Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Noisy Lifters

I have already done a search on this, and it returned some good unformation. Apparently in order to stop the 'tapping' noise coming from my engine, i need to use some Nulon Lifter Free solution.
What I didn't seem to find though, was where abouts do I use this? I know its a dumb question, but I just want to be sure. I assume I just put it in where the new oil goes through the Rocker Cover? I am fine to just add this as is, or does the oil need to be changed?
My guess is that this has started happening because I thrash the c**p out of it most of the time I drive it. Which is usually only on the weekends now, and on the odd day after work. So this solution will be ok for now, or have I gone and killed my poor motor?

Evan

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

change the oil when your doing it evan

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you recon its safer that way, then I might wait a while as the oil is still fairly fresh. Thanks mate.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Change the oil. The noise is a sign of bad oil,old oil and the car doesn't like it. I am going to take a wild guess that you have mobil oil in there at the moment.I might be wrong though.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Change the oil. The noise is a sign of bad oil,old oil and the car doesn't like it. I am going to take a wild guess that you have mobil oil in there at the moment.I might be wrong though.
Yeah I copped that a little while ago. Tapped it's head off (only when hard stopping from high speed though) but then my oil change was overdue so my fault really. Changed it and haven't heard a peep from it.

But Stav, not necessarily caused by bad oil. Mine was very good Nulon stuff. Or did you mean bad oil in a different sense?
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Bad quality oil. I went to wsid with penzoil and car came back quiet.Next week mobile super synth oil and my car rattled its head off.Draining the oil the next dat had lots of pieces of metal in the pan!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. Like I said, the oil is fairly new, I only had a service done a few weeks ago. Not too sure what my mechanic put in it, but the service sticker says Ultra Lubricants on it. Previous to that I had Penrite HPR15 in it. I think I may need to go back to that when I put some of that Lifter Free stuff.

It actually make that noise when I am accelerating, and seems loudest at about 2000-3000rpm. I have also noticed that since I put the cam in, the car takes aaaages to get up to normal operating temp. When it does though, it seems to quiet down a bit above 3k. Probably doesn't help that it sits around all week either.

Evan
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Bad quality oil. I went to wsid with penzoil and car came back quiet.Next week mobile super synth oil and my car rattled its head off.Draining the oil the next dat had lots of pieces of metal in the pan!!
Stav, what's the name and viscosity of the Penzoil oil you used?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I figured out where the noise is coming from, and its not the lifters. I have managed to blow the exhaust gasket. I opened the bonnet and started it up, and all you can hear is that noise from the back of the motor. On the plus side, it rumbles and pops through the exhaust like a V8 Supercar now!
Hopefully a new gasket will fix it. Not too sure how long I can keep driving it like that, but I am going to have to get it fixed soon.

Evan