Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Is this the end?

After so much care and work into the wagon I have discovered my lsd is single spinning ..again. I am not really intersted in doing it again. I first had it done in 2005. It weent wsid and was single spinning.I gave my diff builder benfit of the doubt and paid him to redo it back to lsd. I have not done one burnout since retightening the unit.At wsid last wednesday I had issues with wheelspin. Flat tyres due to a faulty pressure gauge was what I thought was the problem. Today I wash the car to see rubber from my mickey tompsons only on the right side.The left gaurd was perfectly clean. I am over this. refuse to pay for another diff .Mods stop here.It would cost me 900 dollars to go elsewhere for the centre....i am not sure where I want to go from here. I will just race it one more time and retire it.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question

You have certainly ridden many ups and downs with the modding of the wagon Stav. Whether you spend anymore cash on the wagon, or run it down the strip again is your decision.

I guess you need to have it clearly in mind what your aims are, and if they are worth the considerable time, effort and cash to meet those aims.

All the best with your deliberations.

Cheers mate,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thanks man.I appreciate that. I have 2 ways of thinking.I can redo the diff for 900 and not go forward .It is a loose lsd that single spun at the track. Or I can complete my final planned mods for $900 and have more power and ignore the diff.I still managed a 2.098 60 footer with a single spinner so I am thinking stuff the diff and diff builders. IfI do mod another car in future then I will get one out of an lsd equipped car.My dads 1993 fairlane has a tighter original lsd diff.The price from the wreckers was around 400 from memory.I should have done this.I have fitted diffs to a few cars years ago.I probably would have been better off. Diff conversoions are way way to overpiced.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 15-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

i have another option too. I can open a bank account and deposit my first 900 dollars towards a typhoon. By the time I have the money they would be selling for 20 to 25 k.Especially with the release of the new ford.

Old 15-07-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about a diff locker? one like the rtv's have, where you have a button to turn it on and off, i'm sure a single spinner won't make that much difference on the street, just activate the locker for the track....? just a thought
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
what about a diff locker? one like the rtv's have, where you have a button to turn it on and off, i'm sure a single spinner won't make that much difference on the street, just activate the locker for the track....? just a thought
I know of 3 mates that have those RTV's and between them they are upto 7 waranty diffs.. It must be a pile of poop, they don't give there work cars a hard time as the downtime costs them $$..

Look at the Lokka unit from 4wd systems Stav, $600 ... There are a bucket load of threads in the E'series about them or PM Rollin. he is over the moon with his compared to the junker BW LSD

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
I know of 3 mates that have those RTV's and between them they are upto 7 waranty diffs.. It must be a pile of poop, they don't give there work cars a hard time as the downtime costs them $$..

Look at the Lokka unit from 4wd systems Stav, $600 ... There are a bucket load of threads in the E'series about them or PM Rollin. he is over the moon with his compared to the junker BW LSD
i didn't actually mean the setup from an rtv, i meant the way it works, with an on / off switch not locked all the time like a spooled diff
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 01:13 PM   #8
Fast VRX

Lockrite or Detroit locker, lock's under load, legal, cheaper than LSD's but they make your car understeer while cornering hard, the guys at QR raceway warn everyone with mini-spools or detroits not to get on it early when exiting corners for that reason.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thats shocking luck going through an other LSD so quickly Stav, its hardly been in there more than a few months. Might be time to look at a diff locker.
I will say though that when I tried running M/T's on mine it was not healthy for the diff. They had so much grip that even doing a warm up burnout was stressing the diff to the maximum.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Stav
Smile

Shocking isnt the word for it mate.It just gets a bit ridiculous. I am thinking about using slicks for my next run to see how well the car will go. A great deal has come my way on a set so I am going to buy them. If I can get a 2.098 60 footer with single spinner then the slicks may help improve the times.
I cant be bothered doing up the suspension.It has been done and it seems the lies come in thick n fast from some of these popular shops.They want big money but generally give big b/s.. I got lowered rear springs a while back and the back end is bottoming out. I can buy 3 dollars of balloons and pop them with a greater effect on my cars performance.Alot cheaper and at least I know its just air coming out of them.
The diff will be staying single spinner.I refuse to spend one more dollar to fix what has been done 2 times.I wont get caught a third time.

Old 15-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know how you feel mate,after another outing at WB last night. when i was pumping the tyres back up my car .i noticed it only only had shreaded rubber on the right hand side to.the left side was spotless.
i'd be a bit p'd off to if i was you after getting it redone recently.
Old 15-07-2007, 03:19 PM   #12
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
.Mods stop here.It would cost me 900 dollars to go elsewhere for the centre....i am not sure where I want to go from here. I will just race it one more time and retire it.
Stav does that mean your avatar pic goes from a scorned cat to a pussy ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Stav
Smile

Still a scalded cat DOC. The car is the best it has ever been to drive.As far as a street ford wagon I cant say I have enjoyed driving any other car better.It is still very enjoyable and responsive. It is very suited as a performance daily driver street car. Press the accelerator and it is goodbye Charlie.I have achieved this much from the lethargic standard performance in the beginning. It is still a 14 second car with more mph so the power mods have worked .
As for pussy...even if it was every red blooded bloke still would like it. : hehe

Old 15-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you might be interested in the torsen site stav, , they don`t have clutches to wear out like a lsd it is a constant mechanical thing, i don`t know if there is a torsen to the au or not anyway but here is the link. http://www.torsen.com/products/products.htm
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Feel your pain Stav, every Ford or Holden I've had with an LSD has turned to catctus in no time.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #16
AUTickford
XD197

Get the preload springs and the cone clutches for 180 as a set and redo it yourself.I just wished this many people replied to my post about lsd probs??
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 10:00 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTickford
I just wished this many people replied to my post about lsd probs??
Have some patience mate, you only posted it an hour ago! Oh, and I've replied :
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

The lsd is loose lsd guys. I think the tyres will tell a story for sure.The car is a monster to drive on the street and acceleration is fantastic.The track is nothing like the street performance car. However it seems to be a benchmark for performance. Last week at the track my 60 footers were as bad as 2.89. Just by playng with tyre pressures I got a 2.109 60 footer. The timing board failed to record 1000 foot or 1/4 mile on this last run. The et was on par for a 14.5 to 14.4 .This is .4 quicker than the best recorded time of the night. The car had the same power but ranged from .8 to .3 seconds quicker just by the pressures.I dont think the diff will make such a big difference. I am going to go back soon and just explode the wagon across the starting line. It is time to set some records straight.

It is highly likely and very probable that my prior setup with the dev 4 cam,3.73 diff stallie and tune could have done alot better times without my dash for more power.14.773 and a month later back to back 14.8's. It seems that tyre pressures are far more important to a better et than more power some times. People try to fault lack of power for poor et's but if dam pressures can make such a huge difference then guys should be concentrating on this first. It would have been nice to have a great lsd but thats racing!!

Old 15-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

i think you need a new diff builder stav.
Old 16-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #20
AUTickford
XD197

Yeah cool if the lsd is loose it means the preload springs are rooted as are the cone clutches,rendering the lsd inoperable, simple.But hey 180 compared to 900 whos counting its not my wallet
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Well it wont be long before I go for the title of quickest non lsd au six.

Old 16-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #22
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Well it wont be long before I go for the title of quickest non lsd au six.
Thats a title? Actually, you probably already are. Most of us run LSD's now.

Old 16-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #23
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=96630

this is something i threw together - Caspers above example is right on - even a Pro built LSD will not cop Drag racing....

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower

this is something i threw together - Caspers above example is right on - even a Pro built LSD will not cop Drag racing....
Yep, that was/is a good read Chris and for anyone wanting their LSD to live more than one session well worth reading. Although the I6's do not have the massive power of the Boss cars it all applies the same and, in some cases, more so. The shock loading coming out of the wet onto the dry, ESPECIALLY with M/T's, is massive.

Old 16-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower

thanks Chris mate .I have read that.I havent done even one burnout. The lsd went single spinner prior to being at the track and by normal driving.I had not done even one burnout since it got redone.

Old 16-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #26
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Yep, that was/is a good read Chris and for anyone wanting their LSD to live more than one session well worth reading. Although the I6's do not have the massive power of the Boss cars it all applies the same and, in some cases, more so. The shock loading coming out of the wet onto the dry, ESPECIALLY with M/T's, is massive.
The mt have gone hard mate.Thats another reason they were spinning.

Old 16-07-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thats a title? Actually, you probably already are. Most of us run LSD's now.
Haahha a title doesnt mean much now does it. All that matters is getting quicker.For a nion workshop backed battler i think I havent done to bad at all.

I am pleased with the progress.My reaction time of 0.0000 at wsid and 960 dollars was a bonus.

Old 16-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #28
TCK-098

Diff conversions are way way to overpiced.

Hence why ill get around buying My L.S.D from a wreckers and not from a workshop as they will both go boom from getting a thrashing and im not in a real rush for a limo as id rather the flashtune first.

Ah the joy of workshops and overheads i love it not..... :
Old 17-07-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Stav, atleast spend the $50 and couple of hours on a mini spool (just for you're last run).
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post