Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Default Clunking sound when off the throttle

Well my AU Series 1 Forte is making a clunking sound from the rear of the car when i'm off the throttle, when I put my foot back on the gas the noise disappears. Kinda sounds like its coming from the rear passenger side.

I had a mechanic that said it could be something to do with the handbrake that needed adjustment but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Could be the diff.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Hibbz
The Mod Bug Has Hit

If it makes a single clunk as soon as you come off the throttle that sounds like theres a bit of play in the diff. If its always there when you are off the throttle im not sure then
Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Yep always there
Old 09-04-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

could be anything, had a strange clunking noise in my car when off the throttle which was nothing more then a exhaust bracket. Or it could be soemthing in the driveline. Best off getting on a hoist and having a bit of a look to start with
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine makes a clunk as soon as i come off the throttle, always has since i have owned it. Even after putting the new diff on, its still there. After putting it up on the hoist i managed to work out that its the drivers side rear axle. Found this out by turning the rear wheel while it was up in the air and it made that noise. I guess this is because it originally had an open diff. Not sure if its crucial, but its somewhere to start looking. For me it more irritating than anything else.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

could be the bearing in the rear axel, best off getting it on the hoist and check movement/play in all wheels and listen for any grinding sounds be sure to leave your wheels on for this, as it will make the job a bit easier!!. more often then not, the grinding will be in the front, and movemoent in the back. if it is just a bearing in the rear axel, $30 and 1/2hr labour (if you get it to a mechanic or you have the right tools) if you have to do the front, your looking $80-150 as you need the whole hub assembly. the front is a bit easier to do on the plus side.
good luck, i hope it isnt anything to expensive for you
col

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

lol, it turned out to be something real simple. I've had the car parked and haven't used it for the last couple of days because I didn't want to break anything and we finally got round to checking it today. Anyway the wheel nuts were really loose, I don't know why they came loose or how but that was the problem
Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lucky, nothing like going around a bend and watching a wheel overtake you, and then realising its yours
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #10
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

hahahaha at least it wasnt an expensive fix (although it could have been!!) glad its all sorted though!

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post