Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Default Suzuki SX4 V's late 80's/Early 90's Fairlane/LTD

Has anyone seen that new Suzuki SX4 ad??

A brand new 2007 model 4wd car, that suzuki are trying to market as a jack of all trades (4wd, sporty, commuter) only just manages to outrun a 1989-94 model ford fairlane after what looks to be a hell of a long chase and only when the poor old ford konks out. And it only gets away after it morphs into an S2000 rally car. The old fairlane looks to either get too hot (prob head gasket) or the electrics get a bit waterlogged by the seemingly never ending puddle that they drive through.

Is it just me? or do others think that it maybe reflects poorly on the SX4? The good old fairlane while nice for its time, but its time was when bob hawk was prime minister, and they were far from perfect. They were primarily designed for a much different demographic (ie, bowls club not 4wd or rally club). To only be just pipped by a mechanical failure after a very long chase to a brand new car is either one hell of an effort for ford or one hell of a failure for suzuki.

Why anyone would choose an upgraded glorified suzuki swift for a get away car is beyond me. why if you were afraid enough to run from the guys in the fairlane would you come to a u turn stop right infront of them when they break down?? why not run like hell if they were truely 'after' you???

The mob isnt exactly known for its love of crudbox old fairlanes for the purpose of chasing down and killing people. anyone ever hear how Mohkbell loved his NA Fairlanes??? The real mob drive mercs and bimmers, this must be the smith street mafia. no the bell st mafia.

THe mobsters just gave up when the car stopped while the suzuki was facing them stopped not more than 50mtrs away, AHHHH, why were they chasing the guy in the suzuki if they didnt plan to shoot him when they caught up with him??? they were in an industrial construction sight, no one is going to hear/say anything, time to cap that mo fo!!!

All round the ad is just rubbish and the person who came up with the concept should be shot. Its not really an achievement to outrun an old fairlane, especially if it took all day to do so. its certainly not something i would base my advertising campaign on.

brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Too much time on your hands eh :togo: ? It's just an ad, even if it is crap.

Not sure why they used an old 'Lane, probably because it only cost them 5c to buy and they can feel easy throwing it away afterwards.

And no, a Suzuki isn't my idea of a great car either, but to each there own I guess.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Kenster

Question

Could i ask why you are finding it hard to just accept the way Suzuki sx4 add as it is. Ad is meant to get people to buy the car not your opinion, also i do think the Suzuki could out corner the Fairlane anyday and possible out run it.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenster
Could i ask why you are finding it hard to just accept the way Suzuki sx4 add as it is. Ad is meant to get people to buy the car not your opinion, also i do think the Suzuki could out corner the Fairlane anyday and possible out run it.
settle down mate, i was being sarcastic and ironic and trying to be funny.
But the point is lost on you, sadly, sarcasm is the lowest form of witt and alas you still do not get it.

The point I was trying to make was it doesnt matter if the SX4 can out run/corner an old fairlane, because the fairlane is an old, outdated car to begin with. I found the comparison redundant.
So it should be able to beat a 20 year old car, there is a massive problem if it doesnt, the ad showed however that it was not a simple task, which one would hopefully think it would be.

Some people. :

And yes I do have alot of free time on my hands, it just gets me angry/giggling whenever it comes on and I thought I would share it with you and see if anyone else thought of it as slightly odd too.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #5
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
i was being sarcastic
sarcasm is the lowest form of witt
:
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #6
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

I read the whole post and never understood your sarcasm ...

I want my 3 mins back please

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

I think they wanted to portray the Fairlane as a "gangster" limo.
BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
I read the whole post and never understood your sarcasm ...

I want my 3 mins back please
i agree with you there mate, i only got a blank face
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

well its clearly lost on those with no intellect. someone please lock and delete this thing.
I found it amusing.
Clearly the advertisers were going for the whole gangster feel with the fairlane in black with tinted windows and know that the average Joe will not think anymore into it.
But i thought for those of us who are ford enthusiasts (people on a ford forum) that reading into it a bit more might be fun and point out something that wouldnt have even crossed the ad guys minds.
I thought some of the earlier E-series guys might appreciate that a brand new car was only just outrunning an old fairlane.
Especially for those who drive cars built off the same platform as the fairlane. (Kenster, BLK Hoon)

Is anyone that stupid to think that I think that the audience of this ad would come to the conclusion that I did???

Clearly someone just got bored at work/school and decided to flame me.
Old 21-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
well its clearly lost on those with no intellect
I clearly understand the point you're making mate but intellect has nothing to do with it...Power to weight has everything to do with it and at the end of the day...it's an Ad and the whole chase would have done under staged circumstances...My guess is that neither car was going that fast...
Old 21-09-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post