Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
AU1 XR6
AU1 XR6

Default Chiptorque

Hey,
Was looking on the chiptorque website and was thinking about getting a chip from them for my AU1 XR6... just wondering if anyone has one on there au? and what sort of results did you get?
I have a dev 5 cam and valve springs, Pacemaker 4499's, high flow cat, 2.5" exhuast and K&N pod already and was looking for a chip to give it a little bit more go and run bit smoother as it can run a bit rough on a hot day with the dev 5 cam...

Cheers,

AU1 XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got a j3 in mine ,it ran real well with the ported head ,and a decent cam.
is your car auto or manual ?
if your car is a manual the i recomend going for the j3 it will give you the same results as the edit.
but if your car is an auto ,go for the edit.there's quite a few guy's on here that have it and had excellent results.
also,i'm not sure if anyones doing the edit up here yet.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chiptorque is old news get a capppa flash tuner. No installaition , no wires to cut / join just plug it in and flash you can get some generic tunes when u buy it or get a custom tune
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
chiptorque is old news get a capppa flash tuner. No installaition , no wires to cut / join just plug it in and flash you can get some generic tunes when u buy it or get a custom tune

There is no generic tune for the AU, you will need to get it custom tuned.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
Nik
Starter Motor

chiptorque will fit a j3 and custom dyno tune it for $995 .its a fair bit cheaper than the edit.
with the j3 they don't cut any wires either.it just plugs into your j3 [port on your ecu.
+ for the j3 they can correct your speedo, edit can't
- j3 can't remove the torque tabs on an auto ,edit can.

sorry i didn't realise nik was still logged in
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'd love to know how the J3 plug can fix a speed when the edit cant. Effectively they work on the same principle.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I'd love to know how the J3 plug can fix a speed when the edit cant. Effectively they work on the same principle.
The answer is they don't.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
The answer is they don't.
: I know they cant change speedo's. I've had a unichip, a J3 chiptorque and an edit, none of them can change the AU's speedo reading.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah yeah yeah,to many beers on a saturday arvo.
my mistake,i should have said chiptorque can do the speedo correction while your there if you want.at a price though.

are there any shops up here doing the edit yet?
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
: I know they cant change speedo's. I've had a unichip, a J3 chiptorque and an edit, none of them can change the AU's speedo reading.
I know that you know, I was just pointing it out again. :
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
The Mighty Red

So what does the EDIT do that the Chiptorque can't ?
Old 05-05-2007, 06:40 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
yeah yeah yeah,to many beers on a saturday arvo.
my mistake,i should have said chiptorque can do the speedo correction while your there if you want.at a price though.

are there any shops up here doing the edit yet?
Too many beers is a valid excuse. I think what you meant is that the J3 can adjust shift points once new speedo gear is installed (or if the Jaycar speedo correction unit). If thats the case then the edit can do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Blue XR6
So what does the EDIT do that the Chiptorque can't ?
The Edit can do a lot more with the auto than the J3 can. It can also allow you to have 3 tunes + factory tune. Usually one for road use, race use (as in seriously on the edge), Valet use (no going over say 3000rpm or so) and of course the factory tune.
The edit now has a multitude of people tuning it in almost all states meaning you can pick and choose who is going to tune your car, quite often your proffered "go-fast" shop where you know them and they know you. The J3's choices are much, MUCH more limited with Lachlan being the only person that I'd say has a true handle on its intricate fine tuning.
Finally the edit is undetectable with the human eye, even at close inspection. The J3 plug is visible if you want to get up close and personal. Not that big a deal unless the car is in an accident and the insurance inspectors are looking for an excuse to nail you and get out of paying.

All that said though the J3 is still a very capable piece of kit that was the best choice for flexibility and options (if not overall results) until the edit arrive. Unfortunately for it now the Edit is simply head and shoulders above anything else out there now. At least in my experiences.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is no generic tune for the AU, you will need to get it custom tuned.
there are a number of generic tunes available and although not as good as a custom tune they will still give signicant improvemants providing your car has only basic mods ( extractors and cat back for example) most capa suppliers will provide you with these pre loaded on your flash tuner. but if your mods are more ambitious you really need a custom tune
Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #14
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
there are a number of generic tunes available and although not as good as a custom tune they will still give signicant improvemants providing your car has only basic mods ( extractors and cat back for example) most capa suppliers will provide you with these pre loaded on your flash tuner. but if your mods are more ambitious you really need a custom tune
Bob Romano which is a highly respected tuning house in Brisbane assured me me I would need a custom tune on my AU XR6 because the inbuilt generic tunes in the flash tuner only worked on the BA/BF models.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bob Romano which is a highly respected tuning house in Brisbane assured me me I would need a custom tune on my AU XR6 because the inbuilt generic tunes in the flash tuner only worked on the BA/BF models.
yes that is right but most suppliers have fairly basic tunes from previous jobs that they can load on for simple applications that is true here anyhow
Old 05-05-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too many beers is a valid excuse. I think what you meant is that the J3 can adjust shift points once new speedo gear is installed (or if the Jaycar speedo correction unit). If thats the case then the edit can do that too.

The Edit can do a lot more with the auto than the J3 can. It can also allow you to have 3 tunes + factory tune. Usually one for road use, race use (as in seriously on the edge), Valet use (no going over say 3000rpm or so) and of course the factory tune.
The edit now has a multitude of people tuning it in almost all states meaning you can pick and choose who is going to tune your car, quite often your proffered "go-fast" shop where you know them and they know you. The J3's choices are much, MUCH more limited with Lachlan being the only person that I'd say has a true handle on its intricate fine tuning.
Finally the edit is undetectable with the human eye, even at close inspection. The J3 plug is visible if you want to get up close and personal. Not that big a deal unless the car is in an accident and the insurance inspectors are looking for an excuse to nail you and get out of paying.

All that said though the J3 is still a very capable piece of kit that was the best choice for flexibility and options (if not overall results) until the edit arrive. Unfortunately for it now the Edit is simply head and shoulders above anything else out there now. At least in my experiences.
this is the reply that explains everthing (casper i take it you havn't had a beer this arvo )
: :
Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
this is the reply that explains everthing (casper i take it you havn't had a beer this arvo )
: :
Not when I wrote that.. but as of about 40 minutes ago, well, ....