Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Top Gear Car of Year - Jaguar XK

Good news for Ford with PAG taking out Car of the Year and GT of the year with the Jaguar XK and the Freelander 2 stepping up to take the SUV of the year for LandRover. S-Max took the Big?Car of the year award for Ford too.

Quote:
» Jaguar XK is Top Gear’s Car Of The Year
13-12-06
Wheels news
Words - Chris Gable

Announced in its magazine spin-off, the cult TV show has given the XK both its headline award and GT Of The Year.

Top Gear has given both its Car Of The Year and GT Of The Year awards to Jaguar’s XK.

The awards, announced in London last week and presented by the TV show’s host, Jeremy Clarkson, also included Car Of The Year gongs for:

SUV – Land Rover Freelander 2
Small Car – Mini Cooper S
Supercar – Lamborghini Gallardo
Roadster – Mazda MX-5 RC
Coupe – Audi TT
Big Car – Ford S-Max
Family Car – Citroen C4 Picasso
Sports Car – BMW Z4 Coupe
Executive Car – Citroen C6
Limo – Lexus LS600h

While awarding the top gong to Jaguar’s Ian Callum, Top Gear magazine editor, Michael Harvey said: “We feel justified in handing our big one to the fabulous XK, a car everyone now recognises as magnificently beautiful, that reclaims the lost role of the Grand Tourer and, we suspect, might reclaim the art of ride/handling compromise in the portfolio of skills any purveyor of so-called luxury cars must possess.”

The magazine's editor in the US, Jamie Kitman was equally effusive: “This is not only the best Jaguar in 40 years, it is a real Jaguar; one knows it in seconds. Jaguar has thoroughly demonstrated with the XK that it is an utterly serious modern engineering entity with a priceless institutional memory of that which made Jaguars great.”

Jaguar’s Design Director Callum (pictured with the car) said all the right things: “It was a tremendous honour to receive this award for the XK and for Jaguar to be recognised for creating such an accomplished vehicle by real enthusiasts such as Top Gear. I feel very proud of everyone at Jaguar responsible for their contribution to the success of this car.”

The magazine/TV show’s website features a video roundup of the top contenders for the award.
For anyone interested I posted the Wheels sister story on the Volvo XC60 Concept SUV in the Territory forum. Seems to have some Mondeo and IosisX styling cues to it.

Last edited by Caseterritory; 20-12-2006 at 10:24 AM.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL

I love my Top Gear, but its so biased towards English stuff its ridiculous. XK is a nice car indeed.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

lol whens the last time a jag won an award? e-type :\?

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL

I love my Top Gear, but its so biased towards English stuff its ridiculous. XK is a nice car indeed.
Too true. Everything British is good, everything American is bad. I guess there's nothing wrong with being patriotic though, we Australians stick up for our own. The XKR is supposed to be a massive improvement over the basic XK, Wheels raved about it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #5
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Yeah but how much did the Top Gear boy's love the Monaro (Vauxhaul (spelling?)). They might be biased but they give a good car a good wrap!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Lumpen Proletariat

To me, the new XK looks like a Hyundai Tiburon. I say this with a heavy heart as I am a dedicated Jagista. The previous XK look liked a Jag (yes, it also looked like DB7). Very disappointed!

Lumpy :spoton:

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
bEAn86

A good winner in my books and we all know everything american is crap/bad
bEAn86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #8
Jayden
Graphic Artist

The XK is pretty awsome, I still like the back lights of the DB9 more and apart from that they look pretty similar and I never liked the front of either of them.
Old 21-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Just on a sidenote i read in the latest Blueprint mag that FPV will be a naming sponsor for Top Gear in the up coming series so expect to see FPV adverts in the program. It mentioned that it will be aired on BBC World on Fox.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpen Proletariat
To me, the new XK looks like a Hyundai Tiburon. I say this with a heavy heart as I am a dedicated Jagista. The previous XK look liked a Jag (yes, it also looked like DB7). Very disappointed!

Lumpy :spoton:
I agree, I really find the styling very bland and boring... :

Does it still run Lucas electrics? :
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I agree with Lumpy a bit, I wouldn't call it ugly, but it could have been so much better, eg look at the Aston V8 Vantage for a really good looking car. Hopefully they give it a facelift
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post