Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default TD Cortina, possible 3.9 conversion. Need advice

Hi people.

As the title suggests, I just scored myself a TD Cortina. The problem is that although the car is the best you could expect so cheap (read immaculate interior, no rear seat back or rear windscreen, minor rust), the problem is that it is a 2L 4spd. I am looking for a burnout car, which means I am looking for a powerful automatic.

The cheapest powerful automatic engine/box combo that will fit that I can think of is a 3.9L OHC engine with a 3spd auto behind it. I'm wondering how I can fit one.

Initially, I will be looking for a CPI manifold, and putting one of the many 2barrell holleys we have on it, so the main concern is the ignition side of things.

I know that the 3.9 distributor is designed to have a computer attached to it that controls ignition timing directly, so it is all but useless without a real ignition computer. Are there any straight fit distributors that can drive a coil directly? Alternatively I would be looking for a cheap (ie nearly nothing) ignition computer that will allow me to use the stock distributor.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ben

*The car will eventually have a MPI setup on it, but that won't happen until the car proves its worth, or gets rebuilt as a road car.

BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

Why not go with a 250 and a c4 auto. Very tough combo and drop straight in with the only modification being the gearbox mount, which isn't hard.
No computer required and you can pick up both of those items pretty cheap.
That's my 2c anyway.
BI6TIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mainly because I can get a complete EA MPI for about $40. What gearbox do the auto 3spd EA's have?
Old 25-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

They have a BorgWarner 35, 40 or 51 depending on the year and the model.
Old 25-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm. I hope they can take the heat. Either way people say they are a stronger box than the BTR 4spds.
Old 25-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

You can fit an XD/XE/XF X-flow distributor to an E-Series block so you don't need to run the EA ECU.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet. Thats the major conversion issue, except the sump. Will I be needing a 6cyl K-frame, or are they the same?
Old 25-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #8
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Incedentally I will be doing some unique things to the combustion chamber, results wont be in numbers, just how they feel and what ignition timing had to do...
Old 25-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Maximus
ED XR6

That should prove to be a really unique project mate! Good luck.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #10
BI6TIM
SnortPerformance.com

You can use the 4cyl K-frame. As for the sump you can go and grab a cortina 250 x-flow sump and you'll only need to drill a couple of extra holes in it to match all the screw holes on the 3.9/4.0 block. Already checked that!
Old 26-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet. Does it have to be a crossflow sump? I know of a 6cyl that was in a cortina, but being a TC, it could be a log motor (and/or a 200, not sure).

Thanks
Ben
Old 26-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
nos_james

the pre crossflow blocks were narrower so the sump wont fit and you will want an xd dissy as they went to computer controled in the xes also you will find that it is a webber that fits onto the cfi manifold not a holly
nos_james is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, but webber-holley adaptors abound.

So it looks like I need a crossflow cortina sump, ill keep the feelers out.

cya
Ben