Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Mazda Test Days

I recently entered a competition with Mazda and won a spot next week at a test day which includes drives on a track of the Mazda 6 MPS, Mazda 3 MPS, MX5, and RX8. It also includes lunch and a hot lap with Dick JOHNSON.

Is anyone else here going?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven all of them quite a bit (mate who is a mazda dealer and gives me demos for weekends)
You will LOVE the RX8, it handles spectacularly but drinks like a clevo.
The MX5 needs more power but is lots of fun in the twisties.
6MPS will teach you all about clutches and how they worked in 1937 tractors but is amazingly agile.
3MPS will show you the FWD is not always a torque steer monster.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Ringo
I see you....

How did you manage that ???????

I'm green with envy....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Just entered a comp via their webpage. Had to write in 25 words or less what I thought of the current Mazda range.
Old 13-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I too love the RX8, if they did a turbo version with balls I would buy one. Check out how clever the interior packaging is, the car should win design awards left right and centre for the way things are executed in that car. I love the 350Z Nissan but compare the interior and packaging to the RX8 and the Nissan just looks as though it was put together by dumb failed design graduate students.

The driving position in the RX8 was just beautiful too and the control have a nice tactile feel. A damn nice car and one I would like to add to my garage.
Old 13-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I recently entered a competition with Mazda and won a spot next week at a test day which includes drives on a track of the Mazda 6 MPS, Mazda 3 MPS, MX5, and RX8. It also includes lunch and a hot lap with Dick JOHNSON.

Is anyone else here going?
I hope its not like a 'Time Share' weekend away where you aren't allowed to leave until you buy one!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
I too love the RX8, if they did a turbo version with balls I would buy one. Check out how clever the interior packaging is, the car should win design awards left right and centre for the way things are executed in that car. I love the 350Z Nissan but compare the interior and packaging to the RX8 and the Nissan just looks as though it was put together by dumb failed design graduate students.

The driving position in the RX8 was just beautiful too and the control have a nice tactile feel. A damn nice car and one I would like to add to my garage.
I seriously concidered buying one not long ago. The is a mob ins Birsvegas who do a turbo/trans kit for $14k that will deploy 300rwkw and hold together.
Unfortunately the warranty the first casualty and I did not really have a spare 65k for what is really a fun toy.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I hope its not like a 'Time Share' weekend away where you aren't allowed to leave until you buy one!
That would suck!
Old 16-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

What can I say? Was an awesome day at Broadford with Mazda. They were very friendly, got to drive each car two laps around the track as fast as we could and in two of the four cars we had instructors giving us hints and teaching us. Then my day was topped off with Dick JOHNSON ripping the track up with an RX8.

I must congratulate Mazda. I am not sure if any other car company does these sort of days for the public, but their ever increasing sales and fourth in Australia shows they are doing it right.

Lunch was good also. I will post some pics later.
Old 16-10-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
smee323
Yes it is mine...

I have my turn this Friday morning at Mallala.
Will have to see how the MPS stacks up against my GTR Familia.
Is it really as fast as you dare, or as fast as you can.

Will take some pics and report after the day.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That is a great initiative. Dont know how much they gain from it but it wont hurt them. If only all the other Ford brands could get their acts together. Mazda is doing amazingly well at the moment.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by smee323
I have my turn this Friday morning at Mallala.
Will have to see how the MPS stacks up against my GTR Familia.
Is it really as fast as you dare, or as fast as you can.

Will take some pics and report after the day.
They said to us, as fast as we want, within our own limitations. But if you go off the track that is your last drive for day. This was not an issue for anyone!
Old 19-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #13
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Some bum thought he would join me in front of the 8

OK, more info.
My brother sent me a competition link to win a day doing some Mazda driving, so I thought I could answer in 25 words or less why it would be fun. Can't remember totally, but it did have something about the familia in it.
Got an email, then a letter saying be at Mallalla at this tie and bring your licence. If you could not drive a manual, well sorry, there is the door.
Arrived and recognised a familia face (JW) John Waterhouse, owner of Reliance Automotive and Maxda Guru. Also, a meber of the car club BMSC I am in. Went up and said high, while he was taking photo's of punters being strapped in for a ride with DJ.
Went and registered, and then got the instructional talk from Mazda, JW and the Motor School bod.
Now it was time to drive.
JW suggested a ride with DJ first, so you could get the layout of the track.
I must admit, even though it was a standard road car, it was very good. You know the man can drive, and the speed is there. A bit like strapping into a rally car, but with less sliding and more G's due to the grip levels. You could only imagine what DJ would be like on the amber fluid, cause boy can he talk......

Here JW had my camera and it was on rapid fire. We had a good chukle as he tried to turn it on and then come to grips with the frames per second. And then out onto the track.

JW's suggestion was excellent. DJ showed you the lines, and then you could do your own thing.

I finished the lap and hopped into the MPS 3. Man does this thing go. It just pulls and pulls when you get a chance to wring its neck.

Thing is, the 3 was the 2nd car in line, so I kept catching the car (mx-5) in front. I would back off to get some space, only to hear over the 2 way speed up, and then be told back off, back off you are too close. If you get that close again, no more driving for you. Pretty bad when the fellow in front whom is doing 80 slams on the anchors 300 from the corner with you closing at 150kph on pit straight. I just hung back from there on in. Did not get above 80kph for most of that drive and was a bit let down.
Next, into the 5. Was told it was not quick down the straights, but picked up time in the corners.
This car being the lead had an instructor. He really did not look like he was having an enjoyable day. The first real corner we got to after the right kink, he yelled at me. Brake. Brake now. And then some other not nice commentary. So I did, and slammed them on. I had to select 2nd so as to gain momentum to get around the corner. The guy scared the wits out of me when he yelled it. I felt like parking the car on the side of the road and walking back to the pits after being abused by him.......... Also, the air con was on and that robbed the car of a bit of go. The driver aids were a little intrusive in this car, but the flip flop onto the start finish straight felt very good in it.

Now into the 8.

ye ha. no instructor in this car...
I set it all up and away we went. I let the car in front go a fair bit, and gave it the wellie.
After seeing DJ drive it, and being told to wring its neck and shift when the buzzer sounded, this was going to be fun.
The first lap was a sighter, and I occassionally caught the cars in front. For the second lap I held back. I changed into 4th when I passed the pit wall and then hard on the anchors. Stay out wide, pick up the cone and feed it on gently. And then Bang. Pick a gear, and another and another for the right hand kink back straight. Not sure what speed I was doing, but the buzzer was sounding whilst I was in 5th gear just before a turn hard right and it still wanted more.
The flip flop in this again was excellent. Drove through it well and it pushed you out the other side. And back into the pits.
Get back, and no-one wants to take the 8 out. I get asked would I like another go. No need to ask me twice...... Again, more of the same and with a bit more familiarity the lap seems mucho quicker. The bump into the turn after the start finish straight unsettles it a bit, and around we go again. Then alas it is over again.... I could do this all day I think....

Last but not least, I am into the six. So far everyone has stalled this thing on start up. The instructor jokes to see if he can get a flush of everyone doing it, but I spoil his run and take off smoothly.
We banter about the car and does this thing move. The AWD really sets this thing in another class. A more refined car then the 3 and does it have some go. You give it some right wellie and it just keeps going and going. Flat to the floor in 4th around the right kink, and it just wants more. The brakes pull it up well, and the ABS is predictable and strong. You can almost feel it pulling chunks out of the tarmac as you brake to turn in.
It does have a lot of understeer though. Not as good a turn in as the 8 or 5, and changing down to second sees it revving to high for the given situation. 3rd is a bit to high geared, but you have to remember it is a tourer and not a sports sedan. If you want something that will seat 4 adults and not stick out like a soor thumb, then you could do no better than the 6. I would put it ahead of the Liberty for driveability. Seating is a little high when you get in, and I cannot comment on the radio or other bits. Too busy with the fun factor and the speed.
And that was it.

Or so I thought.

As I was so ripped by my first go in the 3, I got another chance. An instructor from QLD whom knows Matt D hops in with me. (I think he is a rally driver, and a pilot of some description).
Oh my god, the chips. This thing just screams for more. It gets up and goes, and stop. A couple of times, you could feel the rear pop up and bounce as it got light under brakes. Again alot of understeer even with the stability control. But it pulled like a 16 year old with a copy of the Pamela Anderson Playboy.
Bugger the Zoom Zoom, I just want one.

And then it was over.

I thank the instructors and JW and head off into the rooms for lunch. I have a bit of a chat to JW, and then he offers to take my photo with DJ in front of the 8 out the front. OK. Done (see above).

And that was it. I thank JW and say I will post off and head back to work. I try and stay under the limit of 110 back into town and relax as I drive in.

A great day, and an excellent idea by MAZDA.

Here's hoping I am lucky enough to garner another guernsey next year. They should have the new 6 out by then.....

Last edited by smee323; 19-10-2007 at 11:33 PM.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like a lot of fun ;)

I like the MPS cars a lot. Probably the 6 more so than the 3.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #15
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

awesome read! glad u had a top day