Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: So what are you going to do?
Give the V6 a shot 87 57.62%
Buy a Ford V8 from now on 38 25.17%
Jump ship to.........crap no Aussie cars left! 12 7.95%
Go old school and start hanging out with the crazy Hemi6 and Holden six supporters. 14 9.27%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #31
windsor xxww
Banned

forget the crap wheres the swansong?i say bring on some factory hi specials of the xr6 turbo before the end to show em whos the king!they can make some real killer turbos before the end so lets show em that the king isnt dead!if they aint got the nuts to build some hot turbos before the end were in more trouble than i thought.
windsor xxww is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #32
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Snake
They should have competed with Holden and built a Coupe, just like the Monaro. A Ford GT coupe would have been HOT. I certainly would have bought one, instead a I bought a Monaro.
I love V8 Coupes, Ford didn't have one, Holden did.
I have 3, a 04 Monaro, a XAGT Coupe ( have owned it for 20 years ) and a Mustang.
Like Polyal said, Ford woudn't have sold enough to warrant the investment. Remember, while it was a great marketing exercise for Holden the only reason the Monaro lasted as long as it did was because of exports. It sold something like 1200 to 1500 a year here vs about 25000 in the US I think.

I think the Mustang would be a great addition to the Ford line up though. But in it's current guise it just isn't up to scratch technologically. Now if the next model is based on the Orion platform . And that way the low numbers wont matter because it's a global car and our market is just a niche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That would be BMW then?.
Yep exactly. I left that bit off my post but didn't notice until it was too late. I assumed most people on this forum would know who I meant.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #33
JP300+

Is this going to be the end of the Aussie built engines designed and made here?

If so then this is a very sad time!!
Old 21-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #34
Paul
Let the good times roll!

Sorry guys, but I had to have a good chuckle at this thread.

The second anything bad - yet unequivocally true - is said about Ford, it's a "Holden advertisement"!

What a joke...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Didn't Holden just lay off a HEAP off production workers recently and that barely caused a stir!
You may be surprised to know that Holden didn't have to lay off anyone, they made their intentions clear that a third shift was no longer warranted or viable and asked who would leave voluntarily.
What this does is put a feeling of guilt in the minds of some who are neering retirement and have no large mortgages, to step aside and let the younger generation have a go at a future.
They have done it this way for years.
Infact they had more offers of people willing to take packages than the 1500 they required.

One of the reasons employee's were so keen to leave was due to the increase in the job oppertunities in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.
This can be contributed to the Government and it's ability to secure defence contracts and the upcoming mining boom here.
Elizabeth is a satellite city much like Geelong however there appears to be more going on here job wise than in Geelong and so not as big an impact will be felt when these things happen.

my 2c
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #36
Powdered Toast Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Infact they had more offers of people willing to take packages than the 1500 they required.
That's because of how Holden treats it's workers. Well at least at their Dandenong parts warehouse (Vic). Everybody want's to get out of there!

Really they probably aren't any worse than most large companies; treat their workers like numbers instead of people. Well that's my mums opinion anyway and she has worked there for more than 15 years. I only did a few summer shifts personally.

Old 21-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
That's because of how Holden treats it's workers. Well at least at their Dandenong parts warehouse (Vic). Everybody want's to get out of there!

Really they probably aren't any worse than most large companies; treat their workers like numbers instead of people. Well that's my mums opinion anyway and she has worked there for more than 15 years. I only did a few summer shifts personally.
I dont know about melb. based operations but i can tell you the majority of people here in the northern suburbs are proud to work there and get treated well, i personally know heaps of Holdens employees and they have no prob's going home with $1k a week, depending on shift, for assembling vehicles.
There is a shortage of skilled labourers out this way so the opportunity to earn a tradies wage for doing a repetitive job aint too bad
Old 21-07-2007, 08:10 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Mate last downbalance at Ford in Campbellfied was the same, there were more then enough people willing to leave Ford, this new lot of people leaving will yield the same as they'll let people go in Campbellfield and offer people in geelong to work up here.

Also there was culling of people in the Holden engine plant here at Fishermans bend.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #39
Powdered Toast Man

Quote:
I dont know about melb. based operations but i can tell you the majority of people here in the northern suburbs are proud to work there and get treated well, i personally know heaps of Holdens employees and they have no prob's going home with $1k a week, depending on shift, for assembling vehicles.
There is a shortage of skilled labourers out this way so the opportunity to earn a tradies wage for doing a repetitive job aint too bad
I didn't say the money was bad, in fact it's bloody good for unskilled labour (forklift licence not withstanding). Especially the afternoon shift, they make as much as me and I went to Uni for 4 years.

Like I said, this is the dandenong spare parts warehouse. I don't know what the manufacturing plants are like. And I'm not trying to fling mud at Holden's employment practices either, at any of their sites, just in case thats what it sounds like. It's just one person's experience.

Old 22-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #40
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
You may be surprised to know that Holden didn't have to lay off anyone, they made their intentions clear that a third shift was no longer warranted or viable and asked who would leave voluntarily.
What this does is put a feeling of guilt in the minds of some who are neering retirement and have no large mortgages, to step aside and let the younger generation have a go at a future.
They have done it this way for years.

One of the reasons employee's were so keen to leave was due to the increase in the job oppertunities in the northern suburbs of Adelaide.
This can be contributed to the Government and it's ability to secure defence contracts and the upcoming mining boom here.
Elizabeth is a satellite city much like Geelong however there appears to be more going on here job wise than in Geelong and so not as big an impact will be felt when these things happen.

my 2c
Unlike Geelong though, which is a major regional centre 0f 190,000 people, Elizabeth i still in the metropolitan area of a city with a population of 1.2 million. Geelong residents can still commute to Melbourne easily enough though, but it's not at their disposal like the large Northern suburbs base is to Elizabeth. IMO it's a shame they didn't build the whole factory HQ in Geelong...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I didn't say the money was bad, in fact it's bloody good for unskilled labour (forklift licence not withstanding). Especially the afternoon shift, they make as much as me and I went to Uni for 4 years.

Like I said, this is the dandenong spare parts warehouse. I don't know what the manufacturing plants are like. And I'm not trying to fling mud at Holden's employment practices either, at any of their sites, just in case thats what it sounds like. It's just one person's experience.

Ok mate, calm down, you might like to read back through the thread as to what i have said.
My first post was in regards to a claim that Holdens 'laid off' a large number of workers from it's MANUFACTURING plant and you replied with the reason they took voluntary packages was proberbly due to the conditions.
I wrote that, although im not familliar with a WAREHOUSE in Melbourne, that from many accounts the reason for the mass exodus from the Elizabeth operations was not due to working conditions or how they 'get treated' but rather more opportunities.
Thats my experiences, from Elizabeth, where the subject matter arose.
Old 23-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Unlike Geelong though, which is a major regional centre 0f 190,000 people, Elizabeth i still in the metropolitan area of a city with a population of 1.2 million. Geelong residents can still commute to Melbourne easily enough though, but it's not at their disposal like the large Northern suburbs base is to Elizabeth. IMO it's a shame they didn't build the whole factory HQ in Geelong...

Isn't that ironic.....If you live in Elizabeth you are geographically part of metropolitan Adelaide however treated and looked upon as from another planet..... :
Old 23-07-2007, 08:13 AM   #43
red_hotxr6
Banned

Actually all i have been hearing is how many times the ve was being recalled and how many workers have been laid off at holden.The media just dont highlight Holden,s misgivings as much as Ford.Just like rugby league, heaven help us if a qld team beats a nsw team its just not right.Ford will keep on going, the media are just stirring the pot and if push come to shove ill drive a toyota before i drive a holden.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #44
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Actually all i have been hearing is how many times the ve was being recalled and how many workers have been laid off at holden.The media just dont highlight Holden,s misgivings as much as Ford.Just like rugby league, heaven help us if a qld team beats a nsw team its just not right.Ford will keep on going, the media are just stirring the pot and if push come to shove ill drive a toyota before i drive a holden.
Very true that!

It worries me that the media can sensationalise one thing and bury another thing.

I have a couple of theories on the matter.

1)Holden and Toyota have bigger marketing budgets than Ford so the media is very friendly to them.

2) A lot of people have a belief that Holden is Australian while Ford is yank so tend to go easy on Holden on the mistaken belief that they are being patriotic and helping Australia.

3)People are idiots.

It is frustrating that people can be mis informed but worrying that I am probably misinformed about a lot of things that I'm not clued up on like computers and tax what food is good for you.

What can you believe?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 01:19 AM   #45
Fez WQ

Cool Give it 5 years

I would think with in 5 years Ford will reap the beniefts of the struggle now. Holden wll be like the daewoo of the 90s trust me its going to happen!
Ford are just re foucusing were as Holden are running from the real issues that the product is not suitable to the market
...............................Think about that one and see ya driving a Ford in 5 years
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #46
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Ford is laying foundations for some fantastic future opportunities such as exports and the global parts bin of hybrid technology etc and european/australian models. My predictions are:
Ford will be number 1 from 2012 onwards, Toyota number 2 and Holden will be number 3 thanks to their daewoo crap and over-zealous cost cutting efficiency drives.

Don't believe me? Just wait and see.

Quote: