Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Pistonbroke

Default Road Noise

Hey guys,

This is sort of difficult to describe, so here I go.

I have noticed that my XR is starting to make a lot of road noise lately.

The noise happens when the car is slowing down, mostly. It's like you can hear the tyres turning and it has a flat spot or are flat, except there is no vibration coming thru the steering.

I'm thinking that maybe the rears are out of balance. Have checked pressures and they are fine. I wish I could describe the noise better. Is this something
anyone else has noticed?

Confused!

Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Autocade

Could be hand brake sticking
Many AUs have had this issue especially the ones with IRS
Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i'd probably be looking at the handbrake as well.
is there any vibration of the brake pedal?
What is the wear like on your pads and rotors?
Old 22-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Wheel bearings?
Old 22-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

What tyres are you running. I know the SP9000's tend to get very noisy as they wear particularly the last 30% of tread.

Hard to diagnose but typically a wheel bearing you will hear constantly. I would try a few things like coasting in neutral at 80km/h, does the noise exist, or only when the brakes are applied.
Old 22-11-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check the inner edges of the tyres for scalloping, some are bad enough it sounds just like a wheel bearing.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Just had this .... I had a rotation/balance/align done on the ute ... no more noise.

Although with a lot of tyres ... the lower the tread depth, the louder the tyre gets.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I think I know this sound. It happens as you slow down and sounds like those large 4WD tyres with massive tread patterns, but coming from inside the car? It started happening in my car when I got new tyres (Hankook K104 Silicas). Prior to that it never use to happen. I put it down to the "aggressive" tread style / more grip compared to my oldie basic ones.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post