Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2007, 10:31 AM   #31
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I'd hardly call a Falcon a small car....

I think he's talking about when the Focus starts getting built here in 2010.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #32
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I think he's talking about when the Focus starts getting built here in 2010.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
.......? He is talking about the Focus being built here in 2010......
That I was. :

Mondeo has already proven itself. It hasn't been on sale two months, and is already Australia's best Midsized car, in Diesel form from the (non-biased) NRMA/RACV group. Mondeo is also in the running for Wheels COTY, whereas the Epica isn't. It was eliminated A) Because it doesn't have ESP, and B) Because it is crap compared to the rest of the field.

Edit: I just thought I would add this quote from the Wheels site regarding Mondeo:

Quote:
Ford Mondeo
A brilliant mid-sizer with first-rate steering, ride and handling.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #33
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

epica is one of the most out of proportion cars ive ever seen. damn its ugly
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #34
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
WTF..those cars are actually pretty damn nice, and handle well through a sorted suspension setup thats great in factory spec.

What annoys me is the supply line, I mean seriously how many times have we heard it! Happened with the Fiesta and Focus initially.
Yeah what the hell is wrong with Ford.

It took them 18months from scratch to create the Mustang and they were expecting to sell around 100,000 a year but were quite able to up production to meet the ONE MILLION SALES in the first year of sale.

They keep bloody doing this. They close down factories and lay off a lot of people so they can have full capacity but of demand takes off they can't meet it. Or if that fails they will finally make a good product that sells really well and then the next model update they will completely butcher it or change the name to confuse buyers ie. The Taurus.

Ford and Holden really need to lift their game and put some engineers on the board of directors instead of the corporate raiders they currently have.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #35
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Yeah what the hell is wrong with Ford.

It took them 18months from scratch to create the Mustang and they were expecting to sell around 100,000 a year but were quite able to up production to meet the ONE MILLION SALES in the first year of sale.

They keep bloody doing this. They close down factories and lay off a lot of people so they can have full capacity but of demand takes off they can't meet it. Or if that fails they will finally make a good product that sells really well and then the next model update they will completely butcher it or change the name to confuse buyers ie. The Taurus.

Ford and Holden really need to lift their game and put some engineers on the board of directors instead of the corporate raiders they currently have.
I think you will find that its not really a problem with ford due to supply, Austrlia is such a small market and so remote compared to most other western countrys, we will always be last in the supply of everything, not just cars, we are always last to get latest technology too.
Its not really a problem with manufacturing the required numbers, when a product is very popular the companies will simply cater for the market which purchases the most and will give the company the most profit first, then other markets will follow, its simple economics.
Wouldn't you sell to the client that orders the most products before a client that orders only a faction too?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #36
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Well considering imports make up 80% of the market I thought at least the overseas companies gave a stuff.
Old 18-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Remember the Laser was a Mazda 323 the Telstar a Mazda 626 and the Corsair a Nissan Pintara.

Mazda market research has shown that the Mazda 3 buyers are mostly former Laser buyers. People didn't identify with the Focus and always knew the Laser was a rebadged Mazda so they all started buying Mazda 3's.
Also remember that the Focus shares the same platform and engines as the Mazda 3, so whats the difference.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #38
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Also remember that the Focus shares the same platform and engines as the Mazda 3, so whats the difference.
Don't forget the Volvo S40/V50.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #39
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How the small and small-mid sized market has really been performing from Russ:

For sure the Holden Daewoos have not been selling well, nor have the Euro Fords, with Barina still outselling Fiesta, and Focus arguably doing similiar figures to Korean Astra, although looks to be improving.

However the trends also suggest that buyers who didnt like the Daewoo Astra switched to the Corolla and Mazda 3 instead of the Focus.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 03:11 PM   #40
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Mazda looks good and has the "sporty" SP23 version and the awesome 190kw MPS version.