Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #31
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJMXR
I believe an AUI you do need a camber kit. However on AUII and after, i believe they increased the amount of adjustment you have for camber and therefore i didn't need a camber kit when i got my alignment done... so they said at K-Mart Tyre and Auto. Either way, my tires dont scrub out, i dont have a camber kit.

Ok that great for you lol! As i have an AU1 i need a camber kit....bugger..
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 PM   #32
BJMXR

Im not 200% on the whole camber kit thing... but im fairly sure thats the case. Id double check with someone who FULLY knows regardless.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #33
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Thanks

Will do, thanks!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #34
XITED_6
Was It Something I Said!

depends on the size of your wheels. the bigger the more chance u will need a camber kit on the front.
when they do a wheel alignent the have a print out sheet of where the wheel sits angles etc. it goes minus and positive in degrees how the camber sits. if that makes sense. the tyre man should be able to tell u if u really need one however they will recomend it anyway for the sale but u can always findout after u chew a set of 2 front tyres :Pbest thing is get your springs and go to some1 u trust.
XITED_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 04:23 PM   #35
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
I believe an AUI you do need a camber kit. However on AUII and after, i believe they increased the amount of adjustment you have for camber and therefore i didn't need a camber kit when i got my alignment done... so they said at K-Mart Tyre and Auto. Either way, my tires dont scrub out, i dont have a camber kit.
We of the XR's with IRS are spoiled. The way I understand it is that the VCT and XR8's got a "more adjustable" system front and back.. dont quote me on that though.
I do know that the XR IRS is VERY camber adjustable... but the Ghia IRS isnt.. Ford scrimped on it and gave it a smaller adjustment bolt or something.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #36
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
We of the XR's with IRS are spoiled. The way I understand it is that the VCT and XR8's got a "more adjustable" system front and back.. dont quote me on that though.
I do know that the XR IRS is VERY camber adjustable... but the Ghia IRS isnt.. Ford scrimped on it and gave it a smaller adjustment bolt or something.

I was told the same thing, local place told me I would need an camber kit to go to XR springs and shocks on an AU2 fairmont.
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #37
SIKSIX
Its gone V

my mate asked for lowering and was told he didnt need one (AU XR8 III)
and my brother did (AU I Forte)
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #38
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Casper said the shocks will die at around 10,000km anyway so i guess so....I know sucks! More moeny lol and u also have to kit a camber kit!

Cheers
I'll just clarify. If you lower a car to SSL's (or a forte to SL's) then, if the original shocks are left in, they will be dead withing 10,000kms if they are not already shagged. Short throw shocks will last much longer.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #39
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Shocks

Short throw shocks and Monroe GT which one or either?
Old 09-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #40
FRIKA
FRIKA

Had my car recently lowered with SSL Frotn & back. first changed the front shocks to short ones. Not longer after way less than 10000 kms my rear shocks died as well as the mounts and both needed replacing.

Personally i would do the lot in one hit
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #41
BJMXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I'll just clarify. If you lower a car to SSL's (or a forte to SL's) then, if the original shocks are left in, they will be dead withing 10,000kms if they are not already shagged. Short throw shocks will last much longer.

I must say i didn't know this, but have recently noticed my shocks are definately making more noise. Id say ive only done around 6000 kms since i got it done. The shocks have done around 75,000 kms though so there probably due for a change regardless. But its a good point to remember.
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 09-02-2006, 01:53 PM   #42
BJMXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR AYTE
Had my car recently lowered with SSL Frotn & back. first changed the front shocks to short ones. Not longer after way less than 10000 kms my rear shocks died as well as the mounts and both needed replacing.

Personally i would do the lot in one hit
XR AYTE... what did you replace them with? Was the handling and ride quality still as good with the replacement shocks? Looks like im going to have to replace mine quite soon...
Lowered on King SL & SSL
Black Leather Interior
Old 09-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #43
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

My ute has been lowered with lovells SSL springs, which are lower than kings SSL.
I used monroe sensa-trac shocks on the front, and a camber kit to get it all nice.
Now if you think you can get away without camber kit lowering it that much, think again, mine had 4 degrees neg camber with only fitting less than half the shims i had, and only ended having one shim left from the kit to square it up.
The sensa tracs work quite well, tho mine is quite stiff having 18* rims with 40 series rubber.

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 03:15 PM   #44
penrith_panther
EB II

Quote:
yeh kmart-tyre & auto are a lil dodgy....i got all my bushes done by them for $252 and basically he said i have to get my camber done elsewhere cause they didnt have the machine so i called jax and told him the story and he said it was a load of rubbish and how they're just lazy to do the job...now it's at pedders getting done for $90 ...another thing is one of the 3 shock absorber screws under the bonnet is missing! I'm going to have to go back to K-Mart and get this very simple problem fixed...I'm assuming their 12mnth guarantee would cover for this to be done but then again i supplied them the parts (monroes) so im not too sure :(
penrith_panther is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
fomoco3628

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8GRL
My ute has been lowered with lovells SSL springs, which are lower than kings SSL.
I used monroe sensa-trac shocks on the front, and a camber kit to get it all nice.
Now if you think you can get away without camber kit lowering it that much, think again, mine had 4 degrees neg camber with only fitting less than half the shims i had, and only ended having one shim left from the kit to square it up.
The sensa tracs work quite well, tho mine is quite stiff having 18* rims with 40 series rubber.
how much are lovell springs and monroe sensa-tracs?
fomoco3628 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 01:14 AM   #46
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Old thread lol

Wow, this has been dug up lol!

Well since then my car has been lowered on Kings Springs Super Low's all around, and im till using the stock shockers but am starting to feel it a bit lol! So soon i'll look into getting some new shockers! Also car is lower in the back then the front cause of the gas tank so its a tiny bit un-even! But hopefully when i get the new shockers it will even up!

Cheers

Simon
Old 24-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #47
JoesAu

i had my superlows in for 15000km's and pedders did an evaluation on my suspension and said the shockers were fine. but i reckon there buggered now.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #48
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZFORDAU
Wow, this has been dug up lol!
And again!!

I can tell you from experience that cutting half the top coil off an AU XR8 Ute front spring drops ride height by 15mm, with little to no discernable difference in spring comfort & ride.

On an unrelated (maybe) topic, the wagon now sits nice and even.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #49
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Hey sorry to revive an old thread...

But SL does not mean Super Low, it means Sports Lows, and SSL is Sports Super Lows.

Look at the parts catalogue for King Springs, there is no Ultra Lows, although there is SSL for XR's, which is essentially Ultra lows for standard cars.

Futura = standard, Sports Lows and Sports Super Lows
XR = Sports Lows (equivalent to Futura SSL) and Sport Super Lows (the magical "Ultra Lows").

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dan.

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 01:16 AM   #50
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman82
Hey sorry to revive an old thread...

But SL does not mean Super Low, it means Sports Lows, and SSL is Sports Super Lows.

Look at the parts catalogue for King Springs, there is no Ultra Lows, although there is SSL for XR's, which is essentially Ultra lows for standard cars.

Futura = standard, Sports Lows and Sports Super Lows
XR = Sports Lows (equivalent to Futura SSL) and Sport Super Lows (the magical "Ultra Lows").

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dan.
OK. You are wrong.

Kings come in 3 spring heights: Low, SL & SSL. Any of these can then be custom compressed, so I guess a SSL compressed another 10mm = Ultra Low, though if you want to actually drive the car, SSL is probably the lowest option that retains some semblance of practicality.

Fit Lows to an XR and a Forte, and they end up at the same height. Same with SLs & SSLs. Just that you wouldn't fit Lows to an XR, because the factory springs are effectively the same height as Lows. So it doesn't really matter what the SL & SSL stand for, SL on an XR = SL on a Forte/futura/whatever. The thing that may be confusing is that some places talk in Stage 1 lowering, stage 2 etc. in these cases, Stage 1 for an XR = Stage 2 for a Forte, and so on. But if you buy king Lows, doesn't matter what falcon you fit them to, they should sit at around 670mm from bottom of tyre (ie the ground) to top of guard lip. SLs at around 650, and SSL at around 635 (give or take +/- 5 to 10mm on each of these, due to manufacturing tolerances, both by Ford and King Springs).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 01-11-2006 at 01:45 AM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #51
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
OK. You are wrong.

Kings come in 3 spring heights: Low, SL & SSL. Any of these can then be custom compressed, so I guess a SSL compressed another 10mm = Ultra Low, though if you want to actually drive the car, SSL is probably the lowest option that retains some semblance of practicality.

Fit Lows to an XR and a Forte, and they end up at the same height. Same with SLs & SSLs. Just that you wouldn't fit Lows to an XR, because the factory springs are effectively the same height as Lows. So it doesn't really matter what the SL & SSL stand for, SL on an XR = SL on a Forte/futura/whatever. The thing that may be confusing is that some places talk in Stage 1 lowering, stage 2 etc. in these cases, Stage 1 for an XR = Stage 2 for a Forte, and so on. But if you buy king Lows, doesn't matter what falcon you fit them to, they should sit at around 670mm from bottom of tyre (ie the ground) to top of guard lip. SLs at around 650, and SSL at around 635 (give or take +/- 5 to 10mm on each of these, dut to manufacturing tolerances, both by Ford and King Springs).
Okay scrap everything I said... you are right, I was on drugs...

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post