Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Centre dash fascia

Well, the Smartbar is on so now it's time to get the fog lights and spotlights wired in and I'd like to put the switches for them in the dash fascia radio/CD player surround just below the rear demister button. I don't want to fumble around in the dark like I did with my EL where I wound up getting the whole consol out before I realised I could get the dash facia out without doing that :, so my question is; what is involved in getting the fascia out so I can get the switches in? Also, what is your opinions on which style of switch best suits the style of the car. I don't want to use the chrome or black toggle switch but the only other switch I've seen is a rather large rectangular rocker switch which I don't really like either. Is there an on/off button available out there and if so, what do I look for ?

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Do a search in the AU section for console or radio removal - you need to get the radio out first, and then undo at least 3 screws, and then the facia pulls off, though heater controls limit how far out it will come.

Switches - try Dick Smith, Jaycar or Tandy (all have online stores), they all sell lots of different switches.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Thanks for that JC, it helped me head in the right direction first time.

I got the radio out after a bit of messing around and discovered the 2 hidden screws behind the radio and the second 2 behind the ashtray then got the facia out far enough to get 2 nice neat round black rocker switches, that I picked up at Dick Smiths, in place just where I wanted them and they look quite good and not at all out of place so I'm a happy chappy......... well I would be except that since I put everything back together and plugged all the wiring back in the little light in the A/C button isn't working any more : . The A/C is still working ok so it's just the light and I guess it's not a real problem but geez it's bl00dy annoying.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 11-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Thanks for that JC, it helped me head in the right direction first time.

I got the radio out after a bit of messing around and discovered the 2 hidden screws behind the radio and the second 2 behind the ashtray then got the facia out far enough to get 2 nice neat round black rocker switches, that I picked up at Dick Smiths, in place just where I wanted them and they look quite good and not at all out of place so I'm a happy chappy......... well I would be except that since I put everything back together and plugged all the wiring back in the little light in the A/C button isn't working any more : . The A/C is still working ok so it's just the light and I guess it's not a real problem but geez it's bl00dy annoying.

Bushbasher
No worries - My A/C light is exactly the same. I'm thinking of just using a pilot light from S/C or repco or somewhere instead - one of these days I'll get around to it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Sorta like this?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

.....Hmmmm, yes and no

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

More like this

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 12-03-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
accurate1

Those little globes in the air conditioning control knobs are a special type and available from Ford spare parts for around $5.00 - $6.00 each.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
More like this
Wow, they look factory. Very nice - do they have a little LED/light to show you when they're on.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

JC, those particular ones don't have an LED as they are only the cheapys from Dick Smith ($3.95 each) but after I bought them and showed them to my auto sparky he pulled out some that look identical but WITH LEDs where the white spot is but they are $9.95. I thought about getting them but figured I didn't need them as one switch is for the Lightforce lights and the other is for the yellow fog lights in the Smartbar and in both cases even a glaucoma sufferer with only one eye could see which lights are on so the LEDs are pretty much redundant :hihi:. Right now I'm trying to figure out how and what I can do to put an icon or small lettering on the switches to distiguish between them (that won't rub off in a week). I've got a mate who does vinyl stickers so I'll ask him if his gear can make me something small enough to fit on the switches but if anyone else has any suggestions I'm all ears.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 12-03-2007, 09:10 AM   #11
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Those little globes in the air conditioning control knobs are a special type and available from Ford spare parts for around $5.00 - $6.00 each.
That's good to know oh accurate1 but how do I get the button out to change the globe or do I have to pull the facia off completely and get at it from the back? I hope not as I had all sorts of headaches trying to deal with that little white clip that holds the air temp knob cable in place.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #12
accurate1

Yes Bushbasher the facia has to come off again to get access to the back of the knobs. That white clip is a problem, I broke it last time.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 11:21 AM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accurate1
Yes Bushbasher the facia has to come off again to get access to the back of the knobs. That white clip is a problem, I broke it last time.
In the end I took the glove box off and disconnected the end of the cable and pulled out the retaining clip so I had enough slack to get the white clip in place before I replaced the facia then reconnected it all at the glovebox end when I was done. I think I'll have a go at the A/C light on tuesday before I put the radio back in cos getting the bl00dy radio out was a pain in the ar$e so I don't want to have to do it again.

Which reminds me, I don't have the code for the radio so will have to go to the dealer for it but last night I tracked down some software that supposedly will decode all of the ford radio codes with serial numbers that start with an A,C,L & M prefix unfortunately my serial number doesn't have a letter prefix AT ALL so I'm stuffed but if anyone wants a copy of the software let me know and I'll hook you up.

Cheers
Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte