Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #61
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see where coolkid is coming from, but LTD is right. The cars *aren't* made for being abused. They are marketed as sports cars, and if you really want to get technical someone who races cars should know how to do so without causing damage/minimal damage.

As for the XR6T in this topic, FORD have to prove that the car was abused (particularly the part that failed). I'd keep onto them about it. They can however (as people have said) look at the datalogger, and if they see a constant history of high speeds, sharp acceleration, ABS module usage e.t.c, that's more than enough evidence to say you aren't a granny driver and not repair the car

*quick edit*

Another angle of attack is to ask them if they can prove it wasn't hardware failure (i.e faulty). But pretty much they have the ball. If they want to drop it they can
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #62
coolkid

my argument is not that ford should cover a car thats been abused but what they think constitutes abuse, surely when engineering the performance cars they test them to within an inch of their life, so surely they can be driven in a performance manner.
otherwise answer me this what is the point of owning a perrformance car and never using that peromance ,cos it really annoys me when i see people i know buy these type of cars and never ever use it to its potentiol
i mean surely no one on here buys a performance car just for show do they?
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:25 PM   #63
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid
my argument is not that ford should cover a car thats been abused but what they think constitutes abuse, surely when engineering the performance cars they test them to within an inch of their life, so surely they can be driven in a performance manner.
otherwise answer me this what is the point of owning a perrformance car and never using that peromance ,cos it really annoys me when i see people i know buy these type of cars and never ever use it to its potentiol
i mean surely no one on here buys a performance car just for show do they?
I think your friends are buying in the wrong segment if they expect to thrash it and not break something. Try the $100k+ cars for that, and even then your not guaranteed 100%.

They are absolutely tested rigorously (fords own tests and ADR etc), but there is a point in which a sub $60k car will die. These cars are made for the general pop, and they most certainly can take a beating. Forum members rides are tribute to that. Some break, some dont, but you cant expect them to cover everything for that price.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #64
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

You really need to contact fair trading, and if that doesnt solve the issue ACA and today tonight, good luck with it al and hopefully you get a good outcome
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:43 PM   #65
coolkid

i fully agree with wat everyone is saying regarding abusing a a car and expecting it to live but has anyone actually read wat ihave been writing do you guys really think that is abuse?
coolkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #66
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid
i fully agree with wat everyone is saying regarding abusing a a car and expecting it to live but has anyone actually read wat ihave been writing do you guys really think that is abuse?
And we see what your saying but..

1) we have one side of the story from a guy who has just signed up
2) we are not talking about billy carts here. Its a large purchase and any company would go broke if they didn't draw the line somewhere.

This "abuse" could be anything. Im not saying that his lying, but Im pretty sure there would be more to the story.

Was it completely stock? No edit? Because as someone else said, if you mod then you know what you are doing.

There are cases of things breaking, cars will never be 100%, and its in this case where you would expect to be fully covered by a warranty.

Usually there is two sides to the story, and unfortunately we wont get one side.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #67
murrayallstar

The Exact same thing happend to one of my company major clients.
He owned a Mk xr6 turbo down 120k no drama with it at all
Bought a Mk 11 xr6 turbo and around 35k the clutch exploded it cost him just under $11k to repair as they said it was his driving still that caused it. No compension at all.
So he ended up cancelling his fleet vehile lease with ford which is around 50 vehicles per year
murrayallstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #68
blown6speedXR6
Starter Motor

Angry

Thanks for all the feed back, I have taken some of the advice, i have got a engineers report which as expected is inconclusive and can not accuratly pinpoint the cause of failure.
The clutch was overheated and caused the pressure plate to explode, how do i know the clutch was faulty or adjusted correctly.

I now am going to sell the car and move on, but i will be fighting for losses in court, the dealership has offered me $17,000.00 for the car as is !!

The repair bill has come back at $15,700.00

Not happy considering with options I spent $47,000.00 4 months ago.
blown6speedXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #69
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Big assumption there. Ever owned a falcon ute with an LSD? Quite frustrating paying extra for a part that turns out to be plagued with troubles and is of inferior quality.

<snip>

Within 2 weeks the LSD was hit and miss. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt, and before you go jumping to more conclusions, i optioned the LSD because i'm a builder and it helps me get onto slippery sites and bit better for traction towing heavy trailers on dirt roads etc.
Gotcha, I didn't know that about those diffs. I apologise for inferring that you were responsible for breaking a diff four times!

Coolkid, throwing a car sideways with wheels spinning is most certainly abuse. These cars are 'sporting sedans', Ford builds them as 'image makers' - they don't expect you to take them to the track and thrash the daylights out of them. People who want that should know that it's up to them to build the car themselves if they don't want to experience failures as a result of driving that falls outside the design parameters.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #70
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

well if that is the best they can do it is time to take another route. how can a clutch overheating make a bit of metal explode?

like mal wood said on the other forum, he can fix it for alot cheaper than that! the other guy with the same problem got a nice clutch upgrade and blueprinted box for ~4k iirc.

where is fords proof that it was drive abuse? because the failure cause cannot be found, surely they cant assume it was drive abuse.

this is the smelliest bullshit i have ever heard someone get fed.
Old 23-08-2007, 02:28 PM   #71
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown6speedXR6
I now am going to sell the car and move on, but i will be fighting for losses in court, the dealership has offered me $17,000.00 for the car as is !!

Good luck with the battle - keep us informed.
1969 Kombi
Old 23-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #72
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, you have said the engineer has said the clutch overheated.

Honestly everyone is getting on thier high horse about abuse and could possibly be overlooking what may well be abuse just from a (I am not saying you do, i am pointing out that some people do this BTW) driving style.

For instance do you actually use the handbrake for hill starts or just slip the clutch?
Do you sit at the lights and rock the car back and forth with the clutch/
Do you ride the clutch around corners?
All of which if a constant driving style could well burn out a clutch within 4500 klm
Old 23-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #73
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown6speedXR6
Thanks for all the feed back, I have taken some of the advice, i have got a engineers report which as expected is inconclusive and can not accuratly pinpoint the cause of failure.
The clutch was overheated and caused the pressure plate to explode, how do i know the clutch was faulty or adjusted correctly.

I think the dealership is trying to make even more money out of you.
Who are they?
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #74
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
like mal wood said on the other forum, he can fix it for alot cheaper than that! the other guy with the same problem got a nice clutch upgrade and blueprinted box for ~4k iirc.
The damage is a lot more extensive than just a blown clutch.
1969 Kombi
Old 23-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #75
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

After legals you might break even? I would keep up the argument with the dealership and get things started with fair trading. You dont need to end up out of pocket here. I have not seen any forum member suggest selling the car. Many folk here have had this debate with ford and there have been plenty of great suggestions. I think that seling the car would be ill informed - though it might make your legal advisor more wealthy? So what if the engineers report is inconclusive, the car has 4500k and is under warranty. I got about $4000 worth of work on an ex police XR6T with 93,000k. If the first report is not helpful, find one that is. I would rather drop $400 on another report than get into a protracted legal argument. The legal test for fair trading tribunal is more open and easier for you to satisfy than a criminal or civil case.

If you are going to take advice, I always choose to take it from somone who has reached the objective I want to reach.

Good luck

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #76
GT-E

Mate you are doing EXACTLY what Fraud want you to do.
They are bending you over and you are sayign thanks.

Go down the path of Fair trading and 13Ford as they will come to the party.
If the car failed on the highway, then I do not see how they can say it was abuse, unless you were using the clutch pedal as a foot rest.
If the clutch was faulty and did overheat, then it is a 100% warranty claim and you should fight for it.
Going to court for loss is a waste of time and money as you will never win, only lawyers win in court.
Old 24-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #77
DK30RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Here to stir some up? If you are not a ford fan then fine, but no point posting just to get a kick. (your post in the TRD thread is the same).
I'm not here to stir anything up. You have no idea whay my experience has been with ford customer service.

Series 1 AU replaced by FORD after a long battle with an electrical fault they couldn't fix.

Crapped out gearbox in my old BA which ended up in tribunal. The decision was awarded in my favour and then FORD got out of it by saying that they didn't know what caused the damage in my gearbox, and putting in a new one may not stop it from happening again. I was then placed on an indefinate waiting list until a solution 'could' be found.

I told them to shove the car where the sun don't shine, and after owning 8 fords in succession vowed to never to own one again.

Thats another craptacular example of ford's lack of customer service. They obviously don't need repeat business!!!!!!

On the other hand - Subaru 3.0R-B - consumed 1.5 litres of oil in 15,000km - the response from Subaru - "We're very sorry for the problem sir, your new engine will be arriving from Japan in 10 days. This on a car with 60,000km on it. No arguments, no questions, I dind't even have to ask for a new engine, it was offered.

Took it in for a service, "Sir, we feel the power steering pump may be a little noisy, so we are going to replace it for you, sorry for the inconvenience..."

Thats customer service!!!!!

FORD service is a Joke, and i'm sure the sales will reflect this when more people experience it first hand!!!!!
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #78
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squalo
The damage is a lot more extensive than just a blown clutch.
http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/in...4&#entry566397

this guy had the exact same thing happen and i think the final bill was around 4k.