Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #31
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Do me a favour, quit the sms style posting it is not welcomed on these forums
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:10 PM   #32
boogernissan
feza

keep your auto.i laugh at you when it breaks and it will.whether it is "custom built" or not.everything breaks.the only reason you wont break it soon is cos you dont have enough torque to cream thru it.
boogernissan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #33
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogernissan
keep your auto.i laugh at you when it breaks and it will.whether it is "custom built" or not.everything breaks.the only reason you wont break it soon is cos you dont have enough torque to cream thru it.
wrong answer.. see you in 3 days.. maybe. Good bye.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:14 PM   #34
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin
the sprag clutch in these boxes isnt very strong and really cops it on downchanges. going up is ok but down is bad - you will end up with no engine braking at all once the sprag clutch dies.
my bro's auto has exhibited this fault for 100,000KM+ and hasnt died yet. nfi what causes them to fail, our local auto joint said its costly to fix and not worry about it until the box dies... and its otherwise 100%.
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #35
galapogos01
eec tweaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
My BTR has been custom built to handle 600hp.. breaking it is not a concern of mine.
casper, regardless of wether your box has been built to handle 600hp or not, if the behavior is bad for the trans, its bad for the trans. it may last a longer if you've spent the bucks, but dont think youre invincible!
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #36
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapogos01
casper, regardless of wether your box has been built to handle 600hp or not, if the behavior is bad for the trans, its bad for the trans. it may last a longer if you've spent the bucks, but dont think youre invincible!
I agree, thats what I have been saying. I have probably the strongest possible build for a BTR and I wont do it because it WILL break it.. eventually. By looking after it though I expect my auto to outlive the motor. No different for a manual. Slamming it back gears and dropping the clutch without matching revs will do bad things to a manual as well. The difference is in a manual you can match revs and save the shock from occuring.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #37
Tiga_EL
Banned

It does cause the trans damage im sure most would know this, i happened to accidentally slip it into 2nd at like 90 or maybe even first didnt hold it there long enough to realise, and the car went spasic, started bouncing off the limiter, quickly slammed it into drive and it chirped, and went fine. Although now it does start to slip a tiny bit. Never drive like that anymore, not that i meant to do it anyway.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #38
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

I have a bad habit for ALWAYS up and down shifting my auto.. She has done ~50,000kms since i have had it.. no dramas yet and i have only had it go into limp home mode once.. and that was because of something else..

I thinking the box is about due for a service.. hasn't had one yet.. LOL..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #39
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Just a question. Why would you want to do this?
Simple it gives you more control over your car, in the same as you can in a manual driven car, i have always driven autos through the gears without a problem, and i drive them hard.

With the down shift, in regards the lockup, keep a simple rule in your head and ask would you throw it down a gear in a manual at this speed ?, common sense plays a big part, also if your running hot coming down in the gears i am also very hard on the brakes to soak up any back lash from the drive train and would not be stupid enough to free roll at speed and throw it down.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #40
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Alot of the time it is about knowing your car.. Knowing where you are in the rev range.. i only ever usually downshift below 3000 rpm.. engine braking is very handy.. plus the crackle from the exhaust is awesome..

DOC, i agree totally.. it does give you more control of your car..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #41
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogernissan
that is true.the falcon autos wont change into first until you slow to about 30-40 kays.i drive mine thru the gears all the time and it dont hurt it.all is good.keep it reguarly serviced and you should be good.my 4sp auto is clapped out aswell,slips in gear and ****.im gonna put my 5sp t5 in there soon
i could put mine in first at 60km/h easy and it would change every time
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #42
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

I use the gears in my auto aaaaaall the time. It's great! It's just what ya do when you don't have a real manual :P

I down change all the time too. When you don't have ecomony switched on I always slow down in 2nd. doing it in 1st though I think would be pushing it.
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #43
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all these people talking about autos being weak, i bet a manual would do a few clutches in before the auto goes.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:05 PM   #44
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
My BTR has been custom built to handle 600hp.. breaking it is not a concern of mine.
However with a stock BTR the downshift does damage it. Slowly, bit by bit, it does do damage. Saying it is fine while driving with an auto that is showing classic signs of wear and tear (regardless of if you did it or not) is either a) ignorant or b) wishful thinking. The auto does not match the revs on downshift, the auto is "shocked". No different to reving to around 1500rpm and dropping it into D every time you drive. It wont kill it immediatly but it will wear it out faster than normal.

hey casper,

what has been done to your btr that it can handle 600hp? just wondering as i have just got mine rebuilt with a few things modified and was hoping i could match it up against yours? also what rpm stall do you have and how does the computer handle it?

thanks
pete j
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #45
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB Pete
hey casper,

what has been done to your btr that it can handle 600hp? just wondering as i have just got mine rebuilt with a few things modified and was hoping i could match it up against yours? also what rpm stall do you have and how does the computer handle it?

thanks
pete j
you have PM. As for the computer handling it... AU Edit, its a wonderful thing.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #46
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

yeah LHM is a wonderful thing aswell, aswell as no 4th gear after stalling in 1st. gotta love it!
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:06 AM   #47
Dezza
Parts bin special

I always drive my auto like a manual. I just miss the manual transmission. Autos are no fun. My S5 solenoid is also stuffed so I get the 1st to 2nd chirp, and various other thumps. The gearbox has been doing this for probably 40-50,000kms and it still hasn't died. I'm suprised it's still going.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:25 AM   #48
DNKPWR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always do it..thats why my box is on the way out...slips bad in reverse in the morning.
i don't reccomend shifting hard down into 2nd...3rd is ok!!!
Old 26-09-2006, 01:41 AM   #49
Rollin
Banned

I think you guys need to make the distinction between 'killing' and 'wounding' the auto.

Downshifting without matching revs (left foot brake and dab the throttle as you downshift, my mate used to do it all the time) will wound the box.

As I said, the sprag clutch which gives you engine braking is weak in these boxes, and once it is worn you will get a lack of engine braking effect and probably some other nasty side effects.

As for Killing it (ie no drive at all) yeah its pretty hard to kill...about the same as a T5.

ebs_4l, TUFED6 and I have all blown 3rd gear to pieces in our T5s from abuse - technically we didnt 'kill' them as we still had 4 gears left, but its definately wounded.

My current T5 crunches into 2nd and 4th and whines in 3rd and 5th, because I thrashed the crap out of it at Powercruise. Its not dead but its stuffed because I abused it.

That is what you are doing when you downshift an auto manually...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 02:08 AM   #50
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8
do manuals still rock in heavy traffic, bumper to bumper going up and down hills for 10kms??? lol

Auto's arnt all that bad, All you need is a shift kit and a highstall and youl be rite.
theres no traffic like that in Bendigo!!! :
dosent really bother me anyway. all i have to do is let the clutch out a tiny bit and i start rolling!
Old 26-09-2006, 06:57 PM   #51
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crannersEL
Sweet as, thanks guys!
Now i can make my car sound kinda like a manual hahahahaha........
?
This quote stuck with me, If you drive the car in a way that immitates a manual, then your wasting your time and it will never really perform the way you want it to.

In a way it is like people saying they have a new exhaust on thier six and now it sounds like a V8, it just doesnt happen ( and yes for those few it can be close , but not the real deal )

From a movie way back and not sure of it's name the quote " I am Black and i am proud " comes to mind.

With the auto drive it through the gears but do not try and even make it sound manual, the days are long gone where those saying your big n tuff if you have a manual, and your a girl if you drive an auto, and i am not talking about driving my camry as that just stays in drive.

The event of the new 6 speed auto has quashed any rubbish relating to an auto being weak and not the mans car.

I grew up driving manuals, GT's, Xu1's, Monaro's, charger's and the list goes on and i love the manual cars back then and also modern day manuals such as XR8888 and ORSMXR were very tough and would not say a bad thing about them and in todays time it's hard to also bag the auto.

In the thread people have talked about the drive train and avoiding backlash and in a way would apply to manuals as well, drive anything stupid and it will break, more in point they talk about down shifting under brake to avoid this, but no one yet has talked about down shifting under WOT, and in the auto ( once again with common sense ) this will rock your socks.

Lets say you have just come out of a corner or speeding up on the straight ( and this is on track not street ) and your revs are low, and i guess eveyone has done this plenty of times, in a manual in with the clutch drop it back a gear or two and away you go, same with the auto, say i am in 3rd at low revs, i can literally slamm my foot to the floor and hit the shifter Bang, 2nd , Bang 1st as fast as i can, and unlike the manual where i need to get the clutch in and change gears etc this is instant, so from 3rd to second, it will throw the revs up and pick up , but your still in the range to hit first which is done, and that puppy kicks in, it will throw you back into the seat so hard it's not funny and you will know then why there are side bolsters, lumber supports, head rests and the works in your seat as you will be glued to them, and you better be hanging on as it will be instant peak revs / acceleration and you car will be stepping out all over the back, and before you know it your slamming that puppy into second and being slammed back into the seat again.

All of this would happen before the manual driver even got the first gear change sorted and let the cluth out, and your long gone.

( i will stress track for this and if you have never done it take it slow or you will loose the back end very easily, and it will bite you in the a$$, as it is as above WOT, flat out hard ballin it ),

So in relation making it sound like a manual, be proud to drive an auto, there is nothing wrong with them once people learn that D is for Dull driving.

:

Last edited by DOC; 26-09-2006 at 07:12 PM.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #52
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually chuck it in 3rd down big hills so i dont have to ride the brakes, and sometimes put it in first to get more throttle response when trying to spin the rears.
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #53
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

I find in heavy traffic dropping to 2nd or even 1st is a great way of slowing the car down, using less brake applications and reducing the threat of a silly re-ender.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post