Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Fordtopia
Starter Motor

Default Opal Fuel in Remote Areas

Hi Guys, I would like to know your thoughts on Opal Fuel. Where I live we do not have a choice between Opal unleaded and regular Unleaded. Opal unleaded was introduced to help prevent petrol sniffing. We do have access to premium unleaded however the bowser is under lock and key. Does Opal affect your engine, power or fuel economy in any way?

Thank for your thoughts!

Fordtopia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I once used Opal fuel but one of the opal's blocked my fuel lines - After I pulled it out I made it into a necklace for my wife, so all was not lost.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha ha, a necklace, good one. Personally I only sniff premium. I find it better value in terms of sense (lost) per litre,
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Opel is good stuff, the government subsidy is the only think that makes its pirce reasonable.

Essentially Opal is AvGas with the lead removed, this of course brings its Octane down, but even minus the lead i believe its octane is around 93/94 or so- Better than unleaded, but not as good as premium.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 02:51 PM   #5
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Every station in Alice has opal..... Very mixed reviews out here. Personally I wouldn't touch it. But then I'm not likely to go home and stick my nose in the filler pipe.
Old 28-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Chrispy

Fairlane is close to the money.
It is very expensive to make.
Normally the oil companies do a quick refine, throw in some additives (not lead, but doing the same function) to get it to meet specification and out it goes. The additives get people high, so they make it with out them when making opal.
To meet spec the oil companies need to use a better grade (can not confirm avgas, but probably not far from the truth) to make it.
I don't believe the government sudsidy it that much. I know the oil companies don't make any money on it.
The bottom line is providing its fresh and clean, it should be a good thing.

Chrispy
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #7
Fordtopia
Starter Motor

Default Pearl Necklace

Merlin, perhaps try a pearl necklace next time. This may help clear another blocked fuel line.

Thanks for your advice.
Fordtopia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:14 AM   #8
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordtopia
Merlin, perhaps try a pearl necklace next time. This may help clear another blocked fuel line.

Thanks for your advice.
I like it...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post