Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
early ford bris
Starter Motor

Default restored car bodies

Hi. We are after peoples thoughts on buying restored car bodies(not just fords) For years we have had people phone or came into our workshop to see if we had any Project cars for sale eg,Rolling shells that have had all rust removed and replated,all door gaps and panels religned all basiclly ready for paint. For referance check ebay item 330196027269 or our web site
www.earlyfords.com.au under cars for sale.
two questions to ask
1 what car body ford xrtwyabc holden eh hk vb vk vn chev chrysler ????
2 what price
I know all cars have different values so your thoughts and imput would be a help to us in deciding if we precede this way thank you

early ford bris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Super Roo 1970
Windsor=Screamer

Easy, buy plenty of coupes, you will never have trouble offloading those for a profit.
Super Roo 1970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
Casablanca
carburettor

i agree with roo on this one cant beat the coupes for mass profit ANCIN:
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lots of chrysler VG/VF coupes would sell in an instant i reckon
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Chargers and 70's Falcon coupes for sure.

Also all of the 60's and 70's Falcon sedans might be a good idea, especially XA & XB.

Maybe look at Monaros as well.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
TZENU
XY Driv3r

After browsing much of the Project threads on this site.. I'd dare say that the XA-C coupes would be the best seller for the Fords.. The rust found on these cars are unbelievable...

To avoid going through all the heartache that most these blokes went through while restoring the body could only be a good thing surely.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
After browsing much of the Project threads on this site.. I'd dare say that the XA-C coupes would be the best seller for the Fords.. The rust found on these cars are unbelievable...

To avoid going through all the heartache that most these blokes went through while restoring the body could only be a good thing surely.
Personally after knowing what hides behind some panels id rather be present during the repairs...
That said i can't see how the economics of doing this would work, the past 2 bare shell resto's ive seen have been $25k+ propositions just to get in primer ready for paint, hardly viable unless its a GT...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Well, not knowing how good your prep/panel work is, its a bit hard...
But paying your staff prep this car while you are making $0 until it's ready for sale, is a bit different...
And what will you do with the rest of the parts? interior, bumpers, driveline etc...?
Just crate them up and sell them with it? or just send off a roller with nothing but a bare shell and let them fill in the gaps?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Personally after knowing what hides behind some panels id rather be present during the repairs...
That said i can't see how the economics of doing this would work, the past 2 bare shell resto's ive seen have been $25k+ propositions just to get in primer ready for paint, hardly viable unless its a GT...
My panelshop took in an XA Fairmont coupe. He got it for 12k off an old geezer, 7.5k for paint as it was mostly clean and he's been offered 60k on it.

It took out best XA at the all ford coupe cruise a couple months ago, summer gold? colour if i'm not mistaken. There's a photo in performance ford (last months issue I think).

People paying 25k+ for bare metal to get it to primer are nuts IMO, unless it's in a similar state to recoils maybe.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post