which unfortunately turn to arrogance and plain stupidity. As the roads get busier this is the last thing we need, and the fact that in a side impact these vehicles are basically crushing one of the weakest points on a cars' chassis means that they do tremendous damage to the safety cell, alarmingly seriously injuring or killing occupants of any vehicle not of similar dimensions.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #74
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Oh, and the territory is designed to sit so low. Whilst the motoring journos bagged it for lack of ground clearance I applauded it for its car like characteristics in a collision. Well done Ford, for thinking beyond the owners of these vehicles.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 08:45 AM   #75
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Why is it that everyone is trying to idiot proof the world???
I'm with you mate, we should just all wrap ourselves in bubble wrap and eliminate every sharp object in the world. :
Interesting how Boeing got sued successfully for some twat putting tape over the static vents and not removing it, causing aero peru to crash and kill 71 people. The liability issue was that Boeing allegedly should have foreseen such an oversight and were contributory to the mistake.

Imagine if those principals were applied to vehicle design. I think most car makers would be bankrupt by now, especially Toyota.
All it will take is some litigous nut after a big payout to make it possible.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 22-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #76
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I agree with the sentiments expressed regarding raised 4WDs, to the effect that: they are pigs in the city, potentially unsafe in the wrong hands, and not used for appropriate purpose by the majority of owners, who probably wouldn't slip them into 4WD during their complete period of ownership of the truck.

BUT you need to be careful when you call for any vehicles to be banned, on the basis that nobody really “needs” such a vehicle. If the government ever introduced laws limiting such vehicles, this could be the thin end of a very nasty wedge. Environmentalists could claim who “needs” those nasty fuel guzzling V8s – Ban Them!!. The Harold Scrubys of this world would scream who “needs” turbocharged engines , or anything with more performance than a Holden Barina – Ban Them!!.

I find any large 4WD a pain the backside in the city. They take up too much room on the road, you can’t see through them, and there is no doubt that many, if not most, of their drivers would probably have a real problem in a crisis situation. At the end of the day, however, you have to consider whether going down the road of government intervention might end up at a very unpleasant destination.
I think the point being raised is that currently these vehicles do not have the same taxes placed on them, and as such have become an incentive for people to buy them over any other normal car.

Additionally, they are classified as a commercial vehicle and as such do not attract any Fringe Benefits Tax, and again only serves to entice people to buy them over a normal car.

Quote: