Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
XRated
Shoot.

Default Where's the best place to buy a new LCD TV?

Here's the run-down:

My mother is looking to get a new LCD TV. What I'm trying to do is find one with the following specifications:
<$1,500 (her original budget was only $1,200... I know, I know...)
32" wide-screen
Built-in HD tuner
Preferably a decent Japanese brand
Something with at least two years warranty

I know it's a big ask, but we managed to get a guy at JB down to $1,650 for a neat Samsung unit (comes with a three year manufacturer's warranty) and has all the above features. I was just wondering whether there is a better place than JB to hunt for a decent deal (we tried Myer, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman, Retravision - all the big expensive places).

There was also a Soniq model for $1,300 but I'm led to believe parts for it are imported from here and there and finally put together in China. So I'm trying to avoid cheaper brands just to put my mother at ease (geeze the ol' duck is stressing about it!)

So any heads up about where is a decent place that has "the best prices" would be great, and I thank you in advance.

Luke

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #2
AUsome
/////Alpine

when your talkin warranty, make sure you clarify what exactly is covered for them two years. Some only cover the LCD, dead pixels for 12 months and the rest of the tv(not much else to it) for the remainder 12 months or 24 months and say 2 or 3 years warranty on them.
AUsome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

go to hardly normal and haggle
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Research the net a LOT.
www.dtvforum.info is a good start.
Then do the rounds, HN, Good guys, chandlers etc etc.
When I bought my first plasma I bought it from chandlers for 3800, reduced from 4999. It was still 5500 in HN 4 months later.
It just depends on who is hungry at the time and be very wary. There are 3 types of flat TV sales:
a) Those who have no idea and will lie and tell you anything to sell.
b) Those who have a very slight idea and will lie and tell you anything to sell.
c) Ones I have not met yet.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Nice list, flappist! Your pessimism never lets me down :P

I found a place called Digital Centre in St Albans (eek!) who have the same Samsung model for $1,535 after $189 cashback and a Panasonic 32xxxx600A for a little bit more. It looks like a good deal; but I'm a bit sketchy on the cashback side of things. I'll hopefully hear more from them today.

20V Turbo

Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #6
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Major brands such as your Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Philips etc. are not quite down to those figures your budget will allow. Even with major haggling/bashing sales people over the head and whatever else you'd like to try, you will still be a few $100 short.

Best bet, if you are 100% not spending over that budget, try and buy online (half reputable site however people lol, no www.savewithmetodayonly.com) or even eBay believe it or not..

If you could however stretch your budget to the $1500 mark I'd think with a little hunting you could very well find your major branded w/s 32" LCD with not too much hassles.

At the moment you will find that the cheaper nasty (and still not so nasty) 32" screens without Digital Tuners being inbuilt to be covering the market costing around $850 - $1250 as you have seen.
A lot of the screens will use other companies screens, which is good and bad in one, they are in most cases older generation screens and usually sold off cheaper to these 'no name' or 'new 'brands without a lot of electronics meaning just because it uses a last gen. LG or Samsung screen, the equiv LG or Samsung screen from that last gen. would still look somewhat better in most (certainly not all) cases.

If you decide to save a tad more for the screen, you can always find real bargains out there - larger stores like your HN, JB, PH, GG, CP, BL etc. all have to clear out 'old' models and display units..
I am as wary as the next guy when it comes to display units, but working in the industry I can honestly say some models are bloody good buys, having not had a long shelf life and just 'sat there' not being touch or shoved around by random people.
If you’re willing to go something that’s Discontinued you again could save a heap of cash that way, stores like the above know when it’s time to move certain ranges as new stuff is on the way (well at least they should know) so keep an eye out for Discontinued/Quit Stock Items and save..
I have 5 (now i know where my money goes) LCD's in my house, all were dirt cheap high end models and its only because I was able to see the bargains at the right time.

Good luck; and happy hunting! _2:
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:03 PM   #7
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
that limits you to Panasonic... for now until they move to china

but for your budget, aim a tad higher 1600-1900ish and get the extended warranty - its saved so many people from throwing away there tvs (as you only get 12 months now not 3 yrs)

a note though if you plan on recording tv as well and want to record HD you'll have to buy another STB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
c) Ones I have not met yet.
haha i tell it like it is....not which models need moving

EDIT: btw with regards to ebay prices NO STORE will match those prices.....except me done it now 3 times and beaten them by couple hundred...pays to shop around
though if its a matter of 1 or 2 hundred just buy from a shop, no postage costs, can get warranty done much easier, may even get someone from shop to set it up for you too

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

haha, there are stores that will price match ebay - but thats their own stupidity..

I certainly dont and after explaining as to why, most level headed people can see why without trying to rip your head off haha.

I agree with FALCONSR however, on the jap side of things you are limited, pana and severely limited in your price range or even close.

With warranty id go ext warranty also, but then you haveto factor more $$$ in; its all fun buying a tv
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
coupdy do

ebay......
coupdy do is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Ok - here are some choices in the 32" Widescreens.

ACER AT3220B LCD TV 32"

Resolution 1366 x 768
Brightness 500 nits
Contrast Ratio 1200:1
Displayable Colours 16.7M
Viewing Angle 176° (H),176° (V)
Response Time 8ms (Gray to Gray)
Power Supply 90V /264V-AC
Power Consumption 185W
Power Saving 3W
Dimensions 810 x 612 x 258 mm
Weight (kg) 17.7 Kg
Gross Weight (kg) 21.06 Kg
Wall Mounting 400mm x 200mm
Colour System PAL
Sound System B/G/K/D/I/L
Stereo System FM - FM
Subtitle TeleText B System 100 page
Speaker 8W
AV1 RCA for CVBS, S-video, AudioR/L
AV2 RCA for CVBS, S-video, AudioR/L
AV3 YPbPr/YCbCr,CVBS, Audio R/L
Comonent1 RCA for YUV, Audio R/L
Component2 RCA for YUV, Audio R/L
HDMI in Yes (HDCP)
PC D-Sub Yes
PC Audio In Yes
RRP (incl. GST) $1799 Inc with 3 year warranty - can be had for around $1,200

BENQ: VA321 32" HDMI LCD TV

RES: WXGA (1366x768)
SCREEN SIZE: 81cm (32")
ASPECT RATIO: 16:9
BRIGHTNESS: 550 cd/m2 (typ)
CONTRAST RATIO: 1000:1 (typ)
RESPONSE TIME: 8ms (Grey to Grey)
VIEWING ANGLE: 176 / 176 deg
DISPLAY COMPAT: 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i
BROADCASTING SYSTEM: PAL / SECAM / NTSC
SPEAKERS: 2 x 8W RMS
DIM(WxHxD,mm)/WT: w/Stand 815x609x261/20kg w/o Stnd: 815x576x117/16.5kg
PC MODE: Horiz Freq: 30- 61 KHz Vertical Freq: 59 - 76 Hz
Digital Power Mgt System: Yes (PC standby mode)
INPUT TERMINALS: Composite AV (Video+L/R) x 3, S-Video x 2, Component (Y Pb Pr / Y Cb Cr) + Audio x 3 D-Sub x 1, HDMI x 1 (HDMI/DVI), PC Audio x 1
POWER CONSUMPTION: 185W

RRP: $ 1,699 - can be had for around $1,450

VIEWSONIC: VS 32"LCD TV

NATIVE RES: 1366x768
PANEL SIZE: 32 "
BRIGHTNESS: 500 nits
CONTRAST RATIO: 800:1
VIEWING ANGLE : 170 horizontal, 170 vertical
RESPONSE TIME : 8ms
CONNECTOR: D-Sub input (PC) x 1, HDMI digital input x 1
Composite input x 2, S-Video input x 2
Component input x 2, Headphone x 1, Tuner x 1
AUDIO: Speaker: 20W (SRS)
POWER VOLTAGE : AC 100-240VAC auto switch 50/60Hz

RRP: $1,689 can be had for around $1,250

SONY: KLV32S200 32" S-SERIES HDMI LCD TV

DISPLAY TYPE: LCD Flat Panel Display
SCREEN SIZE: 32" (16:9)
COLOUR SYSTEM: NTSC 3.58, NTSC 4.43, PAL, PAL 60, SECAM
PICTURE: NATIVE DISPAY RES: 1366 X 768
BRAVIA ENGINE: Yes
VIEWING ANGLE: 178 Deg
SCREEN FORMAT: Wide Zoom / Normal / Full / Zoom
PICTURE MODE: Vivid / Standard / Custom
MULTI PICTURE: PIP (For Freeze Function)
NOISE REDUCTION: Yes
SOUND: AUDIO OUTPUT: Yes; BBE DIGITAL: Yes
SOUND MODE: Dynamic / Standard / Custom
SURROUND MODE: SRS TruSurround XT / Simulated Stereo / Off
TERMINALS: HDMI Input x1, Component In x2, S-Video in x3
Composite in x3, Headphone Out x 1, HD15 / PC Audio Input x 1
OTHER FEATURES: Power Saving Mode, Clock, On / Sleep Timer, Teletext,
Light Sensor, Cinema Drive, Swivel
OSD LANGUAGE: English / Chinese / Thai / Arabic / Persian
POWER REQUIREMENT: 110 - 240V 50/60 Hz
POWER CONSUMPTION: 140W
DIMENSIONS (WXHXD, mm)/WT: Stand: 792 x 593 x 219mm/28 Kg
W/O Stand: 792 x 546 x99mm/16 Kg
SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES: Remote Control RM-GA005, 2 x AA Batteries, cables

RRP: $1,799 can be had for around $1,500

NEC NLT-32XT1 32" (81cm) LCD TV

# 32" (81cm) LCD Television
# Resolution: 1366 x 768
# HDMI Connectivity
# New Stylish Bottom Speaker Design with "gun metal" grey design
# Analogue Tuner
# Component (DVD) Input
# AV Input / AV Output
# S-Video Input
# PC-Analogue Input (D-Sub)
# 8 Millisecond Response Rate
# ARC - Aspect Ratio Control
# Picture & Sound Preference Menu
# Freeze Function
# Noise Reduction
# Clock / On Timer / Off Timer
# 3 Year Warranty (In-Home Service Metropolitan Areas Only)

RRP: $1,799 but it's a superseeded moodel and can be had for around $1,050

MITSUBISHI 32" DV322 WIDESCREEN 16:9

32" LCD Display Monitor
1360 x 768 Panel Resolution
697.68 mm x 392.26 mm Display Size
1000:1 Contrast Ratio
500 cd/m² Brightness
8 ms Response time (grey to grey)
HDMI™ port
Wide 170° Viewing Angle
Picture in Picture (PIP) Technology - (PC mode only)
Built-in 2 x 10 Watt RMS Speakers
HDTV Ready
Desk Stand included
2 year limited warranty

RRP: $1,549 and can be had for about $1,200

NEC NLT-32HDB2 32" (81cm) LCD TV

The replacement for the obsolete unit above:

# 32" (81cm) LCD TV with Integrated High Definition Tuner
# HDMI connectivity
# 8 millisecond response rate
# WXGA 1366 x 768 resolution
# Sound Output 15w + 15w
# Bottom Mount Speaker Design
# SRS True Surround Sound
# 1200:1 contrast ratio
# HDMI Port x 1
# S-Video x 1
# AV Output x 1
# AV Input x 3
# PC Input x 1
# Component Input x 1
# Clock
# On/Off Timer
# Teletext
# Picture in Picture (PIP)
# Auto Volume Leveler
# Aspect Ratio Control
# NEC's famous 3 year warranty (In Home Service Metro Areas Only)
# RRP $2,499.00 but can be had for about $1,600

If you need any further info just PM me.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I know I am cynical with regard to this but I have been burned about 40 bazillion times.
Short list of lies, damed lies and sales pitches of this I have actually bought:
N.B. The ABC and SBS translators on ghost hill in Hervey Bay are a bit strange and cause some products to lock up.
1) AWA 80cm LCD; Q: Can this show high def? A: No. Truth 1080i on component or DVI
2) Samsung 42" Plasma; Q: Can the PIP be made to work with DVI and component? A: Yes. Truth: No.
3) LG HD STB; Q: Can the analdog tuner be disabled? A: Yes. Truth: No.
4) PVRs, LG HD, LG SD, Sony HD, Pana SD, Toppy 4000, Toppy 5000; Q: Will these work properly with out local ABC/SBS? A: Yes. Truth No. (software upgrade now available)
5) Samsung HF550 STB; Q: does this support extended EPG? A: Yes. Truth: No.
6) Centrex fridge top 40cm (or so) DTV; Q: Is this a piece of cheap junk that is deaf as a post has crap audio and is really just a cheap computer monitor with an even cheaper SD STB stuck inside it? A: No. Truth: have a guess.....

Then I could go on about alledged wide screen (16x9) support for Divx media on just about every DVD/DVDRW made.........

And the last one.... will this remote work with other devices e.g. TV/DVD/STB/Whatever? A: Yes of course. Truth: Yeh right!!!!

I now ask the questions and then get a written note that if it does not actually do it I get a refund.

A lot of this will probably not apply to you directly but as I stated earlier DO RESEARCH, it will save you lots of grief.

P.S. Russ , good list.....
Old 09-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #12
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Geez, sorry to hear about your issues Flappist - May I ask if this was from a few select stores or over a wide range of stores thus showing your bad luck there..?

I am 150% supportive of: If you don't know, don't make it up; explain you're not aware but are willing to try and find out for them.
I cannot tell this to my staff enough for them to know never lie to the customers; it is funny how when I moved into my position just how many less returns we get for the reasons along the lines of 'not suitable' or 'doenst do what the salespeople said' or 'didnt meet my expectations'
IF i do get returns like this, i always work out WHY and speak to staff as to why they didnt see exactly what the customer was after/expecting or being told as this is a huge NO NO in my dapartment..

Flappist - I can't denie, Ive been burned before, but how i get around it now is to know what I'm after before I goto get it; yes its more effort on your end but it ensures that sloppy salesmen/woman dont just peddal whatever is armsreach!

Those screens listed above arent top end screens; cheap'ish yes, but also dont suit your criteria of STB inbuilt.

Save few 100 more and buy the solution.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #13
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the good guys. they have a wide variety and are usually alot cheaper then other companies. Your tv doesn't have to be a big brand. just get a 3-5 year warrenty and have peice of mind, no matter what you get
Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
Geez, sorry to hear about your issues Flappist - May I ask if this was from a few select stores or over a wide range of stores thus showing your bad luck there..?

I am 150% supportive of: If you don't know, don't make it up; explain you're not aware but are willing to try and find out for them.
I cannot tell this to my staff enough for them to know never lie to the customers; it is funny how when I moved into my position just how many less returns we get for the reasons along the lines of 'not suitable' or 'doenst do what the salespeople said' or 'didnt meet my expectations'
IF i do get returns like this, i always work out WHY and speak to staff as to why they didnt see exactly what the customer was after/expecting or being told as this is a huge NO NO in my dapartment..

Flappist - I can't denie, Ive been burned before, but how i get around it now is to know what I'm after before I goto get it; yes its more effort on your end but it ensures that sloppy salesmen/woman dont just peddal whatever is armsreach!

Those screens listed above arent top end screens; cheap'ish yes, but also dont suit your criteria of STB inbuilt.

Save few 100 more and buy the solution.
That was spread over a number of stores over a couple of years. I now don't bother asking tech questions. I just ask what new goodies do they have and they leave me alone.
It is not all bad, I have bought lots of stuff that works great and does what it is supposed to. I just get a bit annoyed at sales people who will never say "I don't know" when they don't know......

This sort of thing is not confined to home entertainment, I have some really funny car salesman stories too.

P.S. That reminds me, I must check out the availablity of the new Beyonwiz soopa doopa HD PVR with DVD, USB, SMB, Wifi and special sauce on a spotty bun. It is going be THE gizmo......
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Daniel
F6 - with sugar on top

Quote:
That was spread over a number of stores over a couple of years. I now don't bother asking tech questions. I just ask what new goodies do they have and they leave me alone.
It is not all bad, I have bought lots of stuff that works great and does what it is supposed to. I just get a bit annoyed at sales people who will never say "I don't know" when they don't know......

This sort of thing is not confined to home entertainment, I have some really funny car salesman stories too.

P.S. That reminds me, I must check out the availablity of the new Beyonwiz soopa doopa HD PVR with DVD, USB, SMB, Wifi and special sauce on a spotty bun. It is going be THE gizmo......
Well it's atleast good to hear you have some good stories to back those ones up anyway..

Carsales people are stereotypicaly shocking at these traits; but as with cops and all people, theres the good with the bad; but its alot easier to remember all the bad and specialy when there are so many haha
Old 09-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Bravia LCD Screen , 28" With Free HDMI Box - $1299 Deleivered

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #17
SiKoRa_eL_97

Quote:
3) LG HD STB; Q: Can the analdog tuner be disabled? A: Yes. Truth: No.
P.S. Russ , good list.....

Sorry had 2 lol GG.

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #18
XRated
Shoot.

Thanks guys. So I got this far, and then last night my brother pretty much reversed all my hard work.... "You don't need a HD in-built. Just get a cheap plasma. Blah blah." Argh.

I am thinking of telling my mum to get a 42" $1,200 Panasonic plasma (I prefer LCD but I won't be paying for it, and I won't be living with it forever) and then get a HD box with recorder in a couple of years when prices fall.

Russ, what is your pick of the bunch from what you posted? I'm getting more confused as to what to buy!

20V Turbo

Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Here's the run-down:

My mother is looking to get a new LCD TV. What I'm trying to do is find one with the following specifications:
<$1,500 (her original budget was only $1,200... I know, I know...)
32" wide-screen
Built-in HD tuner
Something with at least two years warranty

I know it's a big ask, but we managed to get a guy at JB down to $1,650 for a neat Samsung unit (comes with a three year manufacturer's warranty) and has all the above features. I was just wondering whether there is a better place than JB to hunt for a decent deal (we tried Myer, Dick Smith, Harvey Norman, Retravision - all the big expensive places).

There was also a Soniq model for $1,300 but I'm led to believe parts for it are imported from here and there and finally put together in China. So I'm trying to avoid cheaper brands just to put my mother at ease (geeze the ol' duck is stressing about it!)

So any heads up about where is a decent place that has "the best prices" would be great, and I thank you in advance.

Luke
Palsonic , Australian owned , Sharp lcd and Chinese electronics with several years warranty , research it and find a dealer , or one of the inhouse brands at your corner store but get the extended warranty and make sure its a goodone covering all , or wait.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post