Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Default Truck crash on SE Freeway today (Brisbane)

Was on my way back from christmas shopping this afternoon and came to the SE Freeway and was coming up the Duke Street on-ramp when I noticed the traffic was a bit sluggish for no apparent reason. Then I see some dude with a backpack running down the embankment from the freeway (which is raised). Seconds later I hear a cop car roaring up behind us in the transit lane with sirens on. As it passes I notice its a paddywagon and it eventually throws on the anchors and 2 coppers jump out. This dude sees the coppers getting out and starts legging it across the on ramp then slows down and gives up running.

Thinking "what the hell" I keep driving then I see this massive semi sitting jack-knifed on the freeway above us. I look closer and realise its lost its entire front end, that is the entire front running gear, axles and suspension included, are no longer part of the truck and the truck cab is sitting on the roadway with the wheels about 50m behind it. Turns out the truck had smashed into a concrete roadwork barrier and this is what apparently tore the truck body and its running gear apart. News said diesel went all over the shop which then lead to the closure of the SE Freeway at that point.

I was totally amazed to see that. Witnesses on TV said the driver swerved side to side and smashed into several barriers before one of them pulled him to an abrupt stop. Miraculously nobody was injured or killed!

Anyone know what went down? Was the guy I saw running trying to get away from the cops?

Old 17-12-2007, 12:08 AM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol would have been funny to see, did they pwnage him to the ashpault like in worlds wildest police chases and the black guys in america?

(*statement of fact, not racism, they are more brutal to "black" people in america then white*)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My guess is the dude running has been watching a lot of movies and was escaping the imminent fireball

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Also another on the Gateway this arvo petrol tanker rolled both sth and nth bound lanes blocked near Nudgee road
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
lol would have been funny to see, did they pwnage him to the ashpault like in worlds wildest police chases and the black guys in america?

(*statement of fact, not racism, they are more brutal to "black" people in america then white*)
Yeah real funny.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Yeah, my boss told me to go through the city because the gateway was closed, over the story bridge onto the bruce highway on my way out to Caboolture with some pipes. That was ok until i tried to come back to Salisbury to load out. No street directory because i only ever go to Banyo, Caboolture and Salisbury. I took the inner city bypass by mistake and got totally lost. I ended up in some park under the indooropilly bridge. That was fun. I should have just stayed in the roadblock. at least i would have saved 3 hours of fuel and not gotten lost!
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
kaldek

It's funny the stuff you see the coppers do some days. Recently I was driving behind my mate on the South Gippsland Hwy just next to the Lynbrook shops. The cops had stopped a BA wagon and when my mate drove past ahead of me the copper was legging it after a young bloke who had made a runner from the passenger seat. By the time I got there 15 seconds later he had the lad face down, knee in the back and was smacking the guy repeatedly in the head to stop him struggling. In the meantime his g/f (or mum?) was legging it over to the copper whilst the cop's female partner was making a beeline for this lady to stop her from pushing the other copper off the young lad.

All in the space of 30 seconds. Gotta love living in the far out 'burbs.
kaldek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
Yeah, my boss told me to go through the city because the gateway was closed, over the story bridge onto the bruce highway on my way out to Caboolture with some pipes. That was ok until i tried to come back to Salisbury to load out. No street directory because i only ever go to Banyo, Caboolture and Salisbury. I took the inner city bypass by mistake and got totally lost. I ended up in some park under the indooropilly bridge. That was fun. I should have just stayed in the roadblock. at least i would have saved 3 hours of fuel and not gotten lost!

Holy crap, you really did get lost...........

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 12:12 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Holy crap, you really did get lost...........
Its not hard to do in Brisbane.

I remember trying to get out of it once, followed a sign for the Sunshine Coast driving along the Riverside Expressway (whatever its called), I ended up in the Gap. There were no more Sunshine Coast signs after the first, it was peak hour and I had never driven there before.

We decided to make the most of it, and deliberately took a scenic route through mountains to get home. Long night.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There seems to have been lots of accidents with trucks lately :(
Had a few regular truck drivers come into work tonight really irritated because of the 'moron' (their words) hit a barrier and caused chaos, they were most unimpressed.

Oh and getting lost is something I have perfected here in Queensland, without fail and even directions I can still manage to get lost on a lot of outings :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #11
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Thanks for letting me feel like a human. my boss is from Jimboomba and he can't believe i can get lost. "Just follow the signs! You can't get lost!" Yeah, but what about the little surprises when the road splits in two, i'm in another lane and i don't recognise the names on the sign. He tried to direct me out of where he "thought" i was and i was somewhere else??
I'm from Adelaide, the town where if you miss a turnoff, you can take the next one and go around the block and have another shot. I like it this way.

Thanks guys.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHUTE6
I'm from Adelaide, the town where if you miss a turnoff, you can take the next one and go around the block and have another shot. I like it this way.
I am from the Riverland originally and was also used to going to Adelaide where it is normal roads.... very unlike Brisbane :

So I hope all those nasty people that tease me for getting lost are reading this thread so they can see it is NOT just me that it happens to

In regards to accidents (thread reason) I am really hoping there is no more and most definitely no serious ones. Drive safely to all people on the roads this silly season
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post