Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Addz
Starter Motor

Default AU2 LPG conversion

After getting tonnes of different advice from different gas resellers I can't decide on what gas system to get. It would be awesome if I could get some different advice from people who have LPG in there AUs

Addz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what are the differences you've found with the different systems? my AU2 is factory gas (or so i think, supposed to have tickford on the plate but if i remember correctly it doesn't. does have the green rocker cover though.) as for economy, i don't really get better economy (about 320 on the XF out of 65L and 450 out of 80L in the AU) i suppose you should be expecting about the same. there is plenty of power, but i havent ever driven another au manual before so hard to tell.

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont have gas on my car but i no a fair bit about it (IE; im a licenced gas fitter) these days the only way to go is a vapour injection set up..it is dearer but alot better more power & economy and no back firing..alot smoother you cant even notice the difference when its running on gas at all....also have look section on this forum it might help ya out...

Last edited by waggaclint; 15-07-2007 at 08:31 PM.
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i serviced mine when i first got it and replaced the ordinary spark plugs with the iridium ones, made a hell of a difference to how smooth it ran, they cost significantly more even at trade price ($90 odd) but if you can afford an au you can afford to run it so it's really no drama. waggaclint your a licensed gas fitter and you drive a falcon but don't have gas, how come?

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 15-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
i serviced mine when i first got it and replaced the ordinary spark plugs with the iridium ones, made a hell of a difference to how smooth it ran, they cost significantly more even at trade price ($90 odd) but if you can afford an au you can afford to run it so it's really no drama. waggaclint your a licensed gas fitter and you drive a falcon but don't have gas, how come?
slightly o/t but you should have got your plugs from toyota, go to the denso website to get the part no, they are only about $6 or so each
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
slightly o/t but you should have got your plugs from toyota, go to the denso website to get the part no, they are only about $6 or so each
Really? oh well, i got them through my work from repco, i get everything at trade price and my boss doesn't charge labour, he usually does the work in the end because he generally wants me to do some other work. either way for what i spent on them i'm happy, but thanks for the info ill remember that for next time...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 15-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #7
Addz
Starter Motor

thanks I don't think i can afford the vapor injection system but i can't decide what brand to go for every salesperson i speak to gives me different pros and cons
Addz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

i have a series 2 wagon...my power run differences are in my signature. i run conventional system (inline mixer) yes, they are prone to backfires, but if you keep your services up and keep an eye on leads, plugs and air filter, there shouldnt be too much of a problem. but as mentioned before, SVI (although around the 4K mark) eliminates backfiring as the gas injectors are plumed in close to the intake of the individual cylinders, close to petrol injector location. the LPG forums may help with more advice, but i have found most people are happy with impco.....install and forget. my system is tunable meaning i can get the best performance and economy possible for an inline system. if you go with the inline system, make sure that your installer does dyno tunning with a gas analyser for the best results.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #9
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
waggaclint your a licensed gas fitter and you drive a falcon but don't have gas, how come?
havnt owned the car very long might fit it up one day.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have two AUs both on gas.

One I've had on gas for 15 months, Impco and I've had no dramas.

The other, the factory dual fuel option for the S1, has had a lot of issues, new converter and stepper motor problems and now (after removing the stepper motor and installing a power valve, I've had tuning issues which I've still not got 100% on top of.

I would go the impco.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2sw
i have a series 2 wagon...my power run differences are in my signature. i run conventional system (inline mixer) yes, they are prone to backfires, but if you keep your services up and keep an eye on leads, plugs and air filter, there shouldnt be too much of a problem. but as mentioned before, SVI (although around the 4K mark) eliminates backfiring as the gas injectors are plumed in close to the intake of the individual cylinders, close to petrol injector location. the LPG forums may help with more advice, but i have found most people are happy with impco.....install and forget. my system is tunable meaning i can get the best performance and economy possible for an inline system. if you go with the inline system, make sure that your installer does dyno tunning with a gas analyser for the best results.
i'm considering it for my au, svi that is, just gotta get the money, because being in WA, we get 2 rebates, the $2k fed govt one, and a $1k wa govt one as well....
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post