Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
ac351
XY fan

Default Recolouring Seatbelts

Was wondering if anybody knows of a good dye to use to recolour seatbelts. The belts in my XY have faded and I attempted to recolour them using a black DYLON dye, but it just seemed to wash out and didn't darken the black colour at all.

ac351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to see you started this thread, i have blue seatbelts and i need to dye them tan/brown, i know theres vinyl paint, but i dont think that would work to well....
XR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
shane3
FPV GT 0915

If they are that old that they have faded I would recommend getting new seat belts as the fibers in the old belts degrade and become brittle, not good in a accident
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #4
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

actualy I want to do this too. I need to turn my grey belts to blue to match the retrim in progress.
Old 15-07-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
MRJUCY
Fordless

You can buy belts in just about any colour you want & is probably a worthwhile investment for safety & piece of mind.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

anyone else, i heard food dye might work
Old 16-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
irsa76
Snoopping

Just buy new ones. Alot easier. Besides, seatbelts are supposed to be replaced every 10 years or so apparently.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #8
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gt ford performance does recoed seat belts

www.fomoco.com.au
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #9
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gt performance is 125 rears and 175 front i think...
id rather pay tops of $30 for dye
Old 16-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
ac351
XY fan

GT Ford Performance quoted $185 per belt exchange ($370 for a front set), which is a bit of coin especially if you are looking for a colour change only. There should be some sort of heavy duty fabric dye that would work. I'm not sure what sort of fabric the old seat belts are made of or what dye is compatible.
ac351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a hole in my airbag and I know they're going to sting me for a replacement so does anyone know a good quality glue I can use to repair the hole?
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
I've got a hole in my airbag and I know they're going to sting me for a replacement so does anyone know a good quality glue I can use to repair the hole?
Just use masking tape. That should hold.

I recently took a car for a RWC check in vic and the mechanic said that colouring seatbelts was illegal. Or maybe thats just how I heard it.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
Justin@
Banned

Quote:

that is gold
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-351
anyone else, i heard food dye might work
Like to see you use any dye, then drive the car in a white shirt on a hot day and not still be wearing the seatbelt when you get out.

Dont scrimp on safety. I would think that any dye that will totally impregnate the webbing and be colourfast would be something that would compromise the strength of the webbing.

It's like people getting a cig lighter and burning the edges of frayed seatbelts for a rwc. Dodgy.

Plus i think a $30 home dye job, will look like a $30 home dye job. If it was in my pride and joy i'd much prefer to spend a few extra bucks and have it look the goods. But if you can get a dye that wont compromise the strength of the belt webbing, and looks like a bought one, then good score.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #15
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
About $3...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-351
gt performance is 125 rears and 175 front i think...
id rather pay tops of $30 for dye
Yep the $270 you save can go towards reconstructive surgery on your face when you bury it in the dash.
You know you can re-tread your tyres too. Save a fortune. Come to think of it, dunny paper has two sides........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys guys guys, you want to change the colour of your seat belts to match your retrim etc???? so you dont mind spending money on a re trim toss in the little extra and get new belts its not that expencive, shop arround nice new black ones are only arround 75 a belt coloured ones are a bit more pricy but I'd rather know there right than have the extra $$ in my pocet in the event of a hit

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep the $270 you save can go towards reconstructive surgery on your face when you bury it in the dash.
You know you can re-tread your tyres too. Save a fortune. Come to think of it, dunny paper has two sides........
:
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Its illegal to dye seat belts as it is a clear indication they are worn. Yes, they need replacement every 10 years. Do you think of all the podantic roadworthy rules we have to comply to that this isn't on the top off the list.
Old 17-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #20
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Guys guys guys, you want to change the colour of your seat belts to match your retrim etc???? so you dont mind spending money on a re trim toss in the little extra and get new belts its not that expencive, shop arround nice new black ones are only arround 75 a belt coloured ones are a bit more pricy but I'd rather know there right than have the extra $$ in my pocet in the event of a hit
dude, my retrim is a home job, so other than carpet, I aint forkin out any more than the cost of materials. sure it takes time, but, oh well, id rather spend time then my hard earned coin.

I havnt seen any blue seatbelts anywhere other than harness style. seen plenty in black, but its not what Im after.

if theres seatbelts that come out pre-coloured that are strong enough, then thier obviously using something to dye them thats not impairing strength - (they dont grow blue cotton, or sheer blue sheep lol).

"dying seatbelts is illegal", pffft, so is everything. painting your car could be just as dangerous and impair structural integrity - if you paint it in acid!
saying that dying them is an indication of wear is rediculous - you could dye brand spankers, the fact that thier died means nothing - and hows a cop to know anyway!

Im not after a way to do it that will impair strength, and I doubt the thread poster is either, but if youve got a blue car that your happy with, and the only thing you want changed is the colour, most people will get a respray instead of a new car. - on that note, im happy with my belts, just not the colour, and if I can avoid buying new ones, I will
Old 17-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #21
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agreed, my interior hasnt even been re-trimed just came without the right colour seat belts...
i doubt any body on here has changed there seat belts after 10 years anyway