Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default got some pacey 4480's fitted today

i got some pacemaker 4480's fitted today they cost $643 .they seem to pull a bit harder than the lukeys i had on the car.i was under the impression that they are sposed to give you more bottomend and mid range.they seem to have given me better mid range and top end .not that i'm complaining .on the downside i don't go much on the exhaust note with the pacies they sound a bit farty like a bomodore , but i can live with that.
i now have to get a new cat fitted .the one thats on there has let go ,the guy that did the exhaust showed us the cat and what ever is inside of it is rattling around .they refitted it and said i should be able to get it replaced under warranty because its not 2 years old yet(different exhaust shop fitted the cat) .but i'l see how i go.
so what seems to be the best cat to run on the au i6?

FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

I got a Stainless Steel Xforce highflow cat and no complaints yet. Had it for a year so far. $140 of ebay to lol.
Wouldnt say its the best.. but it does the job. Certainly not the worst though lol.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

yeah, I've got a stainless steel cat as well, not sure what brand. Certainly does the job.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can you guys tell if your cat is doing it's job, better than the standard one? The difference would be as fast as a turtle.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

In my case all I know is I had better peak dyno readings with the new exhaust and headers then the old exhaust and headers. I know its a combination of all the factors so I cant state what did what but the car isnt a bad thing as it seems to be working. Just how much better (if any) over stock is as much a guess as anything.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

I know mines better over standard because the new one is 3inch and it said highflow on the box it came in hahaha
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
i got some pacemaker 4480's fitted today they cost $643 .they seem to pull a bit harder than the lukeys i had on the car.i was under the impression that they are sposed to give you more bottomend and mid range.they seem to have given me better mid range and top end .not that i'm complaining .on the downside i don't go much on the exhaust note with the pacies they sound a bit farty like a bomodore , but i can live with that.
i now have to get a new cat fitted .the one thats on there has let go ,the guy that did the exhaust showed us the cat and what ever is inside of it is rattling around .they refitted it and said i should be able to get it replaced under warranty because its not 2 years old yet(different exhaust shop fitted the cat) .but i'l see how i go.
Well i did a before and after dyno when I got my pacemakers fitted and mine made more power in the bottom end and top end but in the mid range not much different. Its all in the gallery have a look and see for yourself. it was pretty farty sound though that was fixed when i changed the cam.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if money is not a concern metalcat gets a pretty good rap supposed to be the bees knees,........ link if your interested http://www.metalcat.com.au/
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Futura01
horsepower

i am running metalcat and i tried 3 diffrent brands before choosing them !!!
Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #10
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jonbays it was your gallery that made me go for the paceis ,i was pondering on burning the unichip and getting a j3 from chip torque.
i am currently on my 3rd cat now since modding the old girl (200 000 k ).i don't know if its the head work / cam making it run rich @ idle or what , thats making them let go .but i do it runs lean @ WOT.i got them to keep the old lukey headres that came off and they were white/orangey sort of colour inside .i have been running nulon pro octane booster in it to stop it pinging (yes it is still pinging with the recoed botomend) .maybe its just a dud tune .i will be getting another tuner to tune it once i get the exhuast sorted .
back onto the cats those 3 inch suckers on ebay look alright.anyone know the differences between the metal centred cats and the ceramic ones?
Old 10-11-2006, 07:09 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Jake ..the orange is the octane booster.I bet it was on your spark plugs too.Throw it away man. Despite it boosting octane I persoanlly believe it clogs the plugs and prevent proper spark firing and slows the 1/4 mile time. I have a 3 inch xforce cat at home on the floor .I used it for 3 months.Make me an offer and its probably gonna be yours.

Metal cats are supposed to flow bettter than ceramic ones. You will find the ego sensor covered in the orange nulon crap as well.It is gonna need a clean.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
jonbays it was your gallery that made me go for the paceis ,i was pondering on burning the unichip and getting a j3 from chip torque.
i am currently on my 3rd cat now since modding the old girl (200 000 k ).i don't know if its the head work / cam making it run rich @ idle or what , thats making them let go .but i do it runs lean @ WOT.i got them to keep the old lukey headres that came off and they were white/orangey sort of colour inside .i have been running nulon pro octane booster in it to stop it pinging (yes it is still pinging with the recoed botomend) .maybe its just a dud tune .i will be getting another tuner to tune it once i get the exhuast sorted .
back onto the cats those 3 inch suckers on ebay look alright.anyone know the differences between the metal centred cats and the ceramic ones?
Well I am on my second cat at 86,000km so thats the cost of playing around with the car. Now running metal centred and they are louder that i can say.
The pinging would worry me. Mine doesn't ping at all and I have disabled the knock sensor so the tune needs attention or the head is promting pre ign through poor swirl or too high compression maybe. lets say tune is more likely.
The Unichip is fine i would only change to an edit if you do change at all. I can't believe you run lean at WOT unless the tune is wrong or there is a problem with the fuel pump or regulator. Low fuel pressure will cause lean running and could cause pinging!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
ENVI XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
hey mate wat type of exhaust system do u have?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #14
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Well I am on my second cat at 86,000km so thats the cost of playing around with the car. Now running metal centred and they are louder that i can say.
The pinging would worry me. Mine doesn't ping at all and I have disabled the knock sensor so the tune needs attention or the head is promting pre ign through poor swirl or too high compression maybe. lets say tune is more likely.
The Unichip is fine i would only change to an edit if you do change at all. I can't believe you run lean at WOT unless the tune is wrong or there is a problem with the fuel pump or regulator. Low fuel pressure will cause lean running and could cause pinging!
the regulators is ok its only a few months old ,i don't know about the fuel pump though .its only ever pinged with the ported head and it only 8 thou shaved off it.i reckon its a dud tune next time its tuned i think iwill get it tuned to standard premium and then run ultimate in after its tuned.
i have removed the sparkies after a good flogging and there white as .not a good sign.it never pings when its cooler in the moring only when the day warms up .my theory is that when the day warms up so dose the fuel in the tank and it runs lean .or maybe the shagged cat has got something to do with it.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENVI XR6
hey mate wat type of exhaust system do u have?
i have a 2 1/2 high flow cat (thats currently stuffed)with a 2 1/2 inch system with a single lukey ultra flow muffler and a xr8 tip