Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-10-2007, 12:51 AM   #31
Blast2

Default xc coupe

Hi all,Superroo said it all.You need to look around more.Get what you want for your price also get a mechanic you know to check it out.Does any one know who's Ford 32 3 window yellow rod I saw down near the Gabba a couple of days ago?
Blast2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #32
afroboy
XY in the veins

Is it JBC cars? I bought a great 351 XY off them years ago, paid $9500 for it. I had a fuel leak the first day, and they had no problems sorting out a new fuel sender unit. Unfortunately they always have seemed on the expensive side.
afroboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #33
Hardtop
XBGT Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6 typhoon
i personally would not buy from that car yard heard some very dodgy stories about them
I'd like to second that !!! having bought a car from that car yard, i have 1st hand experience, be very carefull and look very hard at any car you want from them.
Hardtop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 02:42 PM   #34
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
And look like every other ba/f driver on the roads

$40k doesn't surprise me from a caryard.
Better than looking like every other outdated XC driver lol

Man I used to own a 5.8L XC Update GXL which at the time was only a few years old at the time & was a great vehicle way back then but I can tell you my BFII Ute is way ahead of it in all ways apart from the power as I worked the engine though at around 10 MPG you would not even be able to run one these days.

And if I had gone a Turbo BFII XR6 then it would kill the old XC on performance as well.

Move along with the times guys as these old Barges have had there day

Now something like a 66 Mustang overhauled with modern running gear & interior would make sense if ya wanted an old classic lol
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #35
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the more i see the old cars.. the more i think... i wouldn't mind one of them....

but i've grown used to having a comfy interior.. i've been thru the old car thing.. (datsun 240k).. even the EA is old enuf for me now... i j ust don't think i could put up with that interior anymore... but i love the look of these cars tho....
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #36
classic XT
stocker!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
The prices are as follows:

XC Coupe (Yellow) $40,000

XY Ute (Looks like Olive but probably called a different name) $18,500

XW (I think) 351 GT Replica (wildfire I think it is called, red anyway) $48,000

If anyone wants anymore details, I can get them for you or can pass you the phone number of the car yard
Thanks for that....sorry for the delay, have been at Indy..
classic XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2007, 11:43 PM   #37
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy 1
40K for an XC Yipes!

Used to be able to get a good second hand one for approx $8000.00 back in 1980 lol

Who would bother with one these days, may as well buy a New XR6 Turbo.
I'd buy a coupe for one reason - resale.
2 door's have been going up pretty quickly lately as people catch on that they're an awesome looking car when done right. if anyone's worried about the running costs, if you look at total cost of ownership compared to a $40k xr6t, the coupe would probably come out way in front due to the depreciation on the new car.
also, given the relative light weight of the old cars, you could put modern efi running gear in one and you should get better performance and fuel economy than a similarly powered late model car.
I've been thinking about looking for a coupe while they're still affordable.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 03:54 AM   #38
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper69S
I'd buy a coupe for one reason - resale.
2 door's have been going up pretty quickly lately as people catch on that they're an awesome looking car when done right. if anyone's worried about the running costs, if you look at total cost of ownership compared to a $40k xr6t, the coupe would probably come out way in front due to the depreciation on the new car.
also, given the relative light weight of the old cars, you could put modern efi running gear in one and you should get better performance and fuel economy than a similarly powered late model car.
I've been thinking about looking for a coupe while they're still affordable.
But that "retrofitting" of the newer running gear would be horrendously expensive, would most likely deflect alot of buyers and after all that money (from R&D) and time, you would lose the same as the newer/late model car anyway, not the percentage of depreciation (sp?) but the overall figure...
My 0.02c

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #39
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Ok,as a coupe owner I'll bight.
Quote:
Looks are subjective,but lets start a pole to see who prefers the style of a stock bf ute over an X-series coupe,or modified vs modified,the coupe will win all day long.And see what stays in style once the new falcon comes out,ba/fs will be the new e-series.
Quote:
Man I used to own a 5.8L XC Update GXL which at the time was only a few years old at the time & was a great vehicle way back then but I can tell you my BFII Ute is way ahead of it in all ways apart from the power as I worked the engine though at around 10 MPG you would not even be able to run one these days.
Dead right,a worked 351 is hardly daily driver material,I bet you wish you had you xc now though,it's probably worth more than your ute.
Quote:
And if I had gone a Turbo BFII XR6 then it would kill the old XC on performance as well.
But you didn't.I've owned a mk11 ba xr8 ute,which is gone,and an xbgt coupe which I still own,and while performance isnt everything,the coupe wasn't far behind the ute anyway and I love it,which is more than I can say for the ute.
Quote:

Now something like a 66 Mustang overhauled with modern running gear & interior would make sense if ya wanted an old classic lol

It looks to me like you've just spouted this crap in this thread to stir up sh/t,get over yourself.
Old 22-10-2007, 12:04 PM   #40
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Can't believe you bit!!

Quote:
at around 10 MPG you would not even be able to run one these days.
I'll bite at this one... yes, you can, and I do - every day. What's the problem? ;)

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #41
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

BAN HIM!!!!
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #42
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

B series things are so boaring to look at, utes sedans GT's there all the same, at least a coupe stands out and grabs you by the short and cirlies and really makes a prescence.
B series is just another mum and dads car, just like a commonwhore and cumry.

On the other side of things (and taking out personal preferences), you cannot compare new to old in performance, handeling and braking etc, they are just millions of miles apart.
It is also not really practical to use a coupe as a daily driver these days, even the non GT's are well sought after, be it jealosy from vandalism, theft or stripping etc, the coupe is a huge target, and there fore not suited for everyday use anymore.

To fully retro fit new running gear into an old school car would be pretty expensive too, specially as that car must comply to the emmissions rules of the donor motor, so to use a b series V8 would be pretty costly to make it all fit.
Personally I dont think any of the old school cars will ever have their day, they are timeless classics and dead sexy looking cars, and in 30 years time will still be here when most b series plastic hoki piles will be in the scrap yard to be melted down for tupperware containers.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #43
Electric XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Roo 1970
B series things are so boaring to look at, utes sedans GT's there all the same, at least a coupe stands out and grabs you by the short and cirlies and really makes a prescence.
B series is just another mum and dads car, just like a commonwhore and cumry.

On the other side of things (and taking out personal preferences), you cannot compare new to old in performance, handeling and braking etc, they are just millions of miles apart.
It is also not really practical to use a coupe as a daily driver these days, even the non GT's are well sought after, be it jealosy from vandalism, theft or stripping etc, the coupe is a huge target, and there fore not suited for everyday use anymore.

To fully retro fit new running gear into an old school car would be pretty expensive too, specially as that car must comply to the emmissions rules of the donor motor, so to use a b series V8 would be pretty costly to make it all fit.
Personally I dont think any of the old school cars will ever have their day, they are timeless classics and dead sexy looking cars, and in 30 years time will still be here when most b series plastic hoki piles will be in the scrap yard to be melted down for tupperware containers.
mate well said , i do not see any coupes on the roads these days ,there are 2 i have spotted out and about 1 is jamies landau and the 2nd coupe that runs around and is a rough daily driver ,, very scarce.
Electric XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #44
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too bad you are not here in Vic.
We had these out on Saturday night:

Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #45
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

You will always have those who love new over old and vice versa and then mud sling and bag out each other. Why cant people respect other peoples opinions??
Old 23-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #46
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Well Well I see, of course old vehicles are better than New ones as is a well known fact that as technology moves forward vehicles get worse :

Some of the comments on here in reply to mine are just so immature & not warrented at all because I NEVER made any personal attacks on anyone I simply said in my first post who would bother paying that sort of Money for a 30 year old vehicle when a new one for the same sort of money is that much better in the ways that count, Safety, Comfort, Handling, Economy, Emissions & even Performance for many of them.

I also said that I have owned such vehicles as you seem to worship & that they are not something as amazing as you think they are.

It is only a matter of time until the Goverment of the Day bans them because of what I have said above.

Yeah they were Hot vehicles in there time, I would have killed for a Cobra at the time I had my 351 Fairmont GXL but could not afford one.

However now it would be like are you Kidding me.

Ok I will agree you can take one old coupe & spend big dollars on improving the brakes & everything else to bring it up to a modern standard but again who would bother?

You say all modern vehicles are boring & Foggies cars, well I think are many in the B Series or FPV section who would not agree with you on this.

I do respect other peoples preferances however also think these people should respect my opinions as we are all equal in the eyes of the Forum & it is a free country.. Oi Oi Oi

Calling to ban me for expressing an opinion on a vehicle, JUVENILE :togo:

I do wonder how old many of the whingers are?

In spite of what a person may think when 18 or 22 or 25 they do not know it all & do have much growing up to do & I was no differant at those ages though I did not realise it till I was much older.

So each to there own in regards to vehicle choice however I know what is the smarter choice, well apart from the investment aspect which also makes me cringe to think these old things can be worth as much as they are, must be many people out there with way to much Money to waste on old Toys.

Cheers Guys & Chill
Old 23-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #47
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
Can't believe you bit!!

I'll bite at this one... yes, you can, and I do - every day. What's the problem? ;)
Well it would be for 1 you have to pay for it (Fuel) & 2 how responsible is it to have a vehicle these days that uses that much Fuel when we all know it is running out, at least I get 3 times more economy in the Ute lol
Old 23-10-2007, 11:20 AM   #48
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Well it would be for 1 you have to pay for it (Fuel) & 2 how responsible is it to have a vehicle these days that uses that much Fuel when we all know it is running out, at least I get 3 times more economy in the Ute lol
1. Fuel costs are not something I worry about - I run straight gas. And to be honest, fuel costs weren't something I cared much for before the conversion... Australian petrol is still very cheap compared to what I grew up with in the UK, where it's now about $2.50 a litre...

2. Yes, I realise that oil is running out and I'm not a fan of electric cars. However the fuel that I use is (and I *think* I'm right in saying this) a by-product of the oil refinement process. That being the case I'll continue to have a supply of my chosen fuel (by-product remember) provided that people still slosh unleaded into their cars. I'm taking advantage of their generosity! Oh, and in terms of CO2 emissions, LPG craps all over unleaded petrol... I'm also being quite green! Mad.

3. Economy is not something I have, granted. But I believe the two points above cover that one..!

Not everyone has to love old cars. But those of us that do love them for different reasons that why you love new cars. My list "for" old cars would be something like:

Character
Driver enjoyment
Uniqueness
Zero depreciation
... and at a pinch, Recycling..!

I like moderns too, for the reasons you have cited. But I like classics for very different reasons... and I'd rather have an interesting old car every day of the week and twice on Sunday, than drive a bland if thoroughly compotent modern vehicle.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #49
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Well Well Well I see, of course old vehicles are better than New ones as is a well known fact that as technology moves forward vehicles get worse :

Some of the comments on here in reply to mine are just so immature & not warrented at all because I NEVER made any personal attacks on anyone I simply said in my first post who would bother paying that sort of Money for a 30 year old vehicle when a new one for the same sort of money is that much better in the ways that count, Safety, Comfort, Handling, Economy, Emissions & even Performance for many of them.

I also said that I have owned such vehicles as you seem to worship & that they are not something as amazing as you think they are.

It is only a matter of time until the Goverment of the Day bans them because of what I have said above.

Yeah they were Hot vehicles in there time, I would have killed for a Cobra at the time I had my 351 Fairmont GXL but could not afford one.

However now it would be like are you Kidding me.

Ok I will agree you can take one old coupe & spend big dollars on improving the brakes & everything else to bring it up to a modern standard but again who would bother?

You say all modern vehicles are boring & Foggies cars, well I think are many in the B Series or FPV section who would not agree with you on this.

I do respect other peoples preferances however also think these people should respect my opinions as we are all equal in the eyes of the Forum & it is a free country.. Oi Oi Oi

In spite of what a person may think when 18 or 22 or 25 they do not know it all & do have much growing up to do & I was no differant at those ages though I did not realise it till I was much older.

So each to there own in regards to vehicle choice however I know what is the smarter choice, well apart from the investment aspect which also makes me cringe to think these old things can be worth as much as they are, must be many people out there with way to much Money to waste on old Toys.

Cheers Guys & Chill
Ok so we have a different opinion,I think that's quite clear.

The difference is I don't come in to a thread about a b-series (or anything else) and ask all the owners why they would bother to own something,that is my opinion,new and generic,when they could own something that will rise in value over time,and wont be old news ( )when the next new thing comes around .

Why,because I'm mature enough to realize that all I would be doing is stirring sh/t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
1. Fuel costs are not something I worry about - I run straight gas. And to be honest, fuel costs weren't something I cared much for before the conversion... Australian petrol is still very cheap compared to what I grew up with in the UK, where it's now about $2.50 a litre...

2. Yes, I realise that oil is running out and I'm not a fan of electric cars. However the fuel that I use is (and I *think* I'm right in saying this) a by-product of the oil refinement process. That being the case I'll continue to have a supply of my chosen fuel (by-product remember) provided that people still slosh unleaded into their cars. I'm taking advantage of their generosity! Oh, and in terms of CO2 emissions, LPG craps all over unleaded petrol... I'm also being quite green! Mad.

3. Economy is not something I have, granted. But I believe the two points above cover that one..!

Not everyone has to love old cars. But those of us that do love them for different reasons that why you love new cars. My list "for" old cars would be something like:

Character
Driver enjoyment
Uniqueness
Zero depreciation
... and at a pinch, Recycling..!

I like moderns too, for the reasons you have cited. But I like classics for very different reasons... and I'd rather have an interesting old car every day of the week and twice on Sunday, than drive a bland if thoroughly compotent modern vehicle.
Well Said.

I don't think anyone here is saying new cars arn't miles ahead of the old ones in most areas.
Old 23-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #50
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm I said this in my First post Apollo:

40K for an XC Yipes!

Used to be able to get a good second hand one for approx $8000.00 back in 1980 lol

Yes maybe I should have said who would bother paying that sort of Money & not just who would bother however thought it would be rather easy to work out what I meant anyways.

And it was you who came back with the" And look like every other BA/ BF driver etc" which started to stir the pot & not me.

Oh this is in the Pub & not in the X series section & again is a whole lot differant to me saying all x series or old cars are crap lol.. I did not say that & yourself & others put more rubbish on late models than I did on old models lol

Anyway as much fun as all this is I will cease further comments apart from asking you How old are you?

Cheers.
Old 23-10-2007, 04:29 PM   #51
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Umm I said this in my First post Apollo:

40K for an XC Yipes!

Yes maybe I should have said who would bother paying that sort of Money & not just who would bother however thought it would be rather easy to work out what I meant anyways.

And it was you who came back with the" And look like every other BA/ BF driver etc" which started to stir the pot & not me.

Oh this is in the Pub & not in the X series section & again is a whole lot differant to me saying all x series or old cars are crap lol.. I did not say that & yourself & others put more rubbish on late models than I did on old models lol
And on it goes....

What sort of response did you expect with a comment like that in a thread like this?

Maybe the way it was worded has misinterpreted the message you were trying to get across.If you had said I had one of those 11111eleventy11 years ago,and while I liked it then,I'd much rather spend 40k on a new car these days,I wouldn't have even flinched,but when you ask who would bother with an old coupe,when there are new cars for the same price,obviously struck a nerve with a few of us that enjoy these old coupes.

Unfortunately,I cant hear the tone of your words when they're typed,so I interpret them how they read,it would seem that what you type isn't exactly what you ment.
Quote:
Anyway as much fun as all this is I will cease further comments apart from asking you How old are you?

Cheers.
What exactly does my age have to do with this?

I've already told you I've owned/own both the types of cars you've mentioned,does this not entitle me to a qualified opinion regardless of my age?

Last edited by apolloxbgt; 23-10-2007 at 04:36 PM.
apolloxbgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #52
kremmen

Quote:
at least I get 3 times more economy in the Ute lol
I can guarantee my car is 3 times more fun to drive. :
Old 23-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #53
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

It isn't 1980 anymore, it's nearly the end of 2007, and like a lot of older cars, successful or not so, their following has reached cult status. The prices indicate just how popular they are, as supply is low and demand is at an all time high.
You ask, who would bother with one these days, well the line starts to the left and is damm long.
Are they expensive? Hell yes, again because of the above reasons and more. Are they worth that money? well thats upto the potential buyer.

If I had 40 to 50k to spend on a car, and it had to be a daily driver, then I would look at what was out there and make a descision.
I have owned a new b series 2003 xr, and it was not a great car, the auto in it was terrible, and the motor was gutless. Have also had an extensive drive in the turbo ones, and they were all right, but I definantly prefer the V8 model overall. The car would only ever be considered a daily though, and never anything special.
Same as a xr ute, I would consider it a work hack only and drive it accordingly, i.e. thrash the codds out of it, and pi$$ it off for a newer one when needed.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2007, 06:46 PM   #54
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

You know whats juvenile? Failing to take a joke. No-one is going to ban you because I suggested it, so clearly it must be.... what.....?

Oh, and Im considerably older than 25, I have clothing that old (oh, thats a joke too, the clothes part, not the age part, spelled out enough for you yet?).
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post