Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #61
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Citizens on patrol............
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #62
MeLLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSex
Why do you feel the need to point out he's a P plater? Working for the Daily Telegraph?

People do stupid sh!t no matter what their age. With young blokes it's more often than not speed..but I'll tell you that I've had more close calls with old folk who simply don't know the road rules or who are un-aware of their surroundings than I've had with P platers speeding.

Give it a break.

(btw - I'm not a P plater....)
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
I would have pulled up and laughed at him and called him a few names.

The old man did a brilliant one a wile back, same sort of thing, except they flew up the outside then cut in front of him and kept going, then they got stuck at lights.

The old man pulled up a a car behind them, got out of his car walked up and stuck his badge thou the open drivers window, Followed by "Evening **** head, you going to slow down now or would you prefer for me to call my mates in Traffic and have ya car impounded you bunch of **** **** ***** **** Morons." LOL

HAHAHAAH classic, but that happened to a friend of mine like 4 years ago... I was in the car at the time & she was driving in and out of traffic and doing like 90 and got caught at some lights and this car came up alongside her, put his window down and said "OI" she looked over and there was a nice shiny badge staring back at her....! He threatened her a couple of times with a fine and when the light went green he wouldnt let her go because he hadnt finished his rant yet...But at the end of it he let her go with a "warning"...
It was hilarious thou, she didnt speed after that hahaha

B**** with Boost

Last edited by MeLLy; 27-07-2007 at 02:10 PM.
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #63
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember once some morons abusing a mormon when he was riding past a major shopping centre up here with his bible and tie on .

Three blokes went past him racially vilified him spat on him and threw drinks and bottles at him called him all the names under the the sun .

Karma stepped in 200 metres up the road the light went red the mormon caught them and his fist went through the open back window then the open front window the 3 blokes got out and he flogged them this was the middle of the day .

When the police arrived the guys in the car wanted to lay assault charges .

The police explained in no uncertain terms how stupid these three blokes were and with what they had done to the mormon they would end up in court and on the front page of the paper and probabaly in the national media .

They didnt lay any charges .

It would have been entertaining watching skinny guys with flannelete shirts and mullets fighting a young clean cut samoan mormon with a head about the size of a basketball.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #64
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
even the Stig could lose it
He did - in the new koensiegg

Good work XBCoupeGuy, I would love to have that opportunity (if no-one was hurt), I would do the same thing.

Lot of great stories here. It just goes to show - what comes around goes around.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #65
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Hi all,

I haven't been on the forum since posting my initial story and thought I'd see if my post got any responses. Wow 63 replies at the moment and almost all in the positive. Thank you. To be honest I did expect to get a few more negative comments.

I'll just respond to a few issues that were raised in some of those replies. I'm not trying to defend my actions or criticise anyone. Just a few answers or comments to points raised.

Someone asked why I felt it necessary to mention that both drivers were P platers.

Well I'm not really sure if I actually had any reason behind this other than it was the truth and it was something I noticed (as they sped past me right at the beginning of the story). I guess I am like many older people though (I'm 39) as I do tend to tar many P platers with the same brush. We know not all of them are idiots but unfortunately many are and I guess that sticks in our minds. No disrespect meant to P platers in general - just those silly ones. :-)

Someone also mentioned that they have had more near misses with elderly drivers than P platers.

Yes I've had my share of close calls with elderly people who probably shouldn't be on the road anymore. However.. I don't recall any of these senior citizens racing other vehicles on public roads, driving at high speeds, bullying other drivers, smoking it up from the lights or getting it sideways around corners etc. :-)
The risk of serious injury or death is certainly increased when high speeds are involved so I certainly class the doddery old farts as less of a risk.

As a side note, my grandmother was killed in a road accident at the age of 75 when she failed to give way prior to crossing National Highway 1 just outside of Port Pirie (SA). Luckily the driver of the truck that hit her was not injured but had it been another car instead of a truck, the circumstances may have been different so I do accept that they are a risk but I believe the high speed drivers are more of a risk.

Someone else mentioned older drivers that tail gate and speed etc.

Yes they certainly are out there. I'm a real stickler for sticking to the speed limit and I am always amazed at the number of women who speed. They are not hooning or racing but they are certainly over the limit. I personally think they just aren't all that aware that they are speeding. It's almost as if they don't watch the speedo and just think because they are not racing or hooning that they are not speeding. My mum learnt that the hard way. 73 in a 60 zone and didn't even realise what speed she was doing. They get so indignant when they are pulled over too.

Another question was - Did the Falcon win? No. The pole won. :-)
But yes, he did appear to be winning prior to that however the Jap car was an older model. Nothing worth bragging about beating that's for sure.

Someone suggested I should have just driven past and called him names etc.

Well as I was sitting there waiting for the cops to arrive a car load of young lads in a VR/VS Commodore went past real slow and hung heaps of crap on him for being a Ford driver etc. They were laughing their heads off and having a real good chuckle at his expense. Pretty funny actually.

I also asked the driver if it was his car or his parents and he said it was his. He actually seemed like a pretty decent young lad. He was quite polite and apologetic and this is what actually caused me to wonder if I did do the right thing later. If he had given me a bit of attitude I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

I'm not sure what his insurance company will do in this case. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has been charged with driving offences after an accident and how their insurance company viewed this.

To the guy who questioned my idea of extremely high speed. Point taken. I think it was more a case of his speed being twice that of the other cars on the road. A sure recipe for disaster. It was a 70 zone by the way. His speed was definitely inappropriate and excessive for that stretch of road.

Someone else mentioned that they wouldn't have moved over for him.

Normally that would be my course of action but when I saw this guy approaching from behind it was obvious that unless I moved over that he was going to hit me. This is the thing that annoyed me the most. He had absolutely no chance of pulling up in time so I accelerated and moved over to prevent an accident. The two cars passed me at high speed a split second after I moved over. It was a close call. I don't know what he was thinking.

Well I'll stop there before I wear out my keyboard. It's been interesting reading all your comments. Thanks everyone.

Drive Safe. :-)
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #66
nikos
mezzo forte

Quote:
To the guy who questioned my idea of extremely high speed. Point taken. I think it was more a case of his speed being twice that of the other cars on the road. A sure recipe for disaster. It was a 70 zone by the way. His speed was definitely inappropriate and excessive for that stretch of road.
Geez if I was doin 70 and someone flew past at 120 I would certainly call that extreme! No need to think twice about whether you did the right thing, a stunt like that needs heavy punishment.

As for the elderly issue (sorry to hear about your grandmother btw), I have only been driving for 18 months (~ 30,000kms), but of all the idiotic things I've seen on the road about 70% have been p platers, the rest middle aged. Sure the oldies can be painfully slow, not indicate, pull out in front of you etc. but I haven't yet seen anything life threatening performed by one. People complain and want the elderly off the road, but they fail to realise that they are USUALY just annoying. Young drivers and to a lesser extent the middle aged are the ones who cause accidents.

Cheers Nic
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 12:57 PM   #67
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
i dont feel sorry for him, he got what he deserved, but i feel sorry for the BA.
in those sort of situations, where the driver has it coming (and you know hes not injured), you should attend to the vehicle first.
Nah, if a ford is going to be constantly abused by an immature little git then it's better that the Ford is put out of its misery. RIP BA, sorry for the cruel family who abused you.

Quote: