Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default 2008 Lexus LS 600hL V8 Hybrid...

So? Who wants one? *hand goes up*

With a 327kw, 820Nm V8-Hybrid engine, you can have your greenie cake and eat it too!

fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

This is the car with that self parking system isn't it?
Old 13-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Among other features, I don't know whether they were able to get an ADR for it, but the UK model has a lane tracking feature, that will keep the car within a lane of the freeway.

It also has a sensor that evaluates the attention of the driver and will sound an alarm if the driver gets distracted, falls asleep etc. Apparently if there is no response it will activate braking.

There is a video on youtube by 5th gear on the car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS4WMJR_JZs
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like what the FPV Boss engine needs to give it a kick up the backside!!

Similar stock specs to the 290 without the 650 volt motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Advice
The hybrid system is Lexus’ most powerful ever, combining their highest output petrol and electric motors to produce a combined 327kW of power.

The quad-cam V8 engine alone produces 290kW of power at 6400rpm and 520Nm, however the 650-volt electric motor adds 165kW and an instantaneous 300Nm at zero rpm.
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
ECOJET

what a stunning piece!
there's just something i reallllly hate about lexus dashes.. especially the centre, its too much of a big command screen and i hate how it expands out as it goes up...
Old 16-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Hybrid is actually slower than the non hybrid LS460 cause its so heavy. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 07:51 PM   #7
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Love this bit:

the 650-volt electric motor adds 165kW and an instantaneous 300Nm at zero rpm.

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The silver one had pics taken in Canberra. We feel honoured
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
Bent8
Long live the GT !

327kW!!...820Nm!!! and what's the official quarter mile time?...14.3 secs

What a joke, if I was Lexus, I'd dump that no good for nothing electric motor and tune that 5.0L DOHC V8 up to a healthy 320kW/550Nm and forget about all this pathetic "carbon footprint" crap!!...can't see how they'll win any potential E63 or M5 buyers with their environ"mental" approach. :

It's a V8 for god's sake, and the thing cost $240k, whose going to care about what the fuel consumption is!!...pathetic I tell you. :

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll stick to cars that run on 98 fuel and cost a crap load less :

I'll be long dead before it's a problem for me :P
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair302
Love this bit:

the 650-volt electric motor adds 165kW and an instantaneous 300Nm at zero rpm.
Problem with electric motors is the more they spin the less power they make, so when you floor it the electric motor basically adds nothing to the total power, they are only useful at very low rpm, so basically all the electric motor does is slightly compansate for the extra weight of the batteries when you are driving slowly in stop/start traffic. It really just a **** feature so you can make out your making a difference and helping the environment when really your not making one iouta of difference. Hybrids are nothing but a stopgap until something better like hydrogen power takes over.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Loq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
can't see how they'll win any potential E63 or M5 buyers with their environ"mental" approach. :
It's to take on the S-Class and 7-Series V12 variants... so i wouldn't be comparing it to a race-spec car.
Loq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2007, 09:20 PM   #13
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Problem with electric motors is the more they spin the less power they make, so when you floor it the electric motor basically adds nothing to the total power, they are only useful at very low rpm, so basically all the electric motor does is slightly compansate for the extra weight of the batteries when you are driving slowly in stop/start traffic. It really just a **** feature so you can make out your making a difference and helping the environment when really your not making one iouta of difference. Hybrids are nothing but a stopgap until something better like hydrogen power takes over.
Spot on mate, plus let's not forget the environmental damage caused by the acids/chemicals in these batteries once they wear out...

Quote:
It's to take on the S-Class and 7-Series V12 variants... so i wouldn't be comparing it to a race-spec car.
correct you are sir...but the only thing it has on the latest S600L (380kW/830Nm) is the better fuel consumption, hardly a selling point IMO.

I can see it doing well going up against the 760iL (327kW/600Nm) though, one things for sure, the Lexus does look better than the Beemer.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 18-11-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
Loq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
one things for sure, the Lexus does look better than the Beemer.
hmmmm you think? interior-wise this Lexus is a german wake-up-call - But as for the exterior i still reckon it has a bit of Camry in it :s
Loq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #15
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loq
hmmmm you think? interior-wise this Lexus is a german wake-up-call - But as for the exterior i still reckon it has a bit of Camry in it :s
That's the relationship between Lexus and Toyota for ya... personally, it should look more like the super sexy TRD Aurion!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loq
while i'm actually keen on toyotas (apart from their crappy transmissions in the gen5 camry's) i must admit, for that type of lexus i too would expect someting that looks a little more different than a camry.

think of the ls400's. looked nothing like a camry or cressida at the time. yet, these days, they seem to have got lazy with their body design, not unlike other manufactureres, yet not really justifiable for the price tag.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #17
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loq
I agree but what I meant to say is that pretty much anything looks better than the 7-Series Beemer's...someone should have taken out Chris Bangle a looong time ago (I can't stand those Z4's either : ).

Anyways, I always thought Lexus was taking design cues from the E-class Mercs (eg. LS430). I think Lexus is looking for something unique with their hybrid approach to win some Euro customers...