Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #1
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

Default changing fuel pump in xr8 pursuit

was shoping today went out to my ute and it wouldn't start well it would start run like a dog for 5 sec and stop do you recon it is a fuel pump, or filter. it seemed to be getting hard to start b4 this happened. also how do tou change the fuel pump? i'm going to attact it tommorow.

Wicked Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

W Pursuit
Check the filter first.Thats easier to change and MAY be the cause,you dont want to pull your tank out to pull the pump out for fun!!!!!
Check your TPS too as this contributed too hard starts in my XR6 but who knows.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

sorry for my ignornce what is TPS i checked the relays
Old 28-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

throttle position sensor
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

cheers i dont think its that but cause it still starts kinda if the throttle is depressed it wont fire at all i was told.
Old 29-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #6
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

easiest way to do a fuel pump in a AU or BA ute is to remove the tub liner
then undrill the spot welds in the floor panel above the fuel tank.
bend floor up carefully , remember you need to put it back down!!. so be neat!
change fuel pump (and check the plugs as they can fail aslo) then bend floor back down and rivet back into place,
replace tubliner and your done

this way it can be done in about 1hr and you dont need a hoist.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

thankx i'll remember that for next time i did it the hard way. Which worked out ok cause the tank was full of rubbish. the hard way is remove exhust, remove tailshaft, undo axle U bolts slide axle back so the tank would clear every thing took me 5 hrs all up. your way sounds lots better
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #8
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

you wouldn't beleave it my ute bailed me up again it,s doing the same thing well nealry it started went about 5m then stoped but this time it wont fire any ideas please help
Old 10-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Did you use any fuel hose inside the tank to attach the new pump? If so possible wrong hose was used.There is special hose to be submerged in fuel,ordinary EFI hose will swell...Just an idea....
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #10
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

i used a stock pump so it all just cliped in the existing pipes etc
Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Ok ,just a thought.Is the pump working ,when you first turn the key on for a few secs?
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:17 PM   #12
toyotaxr8

you haven't crushed a fuel line under the ute have you?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Wicked Pursuit
WIK13D

i got in it this morning and i started. i went up the road and it stalled (it's a auto) got it to go again but it was running ruff. i had to go to work so i left it got in it this afternoon and it ran like a dream any ideas. remerbering i neilry flatenerd thebattrey yesterday trying to start it after it stoped