Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Premium Sound Parcel Shelf

I was having a look under the shelf in my falcon today, and i noticed that there does not seem to be fittings for a sub woofer as with premium sound. It has the hole in the bodywork and all, but the plastic top cover is solid over the hole. Does this mean that if i want to put a sub in there, i need to get a shelf cover from an AU fitted with Premium sound? Has anyone done this in a standard falcon?

Evan

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an 8" sub fitted in the factory location on mine. The shelf being closed over doesn't affect the sound all that much.

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 03:36 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that XR Lita. Does the shelf vibrate much from the bass? My guess is that you have to remove the shelf to fit the woofer in?
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah Classic, it bolts in from the boot, just like the speakers. There is a bit of sound proofing above the hole that needs to come out. That's it. If you like you can find a premium sound parcel shelf then go for it, but I don't think it'd make much difference...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The shelf doesn't vibrate at all...The boot does though LOL

Like Stumpy said, I mounted it up from underneath in the boot.

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
TCK-098

Got premuim sound standard in mine the grill cover is a ***** trying to get back on straight after replacing the dismal factory items.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
Nah Classic, it bolts in from the boot, just like the speakers. There is a bit of sound proofing above the hole that needs to come out. That's it. If you like you can find a premium sound parcel shelf then go for it, but I don't think it'd make much difference...
No actually, they are bolted down from the top so you do have to remove the rear parcel shelf to access the security screws to remove the speakers. I just used a socket to remove the screws, worked perfectly. I no longer have a 15inch sub and full on boot install because I now require the boot space. I now installed a 10inch DLS free air sub underneath the parcle shelf (using 12mm MDF as a spacer) and it fires into the cabin through the factory premium sound subwoofer parcel shelf grill. I am actually suprised just at how good it sounds!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well mate, mine bolts up from underneath... But each to his own... For the record, it sounds like you have bolted yours up from the top because you have a bigger sub that you want unobstructed. Mine is a stealth install, unless you look from the boot you'd never know it was there. I will rephrase my original post just for you though mate.

They CAN be bolted up from underneath, just make sure you remove the sound proofing in between the the metal shelf and the carpeted bizo that's on top of it.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #9
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah it is a little hard to describe. The factory original is bolted from the top (cabin side). I had the premium factory sound. Due to not wanting to cut any metal, I made a mdf spacer and mounted the sub and spacer underneath (boot side) of the parcel shelf. The sub being free air has a massive magnet that does hang done a bit, I can just squeeze a suitcase between the bottom of the magnet and the boot floor.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine's also a 10".... That's why I mounted it the way i did... Used the orginal holes, one self-drilling screw into the parcel shelf where the hole don't marry up, and it's all good....
Old 08-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #11
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarby
yeah it is a little hard to describe. The factory original is bolted from the top (cabin side). I had the premium factory sound. Due to not wanting to cut any metal, I made a mdf spacer and mounted the sub and spacer underneath (boot side) of the parcel shelf. The sub being free air has a massive magnet that does hang done a bit, I can just squeeze a suitcase between the bottom of the magnet and the boot floor.
must be one hell of a big suitcase either that or the speaker has a huge @r5e!!!:P

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like there are a few different ways to go about it. I did take the covers off the back speakers and they are dropped in from the top and bolted down with some weird looking ford screws. I am only wanting to put a sub in there to fill the sound a bit as i am selling the car anyway. Just thought it would be nice to have it ready to go for the next owner, rather than rip all my gear out and leave nothing. I think i might give XR Lita's idea a try and just whack a sub under the existing shelf and see how it sounds.

Evan