Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
plzhelpmeiamnew
illiterate with cars

Default Is making the swap to xenon simple?

I need to replace my head lights and my AU is blue so i was thinking xenon would look nicer then the normal headlights. Before i head into autobarn and buy a box of philips xenon's, is it as simple as it sounds, just swap over the globes with these new xenons?

And what are HID kits, i think i read someone bought one in a previous thread.
Thank you to any response following this thread.

plzhelpmeiamnew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

you cant just put xenon bulbs into normal headlights, youd have to do the HID conversion. Philips do a good one which I have seen fitted to a BA falcon (was their rep's car) and it worked brilliantly, but it is illegal as most aftermarket xenon kits are (too bright). It's also around the $1k mark, so not a cheap mod.

If you want good, legal replacement bulbs that have a blue tinge to them, try Philips GT150 "Power-2-Night" bulbs. I have them in mine and they are a nice bright but usable beam with a blue tinge to it - basically makes the entire headlight look pretty blue. All legal though and I havent been pulled up yet. For AU's the PN is 12342PR.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought xenon was just the gas they used in the globes? HID's are completely different, but i'm sure xenons are the same as normal globes, with a different gas...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the xenon bulbs you refer to are the ready made bolt in replacements that are actually a halogen globe with xenon gas mixed to give a brighter burn and blue effect.
As for the HID I fitted them and they are a fair bit of alteration and was a big cost. At the end of the day the reflector and the housing are not designed to take that type of globe and the light spreads differently and no matter how low you adjust your lights you will be giving people the s**ts and with them aimed right down you lose any advantage and cant see any more anyway. I ripped them out and went back to halogen plus 50's. In my fourby I have ones from KMart called platinums and they look like they are chrome coated and in the car give off the multi coloured spectrum from different angles if thats what your looking for and they were only about $25 for the pair H4's.
Hope some of this helped.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

im doing a propper HID retrofit into my custom headlights - this is where you take the xenon system out of a set of xenon headlights, and install everything into your own. (mine is a hybrid system using lexus balasts with honda accord euro projectors).
check the link in my sig, there will be updates very soon - ive almost completed them

to be 100% legal, you need to have an electronic headlight adjusting system, and a headlight cleaning system.....hella do universal retrofitable kits for these, which i'd love to implement later on, but it will be the most costly part of the whole setup.

it really isnt as simple as getting one of those cheap xenon kits off ebay, throwing it all in and saying yep, ive got xenon headlights....

ive been there and done that, and now im doing it properly
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
I think the xenon bulbs you refer to are the ready made bolt in replacements that are actually a halogen globe with xenon gas mixed to give a brighter burn and blue effect.
As for the HID I fitted them and they are a fair bit of alteration and was a big cost. At the end of the day the reflector and the housing are not designed to take that type of globe and the light spreads differently and no matter how low you adjust your lights you will be giving people the s**ts and with them aimed right down you lose any advantage and cant see any more anyway. I ripped them out and went back to halogen plus 50's. In my fourby I have ones from KMart called platinums and they look like they are chrome coated and in the car give off the multi coloured spectrum from different angles if thats what your looking for and they were only about $25 for the pair H4's.
Hope some of this helped.
Did exactly the same as you ... I got rid of them as well.

I am back to Halogen Narva PLUS 50s ... much better/bright beam than the Phillips Crystal Vision (light output is better) ... and I am using projectors in my AU headlights ... and they are even better (custom though).

I'd love to do what MADNC_8 is doing to his headlights ... but I just don't have the time and the patience to fiddle with it.

After testing extensively with difference globes .... side-by-side (different globes in each light to compare) ... the PLUS 50s were the better globe for me.

They don't have the "blue look" ... but on a country road ... the light outoput was better ... also the Phillips globes kept blowing on me whereas the Narvas are still going strong at now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Yes Ive tried the 'blue' globes as well, and whilst I find them great, they dont appear to last as long.....
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post