Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-11-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default Price check - Cat covertor

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has replace their Cat (standard) what are they worth?

Cheers,

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

supposing this is it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parts Database
AU2 5E211 C CONVERTOR & PIPE, (4 DR SED FORTE 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) 5 SPEED MAN (T5) OR 4 DR SED S 4.0L SOHC EFI 6 CYL (MP) 5 SPEED MAN (T5) OR 4 DR SED XR 4.0L HP MAN $580.00
that price probably isn't correct now, they may be more or less...if you can find a good low k one from a wreckers for a decent price that might be your best bet
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

we sell our high flow cats for $400 with the choices of 2.5, 3 and 3.5 inch inlet and outlet and a 4" body
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I hope that price has come down!!! Not keen on used one because mine's only done 88000 k's and is falling appart. I wonder if the BA one will fit???

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 19-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #5
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Have you tried going to a wreckers?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
I hope that price has come down!!! Not keen on used one because mine's only done 88000 k's and is falling appart. I wonder if the BA one will fit???
For a generic, ceramic based catalytic converter (same type as from factory), I would expect somewhere around $200 fitted.

When I had extractors fitted to my ute, I had the cats replaced as well. They cost me $300 including fitting for the pair. They are just generic ceramic core XForce cats with the stock 2 1/4" flanges welded back onto them.

Had it done at Best Mufflers in Carlton.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just had mine done as I had the extractors put on ... and the old one needed replacing as well (190,000km). Cost me around the $400 mark for it including a bit of new pipe/flange/gasket ... etc. Mines a 2.5" cat all the way through as well (doesn't have restrictors on it (like some do).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #8
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Well the ford Price is still the same $580.

Aftermarket is $245 but that doesn't have any heat sheild on it, i'm just wondering if the aftermarket job would produce much more heat seeing it has no shield and insulation.

Macarthur Parts Plus at Narallen want $120 for a low km used one.

The head shield on my has disintegrated and looking under the shield that cat appears to not be at it's prime. Would like to replace it and know that the internals are all good aswell.

Old 20-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got an aftermarket 2.5" cat, it has a heat shield but the idiots at the exhaust place here put it upside down so it looks more like a bash plate at the moment...i haven't noticed any increase in heat under the floor, but then again i don't drive barefoot...i also have extractors, but the cat does seem to sit down pretty low so it can get airflow around it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #10
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ok I changed the Cat today, the pic below shows the old & the new

It was pretty easy to fit, didn't need to jack the car up, just reached in. Took about an hour. No more rattle now

While i was there I fitted the new twin 75mm tips that i had on the failed sports system.

I think they look pretty good.

Old 29-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Nice addition there ... the twin tips look better than the factory pipe anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post