Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lock Nut Key

i think i have just put myself in it! i was just trying to take a wheel off and the lock nut key shattered in the wheel!! now i cant get my wheels off. it has Ford and Tickford on it, and a part number stamped on the top. are these unique to each set of lock-nuts? can i get a new one?

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
xr8ute
Back on the road

Good luck getting a new one, Ford didn't want to know about it when I was in trouble with mine (factory Tickford lock nuts)

I've got two words for you....22mm socket ;)

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i guess lock nuts really are designed not to let people steal your wheels lol, they don't even let you take them off....seems pretty poor to me that it broke, still ford should have to be able to either make a new one or get hold of one from somewhere
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A ford dealer might be able to help you out, they may have a selection of lock nut keys in their workshop for when they service cars??

You could get an old socket that is a tiny bit smaller and hammer it over the top so it is tight and undo it that way.

I would be worried about your wheel studs this way though.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #5
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers guys. i rang tyrepower where i got my tyres from and they also said i will have to ring ford. guess i will try them on monday. and knowing my luck i will get a damn flat this weekend! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
You could get an old socket that is a tiny bit smaller and hammer it over the top so it is tight and undo it that way.

I would be worried about your wheel studs this way though.
thanks dan, but i wouldnt mind if i could keep my lock nuts. i can see myself doing more harm than good! Then again, knowing ford, it would probably be cheaper to buy a new set!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Years ago I lost my locknut key to my mags, i went to a wheel/tyre place and they had heaps of different spare locknut keys lying around , and had one that fit , they ended up just giving it to me too .

Might be worth visiting a wheel/trye shop, they might have 1 to fit , even if they won't give or sell it too you / at least they will probably remove your locknuts for next to nothing / compared to ford, then just buy some new locknuts if you can't get a new key . cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #7
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Years ago I lost my locknut key to my mags, i went to a wheel/tyre place and they had heaps of different spare locknut keys lying around , and had one that fit , they ended up just giving it to me too .

Might be worth visiting a wheel/trye shop, they might have 1 to fit , even if they won't give or sell it too you / at least they will probably remove your locknuts for next to nothing / compared to ford, then just buy some new locknuts if you can't get a new key . cheers.

badluck there Classic AU... went through same experience not long ago
well your in melb ummmm down south east suburbs take it down to The Tyre Factory dandenong they'll break that of and get your self a new set of locks.... think its abt $10 per wheel, dont think ford would be any help unless your able to provide them with the keys number ! and plus would have to wait anywhere from abt 2 weeks to a month good lucks mate

cheers
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM   #8
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ring your local ford dealer, give them the number on the key, and order one, they cost around $25.
Ive had 3 break on me over the last 5 years and had them all replaced and bought from a ford dealer.
Ive also had a set of aftermarket locknuts (i think they were speedy ones)
well they got a bit rusty, and couldnt undo the locknuts so the key broke, and took me all day to take the bloody things off!
Luckily i still had my original tickford ones. make sure you dont overtighten them!!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

I actually need a new one too, mine is cracked in 3 places after taking my wheelnuts off last night. Going to have to get a new one too, which means I have to go through Ford (shudder).....
Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They sound like they are real quality!
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #11
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
They sound like they are real quality!
Theres only so much abuse they can take from trainee tyre fitters and their rattle guns wound up to a million Nm...lol.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a feeling i didnt do it too much good the way i was trying to undo the nut. that stupid "tyre iron", if u can call it that, that comes in the boot of my car didnt fit on the key properly and i was pusing on it on an angle. i'll ring ford tomorrow and see if i can get one.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:56 AM   #13
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just rang ford and was told that if i bring the key in with me they can order a new one, but i will be "looking at 30-40 dollars"! that seems a bit steep, but i guess i dont really have much of a choice.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I hate locknuts ... and never bother with them .... if a thief wants your wheels ... they will get them regardless ... and they will most likely have the main locknuts socket with them .... so it really won't stop them.

Have seen other people had headaches getting locknuts off when the sockets have been destroyed ... one mate ended up using a Cold Chisel and a big hammer .... LOL.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think i am staring to agree with you there mate. i doubt there is much 'street' interest in 17" these days anyway. i am almost just going to get myself four more normal wheel nuts and be done with it. but then again they are probably just as expensive as a new key!
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i think i am staring to agree with you there mate. i doubt there is much 'street' interest in 17" these days anyway. i am almost just going to get myself four more normal wheel nuts and be done with it. but then again they are probably just as expensive as a new key!
Chrome wheelnuts are around $2 each. A new set of locknuts is around $30, so a new key for the same price (but far better quality, believe it or not) is the better option. The Tickford locknuts are much better than any aftermarket ones you can get - not just because they are tickford, but because they are harder to remove than other locknuts (I lost my key once and the suspension place had a nightmare of a time getting the locknuts undone).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 11-10-2006 at 01:17 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'll be keeping mine and ordering a new key. When i get my new rims I'm going to get another set of locknuts and have 2 on each wheel, cos the rims I'm getting are pretty hard to find.