Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
leadsparkie
Starter Motor

Default Removing overspray

Just wondering if anyone can help. I've just noticed that my landau is covered in fine white paint overspray. It's not very noticeable but I discovered it when I was cleaning the vinyl roof. I'm guessing that it is oil based. I don't know if it is something that has happened since I've owned the car or whether it was there when I bought it.
Just want some advice on how to remove it, mainly from the roof, or if anyone knows a good car detailer in Melbourne. Thanks. Tony.

leadsparkie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsparkie
Just wondering if anyone can help. I've just noticed that my landau is covered in fine white paint overspray. It's not very noticeable but I discovered it when I was cleaning the vinyl roof. I'm guessing that it is oil based. I don't know if it is something that has happened since I've owned the car or whether it was there when I bought it.
Just want some advice on how to remove it, mainly from the roof, or if anyone knows a good car detailer in Melbourne. Thanks. Tony.
Normally a clay bar would be fine to remove minor overspray, but you are refering to the the vynal on your roof which may need a different approach, each car needs to be looked at for its own problem and general advice may be wrong, my guess is a light rub with some vynal and trim cleaner on a cloth should sort it but always remember less is more, so dont scrub into and cause more damage / any damage.

My suggestion is drop over to the waxit forum and chat with dave ( throw a link ) and perhaps provide a pic and i am sure dave would be able to supply the right advice and product to fix the problem.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Thinners. Vinyl is predominantly plastic and is often resilient to hydrocarbons, try a little inconspicuous patch and wipe it down with soapy water to get an emulsion and remove the thinners from the vinyl surface.

Quote: