Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Question Tickle an ST170

Been a while since my last post!

Now my shopping trolley has expired warrantee, what can I do it without spending much mulla to extract a bit more go?(its still totaly standard, 55K old)
Can anyone flash the standard computer for more go yet, or will a piggyback chip be needed?
Intake mods are they worth it?

XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #2
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ummm try

www.pumaspeed.co.uk

they have a whole lot of performance mods some expensive and some cheap.....

but a blue fin or a superchip thingy maboby should give you a little more power at not that much of a cost....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bluefin flash the current ecu.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
raymon81

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=560

similar thing to the bluefin
Lowered 30-35mm King springs, Custom leather interior, Polished standard 17s rims, Cadance monoblock amplifier and Alpine Type S sub woofer, clear reverse+fog+tail lights, Angel eyes and a few CHROMEEEEEE bits on my baby.
raymon81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

So a Big Throttle Body for Focus ST170 and a SCT XCalibrator 2 for ST170 should give me between 12~15kw gain for abouts $1250.
Sound reasonable?
Reckon Id get hit with importing cost's, should I import them separately?(or are they available localy?)
Would modding the standard air box assembly with a pod filter inside it gain me much... or **** it off altogether?

I'd like to get close to 100FwKw had it dyno'ed before she clocked 82FwKw on crap fuel... wana show up some gen3 heads!
The same day we dynoed some bikes... a HAYABUSA cracked 118rwkw, then a racing Kwaka 1000 pulled 125rwkw.
The best was a very standard looking XR6T MKII, 1st run 225rwkw... flashed the comp... 2nd run 335rwkw!(yes its not stock)

Last edited by XP6; 08-11-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST170ish
So a Big Throttle Body for Focus ST170 and a SCT XCalibrator 2 for ST170 should give me between 12~15kw gain for abouts $1250.
Sound reasonable?
Reckon Id get hit with importing cost's, should I import them separately?(or are they available localy?)
Would modding the standard air box assembly with a pod filter inside it gain me much... or **** it off altogether?

I'd like to get close to 100FwKw had it dyno'ed before she clocked 82FwKw on crap fuel... wana show up some gen3 heads!
The same day we dynoed some bikes... a HAYABUSA cracked 118rwkw, then a racing Kwaka 1000 pulled 125rwkw.
The best was a very standard looking XR6T MKII, 1st run 225rwkw... flashed the comp... 2nd run 335rwkw!(yes its not stock)
im not sure..but i dont think there is much you can do to the focus ST170...

um pod filter will not give you more HP in itself...a COLD AIR INTAKE will give you a slight increase....

have a look into extractors and cams....just see if you can get any gain out of those....if you can get a gain from them as in a fair gain then get an ECU edit....a bluefin will not get the best performance out of the mods.....

Old 08-11-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

How much Mulla do you have? Maybe sell it? And upgrade :P

BlueST170 (Marc) has done some exhaust mods I believe, which helped!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
Blue_ST170

yeh i did custom extractors and cat from Hi-Tech which did a bit and also found a k&n panel filter will do just as much as a pod cause the St's got a pretty good intake already.....although cai is the best.

Im looking at getting a bluefin next....

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Damn I cranked 76.7kw in my stock Zetec at the wheels... must have been REALLY crap fuel.

All you need is a K&N, a flash tune and a free flowing exhaust, you'll be loving it.

orsest170 - now orsexr5 had an ST that was almost as quick as his XR5T... ask him, he seemed to have the quickest one.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Talkin with my dyno guy, he reckoned the exhaust on the st is very good to start with, aftermarket system gains would be very little, change the cat "could" help a little he said.
So has anyone fitted one of these bigger TB's or the SCT XCalibrator?

Zetec consider a stock VZ auto only got 93 on that day, and a worked 318 bimmer only managed 70.
82 is about right for 127 at the motor!

"How much Mulla do you have? Maybe sell it? And upgrade"
Not likely, an upgrade... ie an xr5 is how much 38k onroad, considering I'd get say 12~15k trade 15k spent on my ST would make a xr5 killa!(RS conversion and then some).
If I was to get a new car(on the cards)it will probably be a Territory 2wd in white dumped to the weeds... just got married 3 weeks ago so something bigger might be needed soon.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Talkin with my dyno guy, he reckoned the exhaust on the st is very good to start with, aftermarket system gains would be very little, change the cat "could" help a little he said.
So has anyone fitted one of these bigger TB's or the SCT XCalibrator?

Zetec consider a stock VZ auto only got 93 on that day, and a worked 318 bimmer only managed 70.
82 is about right for 127 at the motor!

"How much Mulla do you have? Maybe sell it? And upgrade"
Not likely, an upgrade... ie an xr5 is how much 38k onroad, considering I'd get say 12~15k trade 15k spent on my ST would make a xr5 killa!(RS conversion and then some).
If I was to get a new car(on the cards)it will probably be a Territory 2wd in white dumped to the weeds... just got married 3 weeks ago so something bigger might be needed soon.
kool......a Terri Trubo!!!!! with 22"s YEEEHAAAA and dumped on its ***........!!!!!

Old 08-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Surely a Territory would be more then 38k on the road? :P

Go the XR5T

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #13
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Have a look what Pipercross has in the Viper range for ST170. Like an enclosed pod with CAI, but much smarter. Fabre imports them into Australia. I got great gains on my LR Zetec. Probably worth about 5-7 fwkw on ST170.

Of course, you can get supercharger kits from the states for SVT (ST170)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #14
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Here’s the list of Mods:

Focus Central aluminium underdrive pulleys
Focus Central 65mm throttle body
K&N Typhoon short ram intake
AEM adjustable exhaust cam sprocket
Random Technology high flow catalytic converter
Eibach prokit lowering springs

As for which of these mods is the best, well, for me it was definitely the underdrive pulleys. This mod was more noticeable than any other and the cheapest too! An ECU flasher like Bluefin or SCT XCalibrator will give the best gains, but they are quite pricey. European Parts now have the XCalibrator in stock and this would be the one to go for because of the added functionality, however you would need to check if it is compatible with the Australian ST170 ECU codes.

All of the mods made a difference, but I would go for the ECU remap over anything else because it is the only way to overcome the annoying faults of the standard ECU map. After doing all the mods, my ST was no slouch, but it always suffered from that incredibly erratic low down torque delivery, particularly in second gear.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about, think about those times when you have gone around a tight corner into an upslope run and tried to pull away quickly in second gear – it just doesn’t happen, and frankly, the car can be embarrassingly sluggish in those situations. Well, the ECU flash apparently fixes this problem and several other issues with the standard ECU map.

The ST170 is a brilliant little car when modded, but there is only so much power you can get from an NA 2.0 L donk, and this is one of the main reasons I sold it and went for an XR5T. The other reason was the torque issue I just mentioned.

Despite the fact that if you kept my ST ‘on the boil’ (which required keeping it at high revs) it would have kept pace with the XR5 on a tight bit of road, it just never satisfied in the torque department, and during ‘everyday driving’, I really missed having lots of torque (I used to own V8’s and an XR6).

By the way, I got everything except the high flow cat (which was from Mcnews Automotive) from Central Florida Motorsports. If you are planning on keeping the car, I definitley recommend doing some mods, as it gives the car the power to match the awesome chassis.

Simon.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 AM   #15
Blue_ST170

Yeh its pretty hard to get much outta the ST without some serious mods.....the exhuast and intake r pretty well sorted.......

i like having the custom cat etc and the stock back cause u get a nice sound without it being loud.....but would def recommend at least a high flow cat cause the ford ones die anyway and they r like 5 grand for a new one cause its a custom job for the ST170 and has to be shipped form england.

Other than that ide do a k&n panel, underdrive pulleys and a ecu flash........Unless u go turbo....

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 AM   #16
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Surely a Territory would be more then 38k on the road? :P

Go the XR5T
Yep start at 52K for the 2wd Ghia... bout 55 on road.(plus 5k for some phat 20's and a dumpin!)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #17
QLDxr
Starter Motor

I've only spent 30 quid on my ST. Bought a K&N Panel filter when in the UK last week and also got a 'couple of unique' cal files from a mate at Ford R&D UK. I used to work there so got hold of a unique cal. that was never released.
I.e. this cal file will eliinate the cold start and drive poor performance, which is in the standard cal to get 'cat temp up' for emissions. The cal also has more spark and fuel across the table.
Will let you know how she drives....

Cheers,

Mike
QLDxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post